Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mets to Part Ways with Julio Franco?

Mets to Part Ways with Julio Franco?

From Newsday today:

Mets part ways with Franco

BY KEN DAVIDOFF

July 12, 2007, 1:53 PM EDT

The Mets are expected to remove Julio Franco from their roster today to make room for Lastings Milledge, Newsday has learned. An announcement will be made before today's game.

It's not clear whether Franco, who turns 48 next month, will retire, or whether he'll accept an unconditional release and try to find a job elsewhere.

In his second season with the Mets, Franco has 10 hits, including one homer, in 50 at-bats, for a .200 batting average. He has recorded a .328 on-base percentage and an anemic .260 slugging percentage. He has essentially served as a player-coach, providing guidance for the Mets' younger players.

But with the Mets' offense struggling -- hitting coach Rick Down was fired last night, and Rickey Henderson will join the coaching staff today -- the club apparently decided that it could no longer use a roster spot on Franco.

The Mets signed Franco to a two-year, $2-million contract prior to the 2006 season.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Yay!

Re: Mets to Part Ways with Julio Franco?

The end of an era. Kinda sad.

The guy is closer to my dad's age than to mine.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Franco's been awful this year, and as much as Omar likes him, he's hurt the team as their top pinch hitter. Now that Milledge is healthy, he'll probably get the bulk of the starts in LF. When (if) Alou and Endy Chavez get back, the bench will be a strength instead of a weakness.

Too bad.

It's been cool to see a card-carrying AARP member still playing ball at the ML level.

Guess the only question is whether he'll get to collect any unemployment money, or will he start drawing Social Security immediately?

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Franco is 4 months older than Rickey Henderson. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Hopefully he's forgotten how to play the game. That way, the Reds won't sign him.

Of course, if you want to go all Kevin Bacon-y, you can get back to the 20's with Franco in just 3 players (Pete Rose - Joe Nuxhall - Estell Crabtree [1925 season])!

I bet he goes to another team...
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    I bet he goes to another team...
    He's the right age for us
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    He's the right age for us
    Well, actually he'd make our older guys seem like kids!

He's the last player born in the 50's.

Well, it's official; from the Mets website

For weeks, Julio Franco had spoken privately of the need to find work elsewhere and the need to get enough at-bats to allow him to continue his career and reach his objective of playing at age 50. He was convinced remaining in what he considered a role more limited that he had anticipated would undermine his chances. He planned to ask for his release.
    The Mets beat him to the punch, though; they designated him for assignment on Thursday as part of the midseason roster restructuring.

Some 5 1/2 weeks short of his 49th birthday, Franco now is a former Met. If no other club trades for him or claims him off waivers -- and the Mets don't reverse the process, which is quite unlikely -- he will become a free agent in 10 days and begin looking for a place where he will be likely to be given more opportunity to swing for 50.

Franco was pleased Thursday afternoon, but a little off balance. "I thought I would surprise them," he said by telephone, "But they surprised me. It's what I need to do, so that part is good for me."

Franco played sparingly in his 1 1/2 seasons with the Mets, starting seven games of the Mets' 87 games this season -- four at first base, two at third and one as the DH -- and batted .130 in 23 at-bats. His work as a pinch-hitter was more effective, seven hits in 26 at-bats, but all were singles.

He played in 95 games last season, starting 25, mostly at first base. He batted .273 with 26 RBIs in 165 at-bats and was disappointed by the number of opportunities.

Despite the disappointment, he considered seeking a contract extension during Spring Training. He never made the request, and when he found his playing time unsatisfactory, he reversed this thinking and weighed leaving.

How does it work that Franco turns 48 next month and is 5 1/2 weeks shy of his 49th birthday? What calendar are they using?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

He was one player that is older than me(44). So I hate to see him go but it's probably the end of the line for him. Here's to a fine MLB career.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    How does it work that Franco turns 48 next month and is 5 1/2 weeks shy of his 49th birthday? What calendar are they using?
    Metric.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    The first article from Newsday is incorrect. I compounded it when I said he was born in 1959. In fact, his birthday is August 23, 1958, so he'll be 49 in about five to six weeks.

Turn Off Ads?