Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ugly baseball, mistakes that continue, and myths fed to the fans.

Ugly baseball, mistakes that continue, and myths fed to the fans.

The Reds won on Sunday, in spite of hideous play. When Ross was supposed to bunt in the 9th he was at the VERY BACK of the batters box, which lessens your ability to put a ball in play. In fact, Ross bunted a ball that went foul that would have easily been fair had he been at the front of the box. Chris Welch noticed this, and it begs some questions:

1) Why does the announcer 200 ft. away in the booth see this, and the 3rd Base coach does not?

2) If he did see it, is David Ross too sensitive a superstar that the coach can't go up and tell him to get to the front of the box? Of all the Reds' position players, David Ross is paid for fundamentals. You'd think being under the Mendoza line might make him sharpen his bunting skills.

3) It is clear that David Ross was never, ever told in Spring Training, or any other time, that you CANNOT bunt that way. What is this NONSENSE about a hard working coaching staff? Aren't these things BASICS?

4) Brandon Phillips' failure to get a bunt down in the next inning yielded an inning ending double-play. His was simply poor execution. Phillips needs to work on his bunting. But Ross did not put himself in a position in the batter's box to execute! INEXCUSABLE. When, if ever, will all this talk of "the little things" end and real implementation begin? Forget about egos Pete Mackanin--DO IT.

Reds fans had the privilege, albeit 30 years ago, of watching the best baseball ever played. We won't be fooled by a lucky win. It felt gross watching that game today.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ugly baseball, mistakes that continue, and myths fed to the fans.

Ross is probably the second best bunter on the team. he leads all the Reds position players in sacs, and has to squeezes to his credit.

i don't think Phillips bunts well to advance runners, but is much more inclined to bunt for a hit, which seems to me to be a slightly different skillset.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    Ross is probably the second best bunter on the team. he leads all the Reds position players in sacs, and has to squeezes to his credit.

i don't think Phillips bunts well to advance runners, but is much more inclined to bunt for a hit, which seems to me to be a slightly different skillset.
    I agree that bunting for a hit is totally different than bunting to sacrafice. When bunting for a hit you have to do it from your regular stance since the element of surprise is a huge part of being successful. Additionally, you are often bunting the ball based upon the location of the pitch so you can put the ball in any direction.

Bunting to sacrafice is a different situation in that you're not trying to fool anyone---the sole object is to execute correctly. I saw the play in question and heard Welsh's comments. I agree with Wheelhouse---it was poor execution and someone needs to have a talk with Ross (and any others players that may need extra instruction).

Rem

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

From the other side of the coin...

A pop foul that might drop to the ground w/out harm (considering there is not already 2 strikes) might be caught when standing up in the box. Doesn't it work both ways when talking about this detail on where you should stand in the box?

IMO it is a minor thing. Didn't mind hearing Welch mention it, but the difference it makes is not as huge as Chris made it sound. A guy should be able to get a bunt down no matter where he stands in the box. If not, he needs to spend a good hour or so practicing it in the cage below the stadium.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

What about Gonzo's embarassing bunt effort? If you're gonna make an out, then at least do it with some semblance of decency. People are watching.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I don't think there is one proper location in the batter's box to bunt. I also heard a ballplayer from the 70s the other day (can't remember who it was, just remember the era he was from) talking about guys not moving around in the box anymore as a hitting adjustment, such as moving up in the box on a guy with a big sweeping curve. He was bemoaning that "today's" ballplayer just digs in and wails.

Yet, this is a prolonged offensive dominating era.....hmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I don't think there is one proper location in the batter's box to bunt. I also heard a ballplayer from the 70s the other day (can't remember who it was, just remember the era he was from) talking about guys not moving around in the box anymore as a hitting adjustment, such as moving up in the box on a guy with a big sweeping curve. He was bemoaning that "today's" ballplayer just digs in and wails.

Yet, this is a prolonged offensive dominating era.....hmmmmm.

Back in the day, the pitchers were throwing off a 15 inch mound with a much bigger strike zone.

Those changes tipped the balance, IMO, to the hitters era we see today. Change the mound and strike zone back and see what happens. Of course, it will never happen. Chicks dig the long ball, ya know.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Turn Off Ads?