Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What can we reasonably expect out of Jeff Keppinger the rest of the year?

What can we reasonably expect out of Jeff Keppinger the rest of the year?

With Castro out for the year, Jeff Keppinger will have the opportunity to show what he can do on the big club. He led AAA in hitting, but a number of people have done that and failed to produce once they got to Cincinnati. He will be a reserve infielder, so I don't see him getting more than 100-200 abs. Given that, what can we reasonably expect out of Jeff Keppinger the rest of the year.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    uoduck1017

Re: The Jeff Keppinger thread

Hopefully just doing what he is asked by Mack. Whether it be put the ball in play as a pinch-hitter late in the game, or playing solid defense. He will probably get some spot starts and hopefully he can take advantage of the opportunity.

I havent seen yet the release that Castro is out for the year, last I read, I htought they would re-evaluate and go from there. Is he def done for the year?

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    I havent seen yet the release that Castro is out for the year, last I read, I htought they would re-evaluate and go from there. Is he def done for the year?
    BP reported it here.

Roster glue

Keppinger has a nice shot to prove he can handle a utility role...he will have to show he can play a shortstop passibly, and exhibit some patience. His lack of power won't be too much of a detriment in a utility infield role if he can demonstrate enough of a walk rate so as to not have an OBP as BA-dependent as one would assume it will be.

Krivsky picked him up, seemingly, due to the fact that he K's less than he walks (and seems to be able to get the bat on the ball quite a bit), but he probably won't be hitting .310 up here, so the walk rate and defense must be there for him to stick AND be useful. Then again, this team has employed Juan Castro as its primary infield substitute this season, so it is nearly impossible to project Keppinger not being an upgrade.

I thought I would update this thread with the game he had today. Keppinger started at third base, and went 4 for 5 with a homer and a double to raise his average to .346. Small sample size, but he could replace Encarcion at third if this keeps up. I can see Edwin being traded for the first time. Up to now, there was no one in the farm system to take his place . These are his stats in limited playing time- 11 games, 26 AB, 6 runs, 9 hits, 3 doubles, no triples, 1 home run, 5 rbi, 15 total bases, 3 walks, 1 strikeout, and no stolen bases. I am not sure what his OBP and Slugging PCT. is. Some other stat geek will need to figure that one out. At this point, he has the utility role locked up and is pushing hard to be the starter at third base.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I thought I would update this thread with the game he had today. Keppinger started at third base, and went 4 for 5 with a homer and a double to raise his average to .346. Small sample size, but he could replace Encarcion at third if this keeps up. I can see Edwin being traded for the first time. Up to now, there was no one in the farm system to take his place . These are his stats in limited playing time- 11 games, 26 AB, 6 runs, 9 hits, 3 doubles, no triples, 1 home run, 5 rbi, 15 total bases, 3 walks, 1 strikeout, and no stolen bases. I am not sure what his OBP and Slugging PCT. is. Some other stat geek will need to figure that one out. At this point, he has the utility role locked up and is pushing hard to be the starter at third base.
    Indeed a great game for Kepp today. His OPS is .991 right now which he won't be able to keep pace with. To me, he's somewhat of a infield version of Denorfia. Nothing wrong with that, but he shouldn't take regular AB's away from Edwin. I haven't seen him play SS, but if he has decent range and a good arm, I'm all for him playing over Lopez.

got alil captain in u?

kepp has been playing very well. I like that kepp can play mutliple infield spots and the outfield in a pinch. He can be a very good pinch hitter and i'd like to see him get 2 start per week at either short or third. This is untill gonzo gets back or edwin starts to heat up again.

Just thinking out loud here.........but if Keppinger shows that he can have continued success on the big club, could this open up the possibility of EE moving to the OF? I've long heard that Edwin has the athleticism necessary to be a good OF'r, and if he could make that move, it would certainly allow for Dunn to be traded without receiving a competent OFr in return.

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Just thinking out loud here.........but if Keppinger shows that he can have continued success on the big club, could this open up the possibility of EE moving to the OF? I've long heard that Edwin has the athleticism necessary to be a good OF'r, and if he could make that move, it would certainly allow for Dunn to be traded without receiving a competent OFr in return.
    I could see that for a temporary solution but no more. Edwin never even played the OF in the minors. Plus, you'd be losing important power numbers; I don't think Keppinger combined with Edwin would equal Dunn's HR production and most teams rely on the LF position to provide power.

I have to admit tht Lopez has been playing great Shortstop so far this year and has shown really good range too.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Quote Originally Posted by HBP View Post
    I could see that for a temporary solution but no more. Edwin never even played the OF in the minors. Plus, you'd be losing important power numbers; I don't think Keppinger combined with Edwin would equal Dunn's HR production and most teams rely on the LF position to provide power.
    Does it really matter where you are getting your power, just as long as you get it. We may not get a lot of homers out of LF with Edwin, but most other teams don't get 30 homers from their 2nd baseman.

Re: What can we reasonably expect out of Jeff Keppinger the rest of the year?

EE reminds me of a young Tony Perez (in theory, not actuality). He is no hall of famer like Tony.........but bear with me, in that I think he might be better off at first base and maybe we play Keppinger at 3B the rest of the season, if they trade Hatteberg.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    EE reminds me of a young Tony Perez (in theory, not actuality). He is no hall of famer like Tony.........but bear with me, in that I think he might be better off at first base and maybe we play Keppinger at 3B the rest of the season, if they trade Hatteberg.
    I am pretty sure Votto is the future starter at first base, barring a trade. I could see a platoon developing beween Keppinger and Edwin; even if Keppinger doesn't start. The difference between Denorfia and Keppinger is that Denorfia had no power, and he didn't hit as well in the majors as he did at AAA. Denorfia was what some call a AAAA player. It seems that Keppinger has more power with 3 doubles and 1 hr in limited playing time. Again, small sample size, but I am encouraged by what I see out of Keppinger.

Denorfia plays better defense than Keppinger though, I would say Kepp is more of an AAAA player than Deno is.
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Turn Off Ads?