Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was LaRussa thinking?

What was LaRussa thinking?

How do you leave one of THE best players in baseball on the bench and let Rowand hit for himself in the 9th? Bases loaded, down by 1, two outs, you have to use Pujols there.

Makes no sense.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What was LaRussa thinking?

Could be selfish reasoning. He could have been concerned about putting one of his guys out there to get hurt. It's hard to tell what was going through his head.

Maybe he was drunk.

Maybe he should hold Pujols out of the first Cards game after the break. He could get hurt then, too.

RotoHester

"It's the All-Star game. He can do what he wants," Pujols said Tuesday night. "He does whatever he wants. If I wasn't expecting to play, I wouldn't have come up here"

"If he wants to get upset, he can get upset," La Russa said. "Whatever he wants to do, he can do. It's America. That wasn't the most important thing tonight."

Ummm...tension in St. Louis maybe? LaRussa feeling he's on the way out so he just doesn't care? What in the world is going on here? Why would they take this to the media that quick? Somethings fishy here.

Quote Originally Posted by wojo1025 View Post
    "It's the All-Star game. He can do what he wants," Pujols said Tuesday night. "He does whatever he wants. If I wasn't expecting to play, I wouldn't have come up here"

"If he wants to get upset, he can get upset," La Russa said. "Whatever he wants to do, he can do. It's America. That wasn't the most important thing tonight."

Ummm...tension in St. Louis maybe? LaRussa feeling he's on the way out so he just doesn't care? What in the world is going on here? Why would they take this to the media that quick? Somethings fishy here.
    WOAH

Something is off.

Did anyone else XD @ Leyland when he was saying that he had interest in using Putz for 6 or 7 innings since the Tigers play the Mariners after the break?
    i thought that was pretty funny
    Whatcha gonna do, brother, when Brennemania runs wild on you!!

My first reaction was that he was playing for extras and didn't want to stick Pujols in the OF defensively in the 10th, but then I realized Pujols has played OF before and LaRussa was talking him up earlier in the game as a guy he'd put out there any where (even SS, which kind of made me chuckle a little).
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Talkin' Baseball

I don't buy the playing for extras argument one bit. Two outs in the 9th with the bases juiced? It's win or go home at that point, other than an infield hit you are likely to plate 2. Rowand already had an AB, so I don't see why he didn't get Phat Albert in there. I thought it was pretty interesting that he was the only Redbird that even made the team. I know they are playing poorly, but usually the manager rewards at least a couple of his guys for the WS ring they won him the year prior. Maybe Tony really is on his way out of St. Louie.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB5 View Post
    I don't buy the playing for extras argument one bit. Two outs in the 9th with the bases juiced? It's win or go home at that point, other than an infield hit you are likely to plate 2. Rowand already had an AB, so I don't see why he didn't get Phat Albert in there. I thought it was pretty interesting that he was the only Redbird that even made the team. I know they are playing poorly, but usually the manager rewards at least a couple of his guys for the WS ring they won him the year prior. Maybe Tony really is on his way out of St. Louie.
    I'm not defending him, I'm just trying to find a logical explanation. Maybe he didn't think Lee could score from second off Crawford, Sizemore, or Rios. I don't know. I'm not a LaRussa fan, never have been. He micromanages too much, but I can't see the sense in ticking off your team's best player in July.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    He micromanages too much, but I can't see the sense in ticking off your team's best player in July.
    I might guess that they both were/are already ticked, hence they are not being sensitive and playing nice. Or it means nothing and they have a good working relationship.

Talkin' Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    I'm not defending him, I'm just trying to find a logical explanation. Maybe he didn't think Lee could score from second off Crawford, Sizemore, or Rios. I don't know. I'm not a LaRussa fan, never have been. He micromanages too much, but I can't see the sense in ticking off your team's best player in July.
    Oh no, I wasn't arguing with you. I'm just saying if that was LaRussa's rationale it was a pretty poor one. I think he'd go for the win right there if he really believes in "this one counts." I didn't see the interviews, so sometimes things get lost in translation and this could like most things be much ado about nothing and the media creating a story. It just seems to fit the general theme of LaRussa having one foot out the door.

Seems to me LaRussa fell asleep behind the wheel on this one.

Talkin' Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Seems to me LaRussa fell asleep behind the wheel on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOnlyRedsFan View Post
    Did anyone else XD @ Leyland when he was saying that he had interest in using Putz for 6 or 7 innings since the Tigers play the Mariners after the break?
    i thought that was pretty funny
    I dont know if I did or not, what is xd?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Tony LaRussa is a joke and I'm glad this happened to him. What kind of manager calls out a guy like Aaron Harang? Yeah, that noted headhunter Aaron Harang. I'm glad LaRussa stepped in and said something. Harang needed to be stopped before he killed someone.

Hopefully this the final nail for LaRussa in St. Louis. I can't imagine he was stoopid enough (drunk enough?) to not hit Pujols in that situation.

But are we sure Albert got his HGH before the game in time? Maybe that was the hang-up. And you know none of LaRussa's players have ever been roidheads.

Turn Off Ads?