Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 55

Thread: Bruce to AAA?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Bruce to AAA?

    Just saw a rumor at Redleg Nation. He's been looking pretty good at AA this season. Does this mean the Reds might be tempted to give him a look in September or is he likely to stay at Louisville the rest of the year?

    Sorry for the "how long is a piece of string" question!

  2. #2
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,488

    Re: Bruce to AAA?

    I have spent plenty of time talking to Bill from Redlegnation and I am confident in any information that he gets that he at least believes its true. If he says it... I believe it, or at least believe that he is not making anything up and that he actually did hear from someone reliable that its happening.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,876

    Re: Bruce to AAA?

    wow, if true, this is like a Dunn-esque meteoric rise through the system circa 2001
    Go BLUE!!!

  4. #4
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,488

    Re: Bruce to AAA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    wow, if true, this is like a Dunn-esque meteoric rise through the system circa 2001
    Yeah, except Bruce is a year younger than Dunn was when he did it.

  5. #5
    Playoffs Cyclone792's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,271

    Re: Bruce to AAA?

    If this is true, then it possibly means two things ... 1) the Reds are interested in bringing him up to the big club in September (or earlier) to get him some meaningful big league plate appearances with the idea also floating in their head to have him on the big league club on Opening Day next season, and 2) something could be brewing on the trade front with one of our current outfielders at the big league level.

    With his surge in performance and sudden and apparent quick rise through the system now, I just hope Reds fans give the kid a break over the next few years and don't suddenly tag him with unrealistic expectations. But given the culture of Reds fans, it wouldn't surprise me if they collectively determine that he should be the second coming of Mel Ott.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

    Put an end to the Lost Decade.

  6. #6
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,488

    Re: Bruce to AAA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    If this is true, then it possibly means two things ... 1) the Reds are interested in bringing him up to the big club in September (or earlier) to get him some meaningful big league plate appearances with the idea also floating in their head to have him on the big league club on Opening Day next season, and 2) something could be brewing on the trade front with one of our current outfielders at the big league level.

    With his surge in performance and sudden and apparent quick rise through the system now, I just hope Reds fans give the kid a break over the next few years and don't suddenly tag him with unrealistic expectations. But given the culture of Reds fans, it wouldn't surprise me if they collectively determine that he should be the second coming of Mel Ott.
    That Ott character was pretty good.

    My thoughts are that its a mixture of both ideas that you floated around. If the Reds are seriously worried about Hamiltons wrist, then that leaves the Reds with a starting outfield of Dunn, Freel and Griffey with Norris Hopper as the backup. If the Reds are looking to trade even one of the corner guys they need someone ready, or at least close to ready and Jay might be that guy.

  7. #7
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: Bruce to AAA?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    My thoughts are that its a mixture of both ideas that you floated around. If the Reds are seriously worried about Hamiltons wrist, then that leaves the Reds with a starting outfield of Dunn, Freel and Griffey with Norris Hopper as the backup. If the Reds are looking to trade even one of the corner guys they need someone ready, or at least close to ready and Jay might be that guy.
    Jay may just be replacing Dickerson or Wise on the Louisville roster while they take Josh's spot on the 25 man. Assuming Josh is DL'ed, that is.

  8. #8
    Senor Votto Degenerate39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,917

    Re: Bruce to AAA?

    That was fast
    Most Vottomatic Player

  9. #9
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: Bruce to AAA?

    Jay only has 74 plate appearances in AA. He does have an incredible line though - .333/.405/.652. His average, OBP, and slugging have all increased since his promotion.

  10. #10
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: Bruce to AAA?

    Bruce is having a great season, but nothing like the one Dunn had in 2001. Dunn had 32 HRs and has OPSed over 1100(440+ OBP and 660+ SLG) by mid July.

    60 some ABs in AA really isn't enough for a promotion.
    Last edited by flyer85; 07-12-2007 at 11:43 AM.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  11. #11
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,488

    Re: Bruce to AAA?

    Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Bruce is having a great season, but nothing like the one Dunn had in 2001. Dunn had 32 HRs and has OPSed over 1100(440+ OBP and 660+ SLG) by mid July.

    60 some ABs in AA really isn't enough for a promotion.
    Lets not forget though that Dunn was 21 that season while Jay is just 20.

  12. #12
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: Bruce to AAA?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Lets not forget though that Dunn was 21 that season while Jay is just 20.
    Lets not forget Dunn did it in AA and AAA, not High A and AA.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  13. #13
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,488

    Re: Bruce to AAA?

    Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Lets not forget Dunn did it in AA and AAA, not High A and AA.
    True, but what Adam was doing in Low A at age 20 doesn't come close to comparing to what Jay is doing at age 20 in High A and AA.

  14. #14
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: Bruce to AAA?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    True, but what Adam was doing in Low A at age 20 doesn't come close to comparing to what Jay is doing at age 20 in High A and AA.
    and it is a highly likely that what Bruce will do at 21 won't compare with what Dunn did at 21 in AA and AAA.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,787

    Re: Bruce to AAA?

    There is no point to keeping Bruce at AA. He might as well face more experienced pitching at AAA to help him get ready for the bigs. Nobody has identified any weakness in his game that has to be worked out at AA.

    If this is true it is an excellent move by the Reds. And if Dunn or Griffey are moved by 7/31, I'm sure you'll see Bruce in Cincy by September.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25