Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 78

Thread: BA Midseason Top 100

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    princeton, nj
    Posts
    9,482

    Re: BA Midseason Top 100

    Patton, Teagarden, Anderson and Drabek? Why, those are princeton cyberdraftees.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: BA Midseason Top 100

    Quote Originally Posted by BucksandReds View Post
    #1 He won't strike out as much as Dunn
    what makes you think that?

    Dunn hit over .300 in his minor league career. He also struck at a lower rate than Bruce and walked at a much higher rate.
    Last edited by flyer85; 07-10-2007 at 12:47 PM.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  4. #18
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: BA Midseason Top 100

    Quote Originally Posted by BucksandReds View Post
    #1 He won't strike out as much as Dunn
    #2 He plays better defense than Dunn
    #3 He'll hit for a higher average than Dunn
    #4 His name is not Adam Dunn
    1) Maybe, maybe not
    2) Very true
    3) Adam Dunn had a career minor league BA of .304 so who knows what to expect
    4) Good point

    Let's just hope Jay hits .300 w/RISP and has a dozen sac flies his rookie year.

  5. #19
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    33,759

    Re: BA Midseason Top 100

    Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    what makes you think that?

    Dunn hit over .300 in his minor league career. He also struck at a lower rate than Bruce and walked at a much higher rate.
    Dunn in the minors was a different breed of hitter than he was once he stepped onto the field in the majors. They made dramatic changes in his approach when he got to the Reds.

  6. #20
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: BA Midseason Top 100

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Dunn in the minors was a different breed of hitter than he was once he stepped onto the field in the majors. They made dramatic changes in his approach when he got to the Reds.
    and Jay Bruce isn't their yet and we really have no idea what will happen to him.

    If he wasn't a Reds prospect people would be bothered by his high K rate and middling walk rate. I am not bothered by either individually but taken together his BB/K(98/244, 32/85 this year) rate is a yellow flag that everyone around here is just ignoring. A rate below 0.5 is a warning. All the other offensive players in the top 15 are at 0.5 or above.

    Anyone want to know what can happen when you hit the majors vs the minors, take a look at Butler's and Saltalamacchia's BB/K ratios.
    Last edited by flyer85; 07-10-2007 at 01:13 PM.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  7. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,375

    Re: BA Midseason Top 100

    Samardzija in any top prospect list is an absolute joke. He's putting up terrible numbers and there is already talk of converting him into an OF. That alone makes this list lose credibility.
    Go BLUE!!!

  8. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,375

    Re: BA Midseason Top 100

    Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    Patton, Teagarden, Anderson and Drabek? Why, those are princeton cyberdraftees.
    so who did you cyberdraft this year?
    Go BLUE!!!

  9. #23
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    33,759

    Re: BA Midseason Top 100

    Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    and Jay Bruce isn't their yet and we really have no idea what will happen to him.

    If he wasn't a Reds prospect people would be bothered by his high K rate and middling walk rate. I am not bothered by either individually but taken together his BB/K(98/244, 32/85 this year) rate is a yellow flag that everyone around here is just ignoring. A rate below 0.5 is a warning. All the other offensive players in the top 15 are at 0.5 or above.
    As long as he is drawing a walk at or near once every 12 plate appearances, I am not worried at all about his walk rate. Strikeouts are nearly meaningless unless he gets into BJ Szymanski territory. Sure, some of the other guys have better walk/strikeouts rates. None of them have the power that Jay does though. Back to Jays walkrate though, since coming to AA it has improved quite a bit. He has 8 walks in 69 plate appearances and 18 strikeouts. He has also walked in 6 straight games down there. On the season he has 32 walks in 367 appearances, which has him walking once every 11.48 times he steps to the plate. Its not anything great, but it is well within acceptable lines for a 20 year old.

  10. #24
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,703

    Re: BA Midseason Top 100

    Quote Originally Posted by BucksandReds View Post
    #1 He won't strike out as much as Dunn
    #2 He plays better defense than Dunn
    #3 He'll hit for a higher average than Dunn
    #4 His name is not Adam Dunn
    None of that matters. If he Ks a bunch, he'll be a target, even if he puts up Pujols numbers.

  11. #25
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: BA Midseason Top 100

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am not worried at all about his walk rate. Strikeouts are nearly meaningless unless he gets into BJ Szymanski territory.
    BTW, strikeouts are either meaningless or they are not. Can't have it both ways. The truth be told, taken individually BB and Ks only paint a partial picture. Neither are particularly important on their own, but if you want a true picture of plate discipline the two stats always need to be evaluated together.

    BB/K rates
    .00 to .25 red flag(a hacker)
    .25 to .50 yellow flag(a potential hacker moving forward)
    .50 to .75 not a problem( somewhat patient hitter, keep an eye on it)
    .75 and above - (hitter with plate discipline, very likely to have success going forward).
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  12. #26
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    33,759

    Re: BA Midseason Top 100

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    None of that matters. If he Ks a bunch, he'll be a target, even if he puts up Pujols numbers.
    Thats not true at all. If he hits .280/.350/.550 with 35+ Hr and 100+ RBI it wont matter if he strikes out 125 times in a season. The only person that people complain about with strikeouts around here is AdamDunn and he strikes out mroe than anyone in the history of the game. If Adam Dunn were to strike out 180 times and do what Ryan Howard did last year, no one would complain because he put up 'numbers'. Honestly, your typical fan doesnt care that Adam Dunn walks 100 times a year because he doesnt drive in runs despite being a home run hitter.

  13. #27
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,703

    Re: BA Midseason Top 100

    Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    BTW, strikeouts are either meaningless or they are not. Can't have it both ways. The truth be told, taken individually BB and Ks only paint a partial picture. Neither are particularly important on their own, but if you want a true picture of plate discipline the two stats always need to be evaluated together.

    BB/K rates
    .00 to .25 red flag(a hacker)
    .25 to .50 yellow flag(a potential hacker moving forward)
    .50 to .75 not a problem( somewhat patient hitter, keep an eye on it)
    .75 and above - (hitter with plate discipline, very likely to have success going forward).
    I see what you're saying, but I gotta agree with doug, it's a bit early to make any real determination here. What he's doing right is currently blowing away what he's doing "wrong."

    This isn't troubling in the way Bailey's command problems are troubling, IMO.

  14. #28
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: BA Midseason Top 100

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If Adam Dunn were to strike out 180 times and do what Ryan Howard did last year, no one would complain because he put up 'numbers'.
    Howard is striking out a higher rate than Dunn, if Howard had not spent time on the DL he would be on pace for 220+ Ks this season(yet Howard is still a productive hitter). The reason Dunn(and Howard as well) gets to put up those K numbers is simply because they still remain productive hitters while doing it. Other high K guys lose their productivity and their playing time as their Ks reach those levels, Dunn and Howard do not.

    BTW, Kearns has cut his K rate down by 30-40% this year, not doing him a lot of good at the moment.
    Last edited by flyer85; 07-10-2007 at 01:39 PM.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  15. #29
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: BA Midseason Top 100

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    What he's doing right is currently blowing away what he's doing "wrong."

    This isn't troubling in the way Bailey's command problems are troubling, IMO.
    It is simply a "yellow flag", that needs to be watched as he moves forward. Billy Butlers AAA vs majors stats give you an idea to what can actually happen to bb/k rates when a player hits the major leagues. I am not suggesting that Bulter will stay anywhere neat 1/16, he is almost a lock for future success a hitter based on his track record and great BB/K rates in the minors.

    Bruce has a potential wart, all I am pointing out is that it is something to keep an eye on.

    BTW, K/BB rates are very important in tracking minor league pitchers as well. It is why I have never been as high on Bailey as most around here.

    For a minor league hitter a BB/K rate below 0.5 shows a lack of plate of plate discipline. A minor league pitcher with a K/BB rate below 2.0 shows a lack of dominance.

    The other factor that is just as important when evaluating minor league numbers is age/level. Both Bruce and Bailey are way ahead of the curve on that one.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  16. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    princeton, nj
    Posts
    9,482

    Re: BA Midseason Top 100

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    so who did you cyberdraft this year?

    on draft morning I went out to get a BA rag, and could find only the previous month's issue. So I was forced to pass -- the Reds were on their own for once. No pressure on them whatsoever.

    they needed a year to catch up to me anyway.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25