Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9-2 on a last place club

9-2 on a last place club

is amazing

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 9-2 on a last place club

amazing + lucky

Harang is a great pitcher but to be 9-2 on a horrible team you need to have a great deal of luck also.

Quote Originally Posted by UC_Ken View Post
    amazing + lucky

Harang is a great pitcher but to be 9-2 on a horrible team you need to have a great deal of luck also.
    Here's the thing....it's not really luck...lets look at the situation. You are on a horrible team. Why is the team horrible? Reason #1 - an awful bullpen. If you are an innings eater with a good ERA you will be much more successful than the team average. Its that easy. Give or take a win due to luck, and Harang is still having a great year.

Look at tonight...this was a win earned by Aaron. 2 run HR in the first to Bonds. 30+ pitches in the first. Bases loaded 1 out later on....but no runs allowed. Yet he battles and battles and picks up the W. I am disgusted to hear the word luck mentioned in regards to this. Granted that 16 run game is going to mess up his Runs Scored (by the Reds) per game...so lets not break out that stat.

Put me in the camp that thinks Harang has earned his 9-2 record.

I can see it now-Aaron Harang will lead the league in strikeouts and wins and will fail to get a single vote for the Cy Young award.

Just think how many more wins he would have if the bullpen could hold a lead.

It really is a shame the guy cant get any recognition outside the city. Not a single CY vote last year and he can't sniff an All-Star game. But at least he got paid.

uoduck1017

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Here's the thing....it's not really luck...lets look at the situation. You are on a horrible team. Why is the team horrible? Reason #1 - an awful bullpen. If you are an innings eater with a good ERA you will be much more successful than the team average. Its that easy. Give or take a win due to luck, and Harang is still having a great year.

Look at tonight...this was a win earned by Aaron. 2 run HR in the first to Bonds. 30+ pitches in the first. Bases loaded 1 out later on....but no runs allowed. Yet he battles and battles and picks up the W. I am disgusted to hear the word luck mentioned in regards to this. Granted that 16 run game is going to mess up his Runs Scored (by the Reds) per game...so lets not break out that stat.

Great post, Kal. 9-2 is definately a testament to Aaron's talent as a pitcher rather than him having a lot of luck. The wins (though not many) have to come from somewhere, and in this case, they (nearly 30%) come from our ace.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

I definitely agree that Harang has definitely earned his 9-2 record, but he is very well supported (even without that 16 run game). Anyone know where I can look up that stat?

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by OSUmed2010 View Post
    I definitely agree that Harang has definitely earned his 9-2 record, but he is very well supported (even without that 16 run game). Anyone know where I can look up that stat?
    Try here although I couldn't find per game run support, just a season average.

Interesting that the Reds are 13-5 when Aaron starts and 4-13 when Bronny starts. The run support between them is interesting too: 6 runs (Harang) to just under 4 (Arroyo).

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...?playerId=5181
    (Last nights game is not on there...yet)

Let's look a little in-depth here. Looking through the games at some basic figures.

The Reds have a 13-5 record when Aaron starts.

Aaron failed to get a decision in 2 Reds victories, a 1-0 game and a 2-1 game. Arguably 2 of his best games of the year. Lets give him 2 more wins for argument sake. Also, he allowed 2 runs over 8 IP in that Pittsburgh debacle in extra innings. No decision either. Make it 3 more wins.

Ok, I know in baseball a pitcher is going to not get a decision in some games where he pitches great. But Harang, with some luck could even be 12-3 right now.

Fact is, he could have a few more W's very easily, and a few more L's easily. I think his current record speaks for how well he pitches and manages the game while on the mound. He knows how to battle and hang around.

nice post KalDaniels

Another great site with easily sortable data
    http://www.baseball-reference.com

The bull pen was not to blame for his two losses, in one he left the bases loaded in the 6th with no outs (3 walks)

The other game he also gave up 5 runs.

what had done in our pitching staff is lack of run support. Period.

Harang has 7 games this season with 5 ER. He only has 2 losses.

I think Harang is one of the better pitchers in the NL but there is an element of luck in him only having 2 losses.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Steve Carlton on the 1972 Phillies immediately came to mind when reading this.

Harang is a terrific pitcher. I still remember him outdueling Carpenter last year against the Cards. What a performance.

Maybe the team has more hope when Aaron's on the mound, so they play with more confidence and score more runs? He leads the league in run support.

Turn Off Ads?