Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Digital camera advice?

Digital camera advice?

Hi guys,

What should I look for in a digital camera if I want to capture details of really close objects?

Like if I want to capture the 3rd cheerio from the left?

Pots and Kettles

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Digital camera advice?

For close-up shots, you need a camera with a good Macro function. That will let you get really close to the subject and take a good picture.

If you're talking about Zoom, get something with a high-level Optical zoom. Avoid using Digital zoom if at all possible. That "50x" digital zoom may sound impressive, but digital zoom gives you lots of pixelation and less detail.

Others on here may be able to give you some more detailed info.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I've owned several Canon Digitals and they seem to have a good macro feature, even the point and shoot ones. I would take close-ups for my eBay sales.

Dim-lighting...well that's been a different story (apparently the newer cameras fix it though, with high ISO settings).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Just got a Canon Powershot SD700 and absolutely LOVE it.

It has been phased out, so the prices are going up, but used my buddies while in Vegas and was hooked. From all the reviews I read (and I'm anal when it comes to research before I buy anything), this was the ideal digital camera to get. Keep in mind that I was looking for something somewhat small and not a professional camera and from what I found, it doesn't get much better than this puppy.

GL!

We have a Canon Powershot (I can't recall the series #) and it has simply been perfect for us. It does everything you could ever want a camera to do and was under $220 I believe when we bought it.

From everything I've read before and after our purchase, Canon seems to be what most everyone says is the best when it comes to affordable cameras that work great.
    Matta = Really good

TC, I have a cannon supershot sd800, and it's great for what I do. Doesn't have a memory of it's own, and only comes with a small memory card, but I got a 2gb card, and that's fine.

Are you able to get close to your subject? Give me some suggestions, and I'll snap some shots for you as a guide.

I looked long and hard at the SD800 as well and the 2 + things it has going for it is wide angle zoom (28mm vs 35mm) and "face recognition".

That said, and by NO MEANS, am I denegrating the 800, but the reviews that I read, and I read 100's on both, seem that the 800 has a problem with blurry edges on the pictures and the IQ (image quality) on the 800 is good, but a step below the 700.

Fwiw, here is a side-by-side comparison of the two as well as a whole ton of reviews. Not the only place I'd recommend checking out, but it's a great place to start. Also, you can search their forums on the comparisons too.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...800is&show=all

Whichever you choose (if you even go with either the 700 or the 800) I'm sure you'll love it. Good luck!

Oh one last thing I should note. As I said above in my last post, the 700 is discontinued. Crazy as this might sound, but as good as the 700 was/is, it's gone UP in price since it was discontinued. That should tell you how in demand it is. That said, I bet the 800 could be had at least $50 cheaper nowadays too.

Again, good luck and let us know what you got, TC!

Turn Off Ads?