Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dan Patrick leaving ESPN

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Dan Patrick leaving ESPN

Dayton native Dan Patrick announced today he is leaving ESPN--radio and TV...I find this disappointing because I have recently started listening again to DP and have enjoyed it--especially the hour with him and Keith Olbermann....any thoughts in Redszone land???

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dan Patrick leaving ESPN

End of an era there. wow
    Go Gators!

ESPN has been going downhill for oh...about a decade.

How I long for the days when they just covered sports and not themselves.

This Budweiser Hot Seat, Who Is Now crap they do is so annoying.

Just stick to highlights, player profiles, classic games, etc.

Booyah!!!!!

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    Dayton native Dan Patrick announced today he is leaving ESPN--radio and TV...I find this disappointing because I have recently started listening again to DP and have enjoyed it--especially the hour with him and Keith Olbermann....any thoughts in Redszone land???
    Correction -- Patrick is a Mason native, University of Dayton graduate.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

My main problem with ESPN is ESPN Classic. They used to have great programming but now they've gone the way of MTV where they barely show anything worth watching at all. When you have a Streetball marathon on ESPN Classic, you know something's wrong.

As for Dan Patrick, I've never been a huge fan of his. He was always sort of standoffish in interviews and it just rubbed me the wrong way.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

The ESPN anchor gig is a young man's game. Kinda like the fastest gun in the west. Patrick is getting a little older.

When they showed the "behind the scenes" version of SportsCenter, you could see that it depends on a lot of fast-twitch muscle and brain fibers. Machine-gun rapid-fire pacing blasting along at 80 bazillion mph.

Certainly not a lot of in-depth analysis. Lots of boo-ya and hollering.

Purely my opinion, but I think Patrick wants to step off the merry-go-round and do something that requires a bit more thought.

Pay attention to the open sky

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Too bad. I like his radio show. When he's just talking sports and pulling in good guests, or going back and forth with Olbermann, it's good. But yes, like with many long-time ESPN personalities, the accumulated weight of the personality can at times become self-caricature.
    Not all who wander are lost

I heard his name mentioned in the PiR host gig...

dabvu--correction noted---thank you....and redsfan30, I could not agree more....when ESPN bought the Classic Sports Network...they ruined it--now it is just a clearinghouse for ESPN's crap programs (poker, american gladiators, endless "Whos #1" specials, etc)....

He has turned down the Price is Right gig....also I fear what this means for the local affiliate (1460 The Fan) as far as 2 -4 pm programming...a return to local yokels???

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    My main problem with ESPN is ESPN Classic. They used to have great programming but now they've gone the way of MTV where they barely show anything worth watching at all. When you have a Streetball marathon on ESPN Classic, you know something's wrong.
    <In Mike Myers/Linda Richman voice>

I'll give you a topic: the 2004 World Series of Poker on ESPN Classic is neither a classic nor a sport. Discuss.

I hate what they've done to ESPN Classic. Nothing but WSOP, PBA Bowling and Sportscentury. I used to love it when they showed that dopey "Sports Challenge" game show hosted by Dick Enberg and his awesomely bad suits, with contestants like Mickey Mantle and Johnny Bench. I loved the old grainy "Home Run Derby" show. And I even loved seeing footage from old - you know, classic - games.

But I digress. I liked Patrick when he teamed with Olbermann but thought he was just ok on his radio show. Good luck to him though.

Can we get him to take Berman with him?
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Purely my opinion, but I think Patrick wants to step off the merry-go-round and do something that requires a bit more thought.
    That's kinda the way it sounded today when he made the announcement.

Though I thought ESPN gave him quite a bit of creative freedom in his radio program.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Can we get him to take Berman with him?

And Stewart Scott (and the Schwab).

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    Sums it up for me. Dan is actually the best personality that ESPN has to offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Maybe he's coming back to WTUE.

Turn Off Ads?