Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Miami, Florida

Moving to Miami, Florida

So my wife and I are moving to sunny Miami in about a month. We bought a house and will be starting jobs at the UM. Since I've become a regular poster on these boards, and feel like I know some of you fairly well by now, I thought I'd try to pool your collective knowledge about something that has nothing to do with Reds baseball.

Has anyone lived in Miami before or visited extensively? Any experiences, tips, recommendations, or various knowledge about the city that you feel like sharing?

I'm from Oxford, Ohio originally, so I've already dealt with the irony of moving from Miami University to the University of Miami (it seems that whichever place you live, people confuse your school with the other one). I've lived in the midwest all my life (with the exception of two years in France), so this will be quite a change. I'm curious what people have to say about Miami: cool places to get Floribbean food, listen to Latin music... you name it, it will all be new to me!

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by RedEye; 07-08-2007 at 10:06 AM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Moving to Miami, Florida

Learn spanish (if you don't already speak it).

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    So my wife and I are moving to sunny Miami in about a month. We bought a house and will be starting jobs at the UM. Since I've become a regular poster on these boards, and feel like I know some of you fairly well by now, I thought I'd try to pool your collective knowledge about something that has nothing to do with Reds baseball.

Has anyone lived in Miami before or visited extensively? Any experiences, tips, recommendations, or various knowledge about the city that you feel like sharing?

I'm from Oxford, Ohio originally, so I've already dealt with the irony of moving from Miami University to the University of Miami (it seems that whichever place you live, people confuse your school with the other one). I've lived in the midwest all my life (with the exception of two years in France), so this will be quite a change. I'm curious what people have to say about Miami: cool places to get Floribbean food, listen to Latin music... you name it, it will all be new to me!

Thanks in advance.
    You should refer to University of Miami as Miami(Florida).
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Yeah, we're planning on taking an intensive course in the fall. Just visiting for a short time, it becomes very obvious that English is the second language there.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Yeah, we're planning on taking an intensive course in the fall. Just visiting for a short time, it becomes very obvious that English is the second language there.
    It's weird to experience such severe culture shock within your own country, huh?

Same way in many parts of California and some parts of the southwest as well, I believe.

It's weird to experience such severe culture shock within your own country, huh?

Same way in many parts of California and some parts of the southwest as well, I believe.
    It certainly does have a southern culture as well. I've never even lived in the South before, only visited NC twice for weddings. It's just a completely different type of social culture -- even on an everyday basis, people seem friendly in a much more intimate way, or something. Combine that with sugary iced tea and the aforementioned Latin influences, and Miami sets itself apart right away.

One thing I can tell you though: AWESOME seafood.

Do you enjoy nightlife?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Hi RedEye,

I've been living in Weston for about 4 1/2 years now. Big move for me since I was living in Venezuela previously.

I make a "suburban" life here (look it up on a map...about 15 min east of FLL and 45 min north of Miami) in one of those 'gated communities".
    I try to avoid going to the city, but it's not totally possible for business reasons (bankers are downtown).

It would be interesting to know what part of the city you plan to live in. Many people live up north in Broward county and commute down to the city.
    They also do it for the schools. Public schools in Dade do not have a good rep. (my banker friends send their kids to private schools...).

Housing can be expensive in the better parts of Dade...as you will find most things are (compared to Ohio).

Can't tell you 'bout the nightlife, 'cause I'm past that stage. However, I'll go with my folks to the theater once in a while (Miami Beach - Jackie Gleason Theater) and even the Opera (on Calle 8, I believe). Fort Lauderdale has nice Performing Arts Center also.

What I do a lot is travel...for business and pleasure and in that regard, Miami is a good springboard to Latin America. The Airport is horrible (you probably know that), but 3 hours will put you ANYWHERE in Central America or the Caribbean/Northern South America.

If you have kids, its a 3-4 hour drive to Orlando. You can go any weekend that's NOT a holiday and enjoy line-free rides.

As for the city...beware of traffic. The Dolphin Expressway will clog up in both directions regularly and of course 1-95 is slow going South in the morning and north in the afternoon.

Lots of golf courses, if you play (I don't). You can play year round if you can stand the heat in summer.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Do you enjoy nightlife?
    Yes, I do... although more the married type of nightlife than the club scene...

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Hi RedEye,

I've been living in Weston for about 4 1/2 years now. Big move for me since I was living in Venezuela previously.

I make a "suburban" life here (look it up on a map...about 15 min east of FLL and 45 min north of Miami) in one of those 'gated communities".
    I try to avoid going to the city, but it's not totally possible for business reasons (bankers are downtown).

It would be interesting to know what part of the city you plan to live in. Many people live up north in Broward county and commute down to the city.
    They also do it for the schools. Public schools in Dade do not have a good rep. (my banker friends send their kids to private schools...).

Housing can be expensive in the better parts of Dade...as you will find most things are (compared to Ohio).

Can't tell you 'bout the nightlife, 'cause I'm past that stage. However, I'll go with my folks to the theater once in a while (Miami Beach - Jackie Gleason Theater) and even the Opera (on Calle 8, I believe). Fort Lauderdale has nice Performing Arts Center also.

What I do a lot is travel...for business and pleasure and in that regard, Miami is a good springboard to Latin America. The Airport is horrible (you probably know that), but 3 hours will put you ANYWHERE in Central America or the Caribbean/Northern South America.

If you have kids, its a 3-4 hour drive to Orlando. You can go any weekend that's NOT a holiday and enjoy line-free rides.

As for the city...beware of traffic. The Dolphin Expressway will clog up in both directions regularly and of course 1-95 is slow going South in the morning and north in the afternoon.

Lots of golf courses, if you play (I don't). You can play year round if you can stand the heat in summer.
    We bought a 3/2 house in Coral Gate, which is a small suburb just a few blocks from the Miracle Mile in Coral Gables. It was darn expensive, but a loan program from the UM helped us to manage the mortgage. We chose the location because it seemed to be well-situated for walks into coffee houses and shops, as well as close to all the hot spots.

We don't have any kids yet, so schools won't be of a concern for awhile, although I have also heard that Miami schools can be a mixed bag.

I don't play golf, but I am considering adopting the Marlins as my new second team. To me there is just something charming about a young, talented group of upstarts that have no fans. Plus I think you can get tickets for like $3 since no one goes to the games.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Coral Gables is an excellent place for a young couple. My sister lived there for a long time, so I know the area, but still get lost when I drive (the "grid" kind of gets lost in there).

I don't eat out down there much, but I did go to Cacao, a noveau Venezuelan-cuisine place on Giralda Ave. (in front of Miss Saigon..which is also supposed to be good...Vietnamese). Wife and I enjoyed that.

A suggestion for your mental health. Don't get too hung up on the "English" thing. There are places and people who don't speak it so well down here and you may be greeted in Spanish at times.
    Some people get really annoyed by that (This is AMERICA speak ENGLISH). It's not worth it, IMO. Go with the flow and you'll avoid that anguish. The immigrants kids hardly speak it anyway, so THEY (the Spanglophones) won't be "taking over" anytime soon.

Another issue is crime. Down in Miami, you probably have to be more careful about certain things like locking doors, etc. than in Ohio. Don't buy a laptop and put it in your car trunk while you eat lunch, for example. I've had several friends lose their purchases that way. No need to be paranoid...just a bit more careful.

If your wife doesn't like baseball and/or you want some company for a Marlins game...PM me.

Ditto for anything else you may need help on.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    You should refer to University of Miami as Miami(Florida).
    I make a point of doing that always. I always ask people which one has been around longer.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Maybe they should learn English

Of course, that's another debate, for another thread, on another board.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Coral Gables is an excellent place for a young couple. My sister lived there for a long time, so I know the area, but still get lost when I drive (the "grid" kind of gets lost in there).

I don't eat out down there much, but I did go to Cacao, a noveau Venezuelan-cuisine place on Giralda Ave. (in front of Miss Saigon..which is also supposed to be good...Vietnamese). Wife and I enjoyed that.

A suggestion for your mental health. Don't get too hung up on the "English" thing. There are places and people who don't speak it so well down here and you may be greeted in Spanish at times.
    Some people get really annoyed by that (This is AMERICA speak ENGLISH). It's not worth it, IMO. Go with the flow and you'll avoid that anguish. The immigrants kids hardly speak it anyway, so THEY (the Spanglophones) won't be "taking over" anytime soon.

Another issue is crime. Down in Miami, you probably have to be more careful about certain things like locking doors, etc. than in Ohio. Don't buy a laptop and put it in your car trunk while you eat lunch, for example. I've had several friends lose their purchases that way. No need to be paranoid...just a bit more careful.

If your wife doesn't like baseball and/or you want some company for a Marlins game...PM me.

Ditto for anything else you may need help on.
    Thanks for all the advice, oneupper. I very well may take you up on the offer!

I lived in West Palm Beach for several years and spent quite a bit of time in Miami. Pretty good town for pro sports fans; although, with NCAA sports, you will find that there are just as many Gator and Seminole fans in greater Dade County as there are Hurricanes. If you can stand going to watch a game at the Orange Bowl, the atmosphere can be pretty lively. Last time I was there, it was being held together by chewing gum and electrical tape--so, you might consider wearing a hardhat if you go.

I echo what others have said about many Miamiers who are now living in Broward County (one county to the north) due to crime and overcrowding. After Hurricane Andrew in 1992, insuring a home in those counties became very cost prohibitive. I hope that you have already done some shopping around in that arena, or else you could get really burned. Traffic sucks in either county unless you start to learn the shortcuts. It shouldn't take that long if you are good with directions. There are several areas which you should avoid at night at all costs (see: Pork & Beans District and Liberty City). Think Grand Theft Auto: Vice City if you do not know what I mean....

South Beach is overrated. Never bring your wife/girlfriend there because she will stop eating for six days afterwards. You are just as likely to see a jaw-dropping beauty in the Broward Mall as you are outside the Colony Hotel in South Beach. If I did not have children, I would much rather spend the afternoon driving through the Keys as I would driving to Orlando.

Oh yeah...If you dislike Ricky Martin and Gloria Estefan you will soon be attempting to pierce your eardrums with a nearby fruity drink umbrella.

Turn Off Ads?