Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Failed relievers who become starters

Haunted by walks

Failed relievers who become starters

I remember Ted Power made the move successfully. Any others?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Failed relievers who become starters

Braden Looper, although it's hard to say how successful that's been. I guess he's been okay.

I'm sure there are some that I'm forgetting.

Smoltz went from starter to closer to starter with much success.

Derek Lowe.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Pedro Martinez, Johan Santana, and I believe Carlos Silva was a reliever for Philly before coming to the Twins. George Culver and Don Gullett. Actually, it was a pretty common practice for pitchers to cut their teeth in the bullpen until the 1980's, or there about.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Pedro Martinez, Johan Santana, and I believe Carlos Silva was a reliever for Philly before coming to the Twins. George Culver and Don Gullett. Actually, it was a pretty common practice for pitchers to cut their teeth in the bullpen until the 1980's, or there about.
    I think there's a difference between being a failed reliever and what Johan Santana did. They just wanted to get him some experience in the bullpen before having him open it up from the 1st inning.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Roy Oswalt would be in that club too, though I don't think he would be considered a "failed" reliver?

Right, I pretty much missed the "failed" stipulation in the title.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I believe the Cardinals are 7-1 in games started by failed reliever Todd Wellemeyer, but the jury is still out that experiment.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Not sure if you'd call him "failed", but Houston traded away Curt Schilling to Philly for Jason Grimsley after a few mediocre seasons as a reliever. He was tagged as a classic power reliever who lacked the control necessary to succeed as a starter.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

One Man Army

Kinda hard to define this category since the vast majority of relievers are failed starters. It's rather rare in baseball for someone to be a reliever throughout the minors, flop at the big league level as a reliever, and then make a comeback as a starter. Todd Wellemeyer actually put up decent peripheral stats as a starter in the Cubs system before getting called up as a reliever.

Turn Off Ads?