Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Justin Germano

Justin Germano

I recently read that Justin Germano was a contender for Rookie of the Year. He was in our minor league system last year, and Krivsky traded him for one our relievers. I went ahead and looked at his stats on the San Diego Padres website, and here they are. He is 5-3 with a 3.90 era in 11 starts. He has pitched 64.2 innings in his 11 starts, with 13 walks and 33 strikeouts. I hope if Krivsky has learned anything in the last year, it is you don't trade AAA starters for 35-year old relievers who may be gone in a year or two. The Reds could have used Justin Germano in the back end of the rotation this year. He would have had a lot of competition to make the team, but he showed glimpses of this last year in the couple of starts he had for Cincinnati.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Justin Germano

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I recently read that Justin Germano was a contender for Rookie of the Year. He was in our minor league system last year, and Krivsky traded him for one our relievers. I went ahead and looked at his stats on the San Diego Padres website, and here they are. He is 5-3 with a 3.90 era in 11 starts. He has pitched 64.2 innings in his 11 starts, with 13 walks and 33 strikeouts. I hope if Krivsky has learned anything in the last year, it is you don't trade AAA starters for 35-year old relievers who may be gone in a year or two. The Reds could have used Justin Germano in the back end of the rotation this year. He would have had a lot of competition to make the team, but he showed glimpses of this last year in the couple of starts he had for Cincinnati.
    Too bad we didn't have him when he was 35!
    Back to following MiLB; there's always hope for tomorrow!

Senor Votto

Wow he would've helped out a lot.

Harang
    Arroyo
    Lohse
    Bailey
    Germano

Trade Lohse for pen help and do this:
    Harang
    Arroyo
    Bailey
    Germano
    Belisle

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Germano is an AAAA pitcher who had a couple of good starts to start his MLB career and now is reverting to mean. I wouldn't hold my breath with ROY expectations.

The only thing bad about that trade is the guy we traded for.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I suppose we could keep track of his progress. He is a 5th starter for the Padres, and doing well so far.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Germano is an AAAA pitcher who had a couple of good starts to start his MLB career and now is reverting to mean. I wouldn't hold my breath with ROY expectations.

The only thing bad about that trade is the guy we traded for.
    IMO, you summed it up perfectly. It wouldn't surprise me if his K/IP rate is the highest it will ever be.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    IMO, you summed it up perfectly. It wouldn't surprise me if his K/IP rate is the highest it will ever be.
    What evidence do you have for that? He had a couple of good starts last year for the Reds, and he has now turned into a good #5 pitcher for the Padres. He has an era under 4, and a very good bb to k ratio. He has been mentioned in my local paper as a contender for Rookie of the Year. He may yet prove to be a marginal starting pitcher, but right now it looks like the Padres robbed us blind in that trade.

First of all, we traded him to the Phillies for Cormier, who in turn released him and the Pads picked him up. And, he has given up 12 ER in his last two starts, leading many to believe he will regress to his norm. He had one decent start, not even a quality start, before the Reds traded him for the reliever with the best ERA in the majors.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

11larkin11 is right. The Padres weren't brilliant for acquiring him. In fact, the Padres were the first team to give up on him when they traded him to the Reds with Travis Chick for Joe Randa, of all people. Not only did the Reds and Phillies conclude that Germano's ceiling is as a #4 or #5 starter, the Padres did, too. At least the Reds got something for him. Granted, Cormier didn't work out, and feel free to chastise them for that, but in my opinion, the Reds deserve no flack just for parting with Germano.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I hope if Krivsky has learned anything in the last year, it is you don't trade AAA starters for 35-year old relievers who may be gone in a year or two.
    Isn't that what we're hoping to get for Weathers????? AAAA players (which Germano was) get traded all the time for relievers, role players, or as throw-ins on a larger deal. Anyone think it helps Germano to be playing in the expansive Petco Park as opposed to GABP or Citizen's Bank?

Germano has a decent ERA pitching in an extreme pitchers park. Put him in GABP, and he's on a bus back to Louisville.

also, it never ceases to amaze me just how many fans think the Reds traded Germano to San Diego.

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    also, it never ceases to amaze me just how many fans think the Reds traded Germano to San Diego.
    What also amazes me is that many fans blame Krivsky for not analyzing his talent correctly when fact of the matter is there were how many gm's who passed him up once philly released him? It annoyes me when ever a former reds player happens to have some form of success that many reds fans throw it back in the face of management.

Germano was never going to be a top of the line pitcher. He was passed up by over half the GM's in baseball. He WAS NOT a big loss for the reds.

His ceiling may be as a 4th or 5th starter, but you need 4th and 5th starters in the rotation. Homer Bailey got bombed in a couple of his starts. Does that mean he won't be a good pitcher? I agree that the San Diego park may help him. I am willing to keep track on his progress,and I still think it was a mistake to trade him. It will be interesting to see if he has a better record than Lohse or Belisle. I am sure being on the San Diego team helps him somewhat,but I think he could have been a good starter for our team.

Germano's ERA has rose nearly a run and half over his last two starts.

Turn Off Ads?