Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Hitting Guru Visits with Dragons

Hitting Guru Visits with Dragons

I found this interesting story from the Dayton Daily News - didn't see it posted already.

Dragons show respect to batting guru, each other

By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

Saturday, July 07, 2007

DAYTON — A lot of baseball years were sitting across from each other in Dragons manager Donnie Scott's office the other day when Ken "Squeaky" Parker, 70, was talking about something he had never seen before.

"Every player on this team looks you in the eye when you talk to them," Parker said. "Every one. They listen, and they try to do what you tell them. I've never seen that before."

Parker has been in baseball about 50 years, mostly as a pro scout. He was hired a year ago by the Reds, reporting not only to General Manager Wayne Krivsky, but also farm director Terry Reynolds.

He is considered a sort of batting guru, often stopping players in the cage to correct flaws he has spotted.

He says players — often at the Class A level — can show some disrespect during those sessions.

Not the Dragons.

"All of them look at you like they want to get better," Parker said. "And I like the way these guys play together. It's not like they're out there just for themselves."

Scott, 45 and in baseball since the Texas Rangers made him a second-round draft pick when he was 17, agreed, and said the Dragons get along even off the field.

"Usually, when you go into a restaurant (on the road), you've got groups," Scott said. "You've got the white guys over here and the black guys over there and the Latinos. Not this team. They all mix together."

Drew Stubbs, a white player from Texas, said the Dragons have become close.

"We've got the right mix," Stubbs said. "We've got some clowns and some serious players. A lot of us knew each other before. The language barrier is huge; it's hard to interact. But we all get along. You don't find that with too many ballclubs."

Location, location, location

Pitching coach Doug Bair, who spent 15 years in the majors, said a pitcher can make it to the majors with average pitches as long as the location is precise. "Ninety percent of the time the pitch is not right or wrong," Bair said. "It's location."

Hurry up and wait

Reynolds said he was in no hurry to fill the Dragons' open roster spot unless it was absolutely necessary. In other words, he doesn't have anybody to send.

A walk's as good as a hit

Amazingly, Stubbs was the only position player who didn't collect any hits in the 18-2 Tuesday bashing of Great Lakes or the 20-3 whomping two days later. He did, however, walk three times in each of those games, and score five runs overall. That's what a leadoff hitter is supposed to do, get on base.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hitting Guru Visits with Dragons

What I liked about this article was that these players are looking to improve, that they're giving their attention to senior coaching staff, even the roving guys, to learn how to be better hitters.

"All of them look at you like they want to get better," Parker said. "And I like the way these guys play together. It's not like they're out there just for themselves."

Re: Hitting Guru Visits with Dragons

I think that article says as much about the drafting and thus direction of this current regime as anything could.

They are not necc. drafting the premier individuals always but the best players available whom both enjoy playing the game and most importanly hold winning as a team in the highest of regards.

I like it, I like it a whole lot!!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?