Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: This Date In Reds History (7/12): Past Lineups

  1. #1
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    18,778

    This Date In Reds History (7/12): Past Lineups

    50 years ago (1957), a 3-1 loss at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City, NJ vs. the Dodgers.

    Cincinnati
    Johnny Temple 2b
    Gus Bell cf
    Frank Robinson lf
    George Crowe 1b
    Ed Bailey c
    Pete Whisenant rf
    Alex Grammas ss
    Roy McMillan ss
    Johnny Klippenstein p

    Brooklyn
    Charlie Neal ss
    Junior Gilliam 2b
    Duke Snider cf
    Elmer Valo lf
    Gino Cimoli rf
    Gil Hodges 1b
    Roy Campanella c
    Don Zimmer 3b
    Don Newcombe p


    WP: Don Newcombe (9-6)
    LP: Johnny Klippstein (3-9)
    HR: None.

    During 1956 and 1957, the Dodgers played a few home games at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City. Evidently they were trying to gain leverage with the Borough of Brooklyn in order to get a new stadium to replace Ebbets Field.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    18,778

    Re: This Date In Reds History (7/12): Past Lineups

    45 years ago (1962), an 8-4 win at Wrigley Field in Chicago.

    Cincinnati
    Eddie Kasko 3b
    Don Blasingame 2b
    Marty Keough lf
    Frank Robinson rf
    Gordy Coleman 1b
    Vada Pinson cf
    Johnny Edwards c
    Leo Cardenas ss
    Joey Jay p

    Chicago Cubs
    Lou Brock cf
    Ken Hubbs 2b
    Billy Williams lf
    Ernie Banks 1b
    George Altman rf
    Ron Santo 3b
    Andre Rodgers ss
    El Tappe c
    Don Cardwell p


    WP: Joey Jay (12-8)
    LP: Don Elston (3-5)
    HR: CIN - Gordy Coleman (15). CHI - Andre Rodgers (4), Billy Williams (16).
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  4. #3
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    18,778

    Re: This Date In Reds History (7/12): Past Lineups

    35 years ago (1972), a 6-3 win at Riverfront Stadium vs. the Pirates.

    Pittsburgh
    Gene Clines rf
    Vic Davalillo lf
    Al Oliver cf
    Willie Stargell 1b
    Richie Hebner 3b
    Manny Sanguillen c
    Bill Mazeroski 2b
    Gene Alley ss
    Luke Walker p

    Cincinnati
    Pete Rose lf
    Joe Morgan 2b
    Bobby Tolan cf
    Johnny Bench c
    Tony Perez 1b
    Denis Menke 3b
    George Foster rf
    Dave Concepcion ss
    Wayne Simpson p


    WP: Wayne Simpson (5-3)
    LP: Luke Walker (3-5)
    Sv: Clay Carroll (18)
    HR: CIN - Tony Perez (14), Johnny Bench 2 (24).
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  5. #4
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    18,778

    Re: This Date In Reds History (7/12): Past Lineups

    30 years ago (1977), a 4-3 loss at Riverfront vs. the Braves.

    Atlanta
    Rowland Office cf
    Rod Gilbreath 2b
    Willie Montañez 1b
    Jeff Burroughs rf
    Gary Matthews lf
    Junior Moore 3b
    Biff Pocoroba c
    Craig Robinson ss
    Phil Niekro p

    Cincinnati
    Pete Rose 3b
    Dave Concepcion ss
    Joe Morgan 2b
    Dan Driessen 1b
    George Foster lf
    Johnny Bench c
    Cesar Geronimo cf
    Champ Summers rf
    Doug Capilla p


    WP: Phil Niekro (9-10)
    LP: Joe Henderson (0-2)
    Sv: Rick Camp (8)
    HR: CIN - Joe Morgan (12), Champ Summers (3).
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  6. #5
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    18,778

    Re: This Date In Reds History (7/12): Past Lineups

    20 years ago (1987), a 4-2 loss at Riverfront vs. Les Expos.

    Montreal
    Reid Nichols cf
    Mitch Webster rf
    Tim Raines lf
    Tim Wallach 3b
    Hubie Brooks ss
    Andres Galarraga 1b
    Vance Law 2b
    Mike Fitzgerald c
    Bob Sebra p

    Cincinnati
    Max Venable cf
    Kurt Stillwell 3b
    Tracy Jones lf
    Bo Diaz c
    Nick Esasky 1b
    Terry Francona rf
    Dave Concepcion 2b
    Barry Larkin ss
    Guy Hoffman p


    WP: Bob Sebra (6-9)
    LP: Guy Hoffman (7-4)
    Sv: Andy McGaffigan (8)
    HR: MON - Vance Law (9). CIN - Nick Esasky (11).

    The Reds mustered only three hits against Bob Sebra and Andy McGaffigan with this truly horrid lineup--a single by Esasky in the 2nd, and a single by Diaz and a two-run homer by Esasky in the 5th. This "Sunday Special" was also Getaway Day before the All-Star Break, and Pete gave CF Eric Davis, RF Dave Parker, and 3B Buddy Bell the day off, significantly weakening the lineup. Additionally, LF Kal Daniels was sidelined due to an injury--he had been lifted for a PR in the second inning of the game the previous Sunday, July 5 vs. the Mets--the same game in which 2B Ron Oester got his knee shredded--and hadn't played since. Though I don't have the information in front of me, I think it's safe to assume that Kal was on the DL along with Oester.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  7. #6
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    18,778

    Re: This Date In Reds History (7/12): Past Lineups

    15 years ago (1992), a 7-6 10-inning loss at Riverfront vs. the Bucs.

    Pittsburgh
    Alex Cole rf
    Jay Bell ss
    Andy Van Slyke cf
    Barry Bonds lf
    Orlando Merced 1b
    John Wehner 3b
    Mike LaValliere c
    Jose Lind 2b
    Jeff Robinson p

    Cincinnati
    Bip Roberts 2b
    Dave Martinez cf
    Bary Larkin ss
    Paul O'Neill rf
    Hal Morris 1b
    Reggie Sanders lf
    Chris Sabo 3b
    Joe Oliver c
    Jose Rijo p


    WP: Bob Patterson (5-1)
    LP: Tim Belcher (8-7)
    Sv: Stan Belinda (13)
    HR: PIT - Gary Redus (1). CIN - Dave Martinez (1).
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  8. #7
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    18,778

    Re: This Date In Reds History (7/12): Past Lineups

    10 years ago (1997), a 4-3 win at Riverfront vs. Les Expos.

    Montreal
    Mark Grudzielanek ss
    Mike Lansing 2b
    F.P. Santangelo rf
    David Segui 1b
    Rondell White cf
    Henry Rodriguez lf
    Chris Widger c
    Doug Strange 3b
    Carlos Perez p

    Cincinnati
    Deion Sanders cf
    Bret Boone 2b
    Mike Kelly lf
    Eduardo Perez 3b
    Willie Greene rf
    Joe Oliver c
    Hal Morris 1b
    Pokey Reese ss
    John Smiley p


    WP: John Smiley (7-10)
    LP: Carlos Perez (8-6)
    Sv: Jeff Shaw (19)
    HR: MON - Henry Rodriguez (17). CIN - Eduardo Perez (5), Mike Kelly (3).
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  9. #8
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    18,778

    Re: This Date In Reds History (7/12): Past Lineups

    Five years ago (2002), a 6-3 loss at Minute Maid Park in Houston.

    Cincinnati
    Todd Walker 2b
    Aaron Boone 3b
    Adam Dunn lf
    Austin Kearns rf
    Sean Casey 1b
    Barry Larkin ss
    Reggie Taylor cf
    Jason LaRue c
    Ryan Dempster p

    Houston
    Julio Lugo ss
    Jose Vizcaino 2b
    Lance Berkman cf
    Jeff Bagwell 1b
    Daryle Ward lf
    Richard Hidalgo rf
    Geoff Blum 3b
    Brad Ausmus c
    Wade Miller p


    WP: Wade Miller (5-3)
    LP: Ryan Dempster (5-9)
    Sv: Billy Wagner (16)
    HR: CIN - Aaron Boone (14). HOU - Julio Lugo (5), Daryle Ward (5).

    This game was Ryan Dempster's Reds debut, as he had been acquired the day before (July 11) from the Marlins in exchange for OF Juan Encarnacion, INF Wilton Guerrero, and minor-league P Ryan Snare.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  10. #9
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,092

    Re: This Date In Reds History (7/12): Past Lineups

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    20 years ago (1987), a 4-2 loss at Riverfront vs. Les Expos.

    Montreal
    Reid Nichols cf
    Mitch Webster rf
    Tim Raines lf
    Tim Wallach 3b
    Hubie Brooks ss
    Andres Galarraga 1b
    Vance Law 2b
    Mike Fitzgerald c
    Bob Sebra p

    Cincinnati
    Max Venable cf
    Kurt Stillwell 3b
    Tracy Jones lf
    Bo Diaz c
    Nick Esasky 1b
    Terry Francona rf
    Dave Concepcion 2b
    Barry Larkin ss
    Guy Hoffman p


    WP: Bob Sebra (6-9)
    LP: Guy Hoffman (7-4)
    Sv: Andy McGaffigan (8)
    HR: MON - Vance Law (9). CIN - Nick Esasky (11).

    The Reds mustered only three hits against Bob Sebra and Andy McGaffigan with this truly horrid lineup--a single by Esasky in the 2nd, and a single by Diaz and a two-run homer by Esasky in the 5th. This "Sunday Special" was also Getaway Day before the All-Star Break, and Pete gave CF Eric Davis, RF Dave Parker, and 3B Buddy Bell the day off, significantly weakening the lineup. Additionally, LF Kal Daniels was sidelined due to an injury--he had been lifted for a PR in the second inning of the game the previous Sunday, July 5 vs. the Mets--the same game in which 2B Ron Oester got his knee shredded--and hadn't played since. Though I don't have the information in front of me, I think it's safe to assume that Kal was on the DL along with Oester.

    You really have to wonder if Rose had a bet against his team after seeing a lineup like this.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  11. #10
    This one's for you Edd Heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dayton Area
    Posts
    8,471

    Re: This Date In Reds History (7/12): Past Lineups

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    50 years ago (1957), a 3-1 loss at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City, NJ vs. the Dodgers.

    Cincinnati
    Johnny Temple 2b
    Gus Bell cf
    Frank Robinson lf
    George Crowe 1b
    Ed Bailey c
    Pete Whisenant rf
    Alex Grammas ss
    Roy McMillan ss
    Johnny Klippenstein p

    Brooklyn
    Charlie Neal ss
    Junior Gilliam 2b
    Duke Snider cf
    Elmer Valo lf
    Gino Cimoli rf
    Gil Hodges 1b
    Roy Campanella c
    Don Zimmer 3b
    Don Newcombe p


    WP: Don Newcombe (9-6)
    LP: Johnny Klippstein (3-9)
    HR: None.

    During 1956 and 1957, the Dodgers played a few home games at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City. Evidently they were trying to gain leverage with the Borough of Brooklyn in order to get a new stadium to replace Ebbets Field.
    New York City wanted to build a park in the Queens. O'Malley wanted to stay in Brooklyn, even though the population was decreasing and so was the city's value. NYC called the bluff, O'Malley went west and took Horace Stoneham with him.

    Ebbets Field is now a Target store.

    Jersey City wasn't a hotbed of population, but being across New York Harbor would have been interesting if the Dodgers stayed in Jersey City.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

  12. #11
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    5,328

    Re: This Date In Reds History (7/12): Past Lineups

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    30 years ago (1977), a 4-3 loss at Riverfront vs. the Braves.

    Atlanta
    Rowland Office cf
    Rod Gilbreath 2b
    Willie Montaņez 1b
    Jeff Burroughs rf
    Gary Matthews lf
    Junior Moore 3b
    Biff Pocoroba c
    Craig Robinson ss
    Phil Niekro p

    Cincinnati
    Pete Rose 3b
    Dave Concepcion ss
    Joe Morgan 2b
    Dan Driessen 1b
    George Foster lf
    Johnny Bench c
    Cesar Geronimo cf
    Champ Summers rf
    Doug Capilla p


    WP: Phil Niekro (9-10)
    LP: Joe Henderson (0-2)
    Sv: Rick Camp (8)
    HR: CIN - Joe Morgan (12), Champ Summers (3).
    Wow. I think I was at this game. I was only 6, but I do remember attending a game when Morgan and Summers both went deep.

  13. #12
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    18,778

    Re: This Date In Reds History (7/12): Past Lineups

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    You really have to wonder if Rose had a bet against his team after seeing a lineup like this.
    You know, I didn't want to say it, but I thought the same thing. I mean--even if you have to play those nine guys, you can come up with a better batting order than that. How about:

    Larkin ss
    Concepcion 2b
    Jones lf
    Esasky 1b
    Diaz c
    Stillwell 3b
    Francona rf
    Venable cf
    Hoffman p
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  14. #13
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,615

    Re: This Date In Reds History (7/12): Past Lineups

    I'd still bet against any lineup with Tracy Jones 3rd
    Go Gators!

  15. #14
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    18,778

    Re: This Date In Reds History (7/12): Past Lineups

    Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I'd still bet against any lineup with Tracy Jones 3rd
    He had his best year in the big leagues in 1987 as the Reds' 4th OF, hitting .290/.333/.437/.770 with 10 HR's, 44 RBI's, and 31 SB's in 359 at-bats.

    When you look at the other players in the lineup that day, the Tracer was the obvious choice to hit 3rd. However, I agree with you that a lineup that features Tracy Jones in the #3 spot is a weak lineup. I think the real question is why did Rose give all three of Davis, Parker, and Bell the day off? A couple of those guys (or even one of them) would have bolstered the lineup considerably.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  16. #15
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    18,778

    Re: This Date In Reds History (7/12): Past Lineups

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    50 years ago (1957), a 3-1 loss at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City, NJ vs. the Dodgers.

    Cincinnati
    Johnny Temple 2b
    Gus Bell cf
    Frank Robinson lf
    George Crowe 1b
    Ed Bailey c
    Pete Whisenant rf
    Alex Grammas 3b
    Roy McMillan ss
    Johnny Klippenstein p

    Brooklyn
    Charlie Neal ss
    Junior Gilliam 2b
    Duke Snider cf
    Elmer Valo lf
    Gino Cimoli rf
    Gil Hodges 1b
    Roy Campanella c
    Don Zimmer 3b
    Don Newcombe p


    WP: Don Newcombe (9-6)
    LP: Johnny Klippstein (3-9)
    HR: None.

    During 1956 and 1957, the Dodgers played a few home games at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City. Evidently they were trying to gain leverage with the Borough of Brooklyn in order to get a new stadium to replace Ebbets Field.
    Sorry, I just noticed a typo.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25