Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you renew him as Manager?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 40.00%
  • No

24 60.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Pete plays .600 ball with this team for the season...

If Pete plays .600 ball with this team for the season...

Do you renew his contract?
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If Pete plays .600 ball with this team for the season...

They'd have to renew him. Won't happen though. If for no other reason then there's no reason to believe that this bullpen will improve that drastically. Late-inning melt downs have been the most consistent facet of this team.

I think you're just as apt to see a downturn by Weathers as any significant upswing by the rest.

the problem is that winning should not be Pete's main objective(although it is). His goal should be to try and evaluate bullpen personnel. So what if the Reds win a few more games than expected. The pen is a disaster and the Reds need to figure out what they have(or don't have)
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

No.

When I heard Pete talk at his press conference, I realized he was management material. Double yikes. Just like Miley and Narron before him, all he has to do is go .500 or so to tempt our clueless FO that he should be the man. I still predict he might do that. I can see Krivsky trading to make this team better rather than blowing it up for the future. That along with Mackannon will assure another 10-12 years of futility. The Reds need to cut their losses and change everything. They won't.

Are you going to renew him as interim manager? Because that's what he currently is.

Mackanin was hired to be the manager for the rest of the year. That's a time period that, once it's past, can't be renewed. Beyond that fact, I'd like to see the Reds stick to a plan for once. For instance, 'the plan' was to leave Homer at AAA this year and bring him up to the Bigs in the spring. But the Reds caved into the pressure.

In the case of Mackanin, 'the plan' was for him to manage the team for the rest of the year and then step aside while a search for a long-term manager is conducted. The guy has a total six games under his belt with the Reds and there are already people that have decided that he can walk on water! These are likely the same people that, if MacKanin is named permanent manager, a la Jerry Narron, and the Reds get off to a poor start next year, will be calling for his head and taking management to task for bringing him back.

Rem

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Winning when the season is shot and there is no pressure to win says nothing about your quality as a big league manager to me.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

No, let him get an interview but definitely interview a bunch of people, don't blow this.
    Go Gators!

No way but unfortunately if the Reds play even .500 ball the rest of the way Pete (M.) will be back.

Follow the process. No shortcuts - but make Pete part of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Winning when the season is shot and there is no pressure to win says nothing about your quality as a big league manager to me.
    BINGO. Being a spoiler is easy.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    No.

When I heard Pete talk at his press conference, I realized he was management material. Double yikes. Just like Miley and Narron before him, all he has to do is go .500 or so to tempt our clueless FO that he should be the man. I still predict he might do that. I can see Krivsky trading to make this team better rather than blowing it up for the future. That along with Mackannon will assure another 10-12 years of futility. The Reds need to cut their losses and change everything. They won't.
    But if your team improves in the second half, with basically the exact roster that the previous manager dug you a hole with, then what is wrong with taking a serious look at that guy for consideration? Because he's not a big name, established manager? Those guys started out as nobody's too. And after all - isn't the bottomline about results/performance? It's not right to say he's another Dave Miley or Jerry Narron. Based on what?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    BINGO. Being a spoiler is easy.

There's nothing easy about playing or managing in the bigs.

Nothing.

Your job is always on the line, with a hoard of qualified replacements waiting in the wings for their once in a lifetime shot.

Narron may well never get another chance to manage. Pete knows all too well that this could be his only shot as well.

There's nothing easy about it in any way.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    There's nothing easy about playing or managing in the bigs.

Nothing.

Your job is always on the line, with a hoard of qualified replacements waiting in the wings for their once in a lifetime shot.

Narron may well never get another chance to manage. Pete knows all too well that this could be his only shot as well.

There's nothing easy about it in any way.
    Exactly. Now it can be asked - what does this FO expect out of Pete for the remainder of '07? What possible directives have they given him, if any?.... try to win as many games as possible and move the team to some semblance of respectibility OR use your time to evaluate players and separate the wheat from the chaff?

If it's the latter, then he has no chance of being considered for extension.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Unless they win while he is doing the latter...

No way. Cast got burnt when he extended Narron early. He is not going to make another snap decision especially after the reds fans have seen Miley and Narron get the job after decent finishes to the season.

I dont think the front office can sell another interm manager getting the full time job.

Turn Off Ads?