Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it wise to trade Hatti????

Is it wise to trade Hatti????

He has always been a great player for us since he came here and he seems like he would be a good leader on the team.Now he is on fire and like Welsh said today would the reds be messing up if they traded Hatti??

Whats your thought!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is it wise to trade Hatti????

Very wise to trade him. First off, like you said he has been on fire. He is not a part of the future of the Reds and the Reds have his replacement right now and ready to go in Joey Votto.

Get the most you can for him now while you still can. I have nothing against Hatteberg, heck he has been just fine for the Reds. I just want what is best for this team and moving him is what is best.

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    He has always been a great player for us since he came here and he seems like he would be a good leader on the team.Now he is on fire and like Welsh said today would the reds be messing up if they traded Hatti??

Whats your thought!!
    It depends on what is offered. I say hold onto him unless someone overpays. The Reds don't need another Anderson Machado, and Votto won't suffer in AAA.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I say stick with old guys who aren't part of the future. Makes sense to me.

This organization has shown no inclination to want to rebuild. I exepect they will hang on to Hatty and he will be the 1b in 2008.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Votto is obviously the future so you need to make room for him.

But don't assume he will be a better player than Hatte has been. Younger, cheaper, longer future ahead, sure. But better? Votto's got a long way to go to be a better player than Hatteberg. Scott has been an excellent offensive player for many years, including his two years with the Reds.

Hatt falls apart in the Augest/September timeframe consistantly and he can't hit left handed pitching. I don't need to watch it again. Some of the posts on this board are

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Very wise to trade him. First off, like you said he has been on fire. He is not a part of the future of the Reds and the Reds have his replacement right now and ready to go in Joey Votto.

Get the most you can for him now while you still can. I have nothing against Hatteberg, heck he has been just fine for the Reds. I just want what is best for this team and moving him is what is best.
    I agree, he is a fine player and would benefit a number of clubs who might be overanxious to get him. At least I hope so.
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Votto is obviously the future so you need to make room for him.

But don't assume he will be a better player than Hatte has been. Younger, cheaper, longer future ahead, sure. But better? Votto's got a long way to go to be a better player than Hatteberg.
    Votto's career will be extrememly sad if he isn't a much better play than Hatteberg.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Hatt falls apart in the Augest/September timeframe consistantly and he can't hit left handed pitching. I don't need to watch it again. Some of the posts on this board are
    From what I hear, Votto is not exactly an all-star against lefty pitching. As for August-September, not always easy to predict. A lot of Redszoners said Hatte would bomb out in 2007, a prediction that didn't hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    From what I hear, Votto is not exactly an all-star against lefty pitching. As for August September, a lot of people used the crystal ball to predict Hatte would have a lousy 2007. Didn't happen.
    Hatty's 2007 looks a lot like 2006(in which he tanked the last 2 months). Does it mean he will tank this year? No, but it doesn't matter anyway because the Reds are out of it this year.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Votto's career will be extrememly sad if he isn't a much better play than Hatteberg.
    Hatteberg has made it a fine career as a big league ballplayer -- most any guy in the minors would kill to have such a "sad" career as Scott Hatteberg has had. Joey Votto's biggest concern right now is not to avoid being Hattberg but to avoid being Brandon Larson.

As for Hatte -- I like the leadership he brings to the team and I think every hitter could learn from his plate discipline and OB skills if he was around as a "mentor" type figure, but at the same time this team is hungry for talent at all levels of the minor leagues and it would be foolhardy to hold onto a player at Hatteberg's age with his value.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Depends. The Reds have a very nice team option at a low rate for next season. Hatteberg would make a tremendous bench player.

I would be all for trading him if the Reds get a player that fits into future plans, but if the return is the usual fringy prospects that won't amount to much, I'd rather keep Hatt as one of the best bench players in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I say stick with old guys who aren't part of the future. Makes sense to me.

This organization has shown no inclination to want to rebuild. I exepect they will hang on to Hatty and he will be the 1b in 2008.

Thats what im affraid of is if we trade all these vets away then we will have to rebuild again and im tired of that.Another thing that worrys me is we build up are pitching staff then we have no hitters b/c we have traded them all away.What if we trade Hatti away and votto becomes another brandon larson.These are the tings that worry me and I agree with flyer we need to stick with the vets atleast for now.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Hatteberg has made it a fine career as a big league ballplayer -- most any guy in the minors would kill to have such a "sad" career as Scott Hatteberg has had.
    Votto is not just "any player". If he doesn't have a career OPS better than 770 he won't be around long.

Hatty has been 2 things
    1) A below average defensive catcher who could swing the bat(for a catcher)
    2) A below average platoon 1b

Votto's track record in the minors suggest he can be much more than that. Will he? That remains to be seen.

Hatty has a good approach at the plate but so does Votto(they both walk quite a bit). By the time a players get to the majors they are already established and hackers are unlikely to change.
    Last edited by flyer85; 07-09-2007 at 01:28 AM.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Hatteberg has made it a fine career as a big league ballplayer -- most any guy in the minors would kill to have such a "sad" career as Scott Hatteberg has had. Joey Votto's biggest concern right now is not to avoid being Hattberg but to avoid being Brandon Larson.

As for Hatte -- I like the leadership he brings to the team and I think every hitter could learn from his plate discipline and OB skills if he was around as a "mentor" type figure, but at the same time this team is hungry for talent at all levels of the minor leagues and it would be foolhardy to hold onto a player at Hatteberg's age with his value.
    Great point! There are certain players who fit into the "mentor" type role. Hatte seems like one of these guys to me. Still, if the price was right, you would be foolish not to trade him away. WK will always sign an old guy next year right?
    Witty signature.

Turn Off Ads?