Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Merged: On a pace / If we keep playing at the rate since PETE MACK...

Haunted by walks

Merged: On a pace / If we keep playing at the rate since PETE MACK...

At this rate under Mackanin, the Reds will go 66-14 the rest of the year and win 97 games.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Re: On a pace

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    At this rate under Mackanin, the Reds will go 66-14 the rest of the year and win 97 games.

I can live with that. If that happens, I'll surrender and recommend Pete for a 1-year contract.

The greatest come back in baseball history. I think that would make up for the first half.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I'd be a true believer, if that happened.

Pass the Kool-Aid!

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I'd be a true believer, if that happened.

Pass the Kool-Aid!

Better make that a double and I will even buy the next round.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    That would be strong. To quite strong.

If we keep playing at the rate since PETE MACK...

We will finish with 86 wins!

Playoff worthy?

What we really need is a 10+ game winning streak, then play at .600+ just like the twins last year.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Re: If we keep playing at the rate since PETE MACK...

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    We will finish with 86 wins!

Playoff worthy?

What we really need is a 10+ game winning streak, then play at .600+ just like the twins last year.
    Holy Cow! I think I'm ordinarily optimistic, but even I haven't gone to this place. Wow - but it would be a sweet dream.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Pete Mac may have made believers out of the Braves by handing them their first home sweep since the early 90s, but he hasn't made a believer out of me. This pace seems far more likely to be the usual bounce that results from a change in managers.
    /r/reds

If our Runs Allowed does not improve - and I see no indication that it will, then we'll be lucky to get within 5 games of .500.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    If our Runs Allowed does not improve - and I see no indication that it will, then we'll be lucky to get within 5 games of .500.
    Sing it, Brother GAC!

In a ridiculously small sample size, P-Mac has turned that frown upside-down:

RS: 69
    RA: 49

I'm not entirely confident we'll keep up this torrid pace but its nice to roll down the window and feel the cool breeze every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Hear ye, hear ye.

Pitching and defense, that's what we need. In heeps and spoonfuls.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Re: Merged: On a pace / If we keep playing at the rate since PETE MACK...

Just something from the game the other day. And Pete's ability to do whatever in his means (within reason) to win games.

Mackanin has nothing to loseposted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 | Feedback | Print Entry

Pete Mackanin's title is interim manager, and there is no side agreement, no guarantee that he is going to manage the Reds next year, or even tomorrow. Cincinnati could hire someone like Joe Girardi this summer or Tony La Russa in the offseason, and Mackanin would be out of a job. He is realistic about the possibilities.
    "I'm in a precarious situation," he said the other day, in the visiting manager's office at Shea Stadium. "I'm aware of it."

But the circumstances are liberating for him, in a sense. He can do what he wants, when he wants to, and do everything he can to take advantage of this opportunity and help build his case to be a major league manager -- if not with the Reds, then with some other team.

So far, so good. The Reds were 31-51 on the day that Jerry Narron was fired, and there was a sense in the clubhouse that the players were drifting, not playing intensely. Cincinnati is now 9-4 since Mackanin took over, and in their most recent victory, their interim manager took the kind of chance that might go against the book, the kind of chance he feels free to take. This is from The Associated Press account of the game:

Cincinnati employed an unusual defense in the 10th to extinguish a Braves rally.
    With Chipper Jones standing on third with one out and Jeff Francoeur about to hit, Reds interim manager Pete Mackanin moved center fielder Ryan Freel in front of the bag at second, and the strategy paid off.

Brandon Phillips made a leaping catch of Francoeur's liner before throwing to third baseman Jeff Keppinger to force out Jones, who had moved down the line to score the winning run. Jones' RBI double earlier in the inning off David Weathers tied it at 3.

"When I hit it, I thought the game was over," Francoeur said. "He got it, and that stunned me. And then of course he threw out Chipper. It was like a nightmare, and then the game went on for another two hours. As the game went on, it didn't seem like we were supposed to win."

Mackanin said the other day, "It's my job to come up with a scheme to have a little bit more success. ... I want to win, I want to manage in the big leagues. ... It's too easy to cover your rear end by bringing in righty-righty, lefty-lefty. You take some chances."

Mackanin recalled a conversation he had with Felipe Alou when he was a coach for Alou with the Expos. Alou had a reputation for trying different things, double steals and hit-and-runs in crazy situations, and he explained it to Mackanin: When you are the Expos and you are playing a team like the Atlanta Braves, you need to try different things. If you are Pete Mackanin and you are an interim manager and you want to be manager, permanently, you take chances.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?