Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds P/U another Twin

Reds P/U another Twin

From Fays Blog:

Dutch treat

From the Reds:

The Reds claimed off waivers from the Twins LHP Alexander Smit. He has yet to be assigned to a Reds minor league affiliate.

Smit, 21, went 1-4 with 1 save and a 5.86 ERA in 18 appearances (8 starts) this season with Class A Fort Myers, including a 3.86 ERA in 10 games as a reliever (8er, 18.2ip). Last season with Class A Beloit, Smit went 7-2 with a 2.99 ERA in 34 appearances (13 starts). He was named Midwest League Pitcher of the Week for August 7-13.

Smit, a native of the Netherlands, was ranked by Baseball America as the Twins’ 14th-best prospect in 2003. In 2001 and 2002 he was a member of the Dutch National Junior Team and was selected to play on the Dutch Olympic Team in the 2002 International Cup in Cuba.

Wayne Krivsky said Smit will go to Dayton.
    Let me add this article from '05

E-Town Pitcher Of The Year: Alexander Smit

Smit posted a 1.97 ERA in 2005. By Brad Weiss (Scout.com)

Posted Oct 16, 2005

Alexander Smit is the 2005 Elizabethton Twins Pitcher of the Year, as he was completely lights-out this past season. He was the main man in the Twins’ bullpen, and the left-hander was basically untouchable the entire season. He is one of the main reasons why E-Town picked up the 2005 Appalachian League title.

Alexander Smit is the 2005 Elizabethton Twins Pitcher of the Year, as he was completely lights-out this past season. He was the main man in the Twins’ bullpen, and the left-hander was basically untouchable the entire season. He is one of the main reasons why E-Town picked up the 2005 Appalachian League title.
    Smit, who struggled as a member of the Beloit Snappers to begin the year, took his mid-season demotion in stride. He was mostly a starter for the Snappers, and his numbers were not very nice to look at. He went 1-7 in his ten starts before moving to the bullpen, where he went on to post a 1.50 ERA in four appearances.

He made his Elizabethton debut on June 21, and picked up the win in his 4.2 innings of relief. He struck out nine batters that day, and went on to strike out at least one batter in every single appearance for E-Town. His contributions to the team made him the number one option out of the pen.

He finished the year with a 6-1 record for the Twins, saving three games, and posting a 1.97 ERA in 21 appearances. He dominated Appalachian League hitters, striking out 86 of them in his 45.2 innings of work. He walked only 12 batters, while holding batters to a .157 batting average.

2005 was Smit’s third season of professional ball, as he was used as mostly a starter throughout his first two seasons. He came into the year with a 4-1 professional record, posting a 1.76 ERA in his 14 appearances, including 12 starts. Last season, he was ranked the ninth best prospect in the Appalachian League by Baseball America.

At the end of the year, Smit was named to the league’s post-season All-Star Team, making the team as the only Twins’ player on the roster. Coming into the year, he was ranked the 20th best prospect in the organization by Baseball America, and should begin 2006 as a member of the Beloit Snappers once again.

Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 07-12-2007 at 06:55 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds P/U another Twin

[PHP]Basic Statistics
    Year Age Team G W L IP TBF H 2B 3B HR R ER BB K ERA RA9
    2004 18 Rookie 6 1 1 28.0 118 25 0 9 8 10 43 2.54 2.89
    2005 19 Rookie 21 6 1 45.2 172 25 3 12 10 12 86 1.97 2.37
    2005 19 A Beloit 14 1 9 49.2 232 58 9 41 33 28 54 5.98 7.43
    2006 20 A Beloit 34 7 2 108.1 449 77 17 1 6 48 36 53 141 2.99 3.99
    2007 21 A+ Fort Myers 18 1 4 50.2 240 62 17 2 4 40 33 26 38 5.86 7.10

Extended Statistics
    Year Age Team BB/PA K/PA BABIP GB% HR/Air FIP BsRA9
    2004 18 Rookie 8.5% 36.4% .418
    2005 19 Rookie 7.0% 50.0% .337
    2005 19 A Beloit 12.1% 23.3% .378 5.83
    2006 20 A Beloit 11.8% 31.4% .295 37% 4% 2.93 3.11
    2007 21 A+ Fort Myers 10.8% 15.8% .349 37% 4% 4.48 6.00
    [/PHP]

(Rookie Ball - Elizabethton Twins)
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 07-12-2007 at 06:56 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

He's 21.............and left handed.

I like the move.

Date of Birth: October 2, 1985
    Height: 6-4 Weight: 205
    Bats/Throws: L/L
    Aww, he just became one of my faves, his B-Day is the same as mine and we are both LH (in a sense, I write LH & throw RH). Except I've got some yrs on him.

--Woody Hayes

I searched yahoo and this is what I found from September 2006:

Alexander Smit, lhp, Low Class A Beloit (Twins)

It seems like a long time ago when Smit had a 1.18 ERA in his GCL debut and allowed only 19 hits in 38 innings; in reality it is a long time in prospect land, as that was 2003. Since then, Smit's had a mix of bad moments and dominant moments, and did not spend a complete year in a full-season league until this season. While he began the year in a bullpen role, everything changed in a return to the rotation, as the native of the Netherlands had a 2.43 ERA in 13 starts while allowing just 44 hits in 74 innings and striking out 98. Unlike Baldwin, Smit has taken a major step forward this year, as what was once an upper-80s fastball is now 92-94 mph, to go along with a solid curveball and a developing change. While it seems like Smit has been around for ever, he's still only 20 years old, and next year's performance at High Class A Ft. Myers will be highly anticipated.

Source: Baseball Prospectus

Someone else might be able to find an updated report on Smit, but thats the latest one I saw.
    Last edited by CTA513; 07-12-2007 at 06:47 PM.

Not much new but if you look at his '07 BB/9 (4.62), not too hard to detect the issue he must be having.

He looked good (for about as much as you can see) closing in this June 19th '07 game. (2nd Batter NYY Jose Tabata)

http://http://youtube.com/watch?v=37VHFqmdrOU

--Woody Hayes

This is actually a pretty solid pickup by Wayne. Smit is only 21 years old, and is a big lefty (6'3" 210) who throws a 92-94 mph fastball to go along with a solid curveball and a developing changeup. He struckout 141 batters in 108.1 innings (11.7 K/9) last season in the Midwest League. He's struggled this season but is a guy definitely worth keeping an eye on.

More stuff, coming fast and furious.

4-5-07
    Young phenom to pitch for Fort Myers on Saturday

By David Dorsey
    Fort Myers News Press

The hard-throwing Dutchman has baffled hitters throughout the lower minor league baseball levels over the past four years, growing into a 21-year-old, burgeoning phenom.

Alexander Smit, a left-handed hurler from Holland, will join the Fort Myers Miracle pitching rotation this season. He will do so after joining the Minnesota Twins’ organization as a 16-year-old in 2002.

The Miracle open the Florida State League season tonight at 7:05 against the Sarasota Reds.

Smit will make his first start Saturday night when the Miracle return to Sarasota after opening the season at home Friday night at Hammond Stadium against the Reds.

The back-and-forth I-75 series allows both teams to sleep in their own beds each night.

Smit put opposing batters to rest throughout last season. He compiled a 7-2 record and 2.99 ERA for low-Class A Beloit. He allowed opposing hitters a .199 batting average.

“He’s left-handed, and he’s tough to pick up,” Miracle pitching coach Eric Rasmussen said.

“He needs a couple of different speeds on his fastball. We’ll see how he does now. He does strike ’em out.”

The Twins discovered Smit in 2002, when Smit played for the Dutch under-15 team, preferring baseball over the more mainstream sport of soccer.

“He hides the ball a little bit,” Miracle manager Kevin Boles said. “His fastball has some movement. Left-handed pitchers, they’re at a premium. His stuff stays in the strike zone.

“Alexander Smit has come a long way. He plays stronger. He has a better mound presence.”

Smit has piled up the strikeouts. He struck out 141 batters in 108 1/3 innings last season. He has totaled 364 strikeouts in 270 minor-league innings.

The Twins protected Smit by placing him on their 40-man roster during the offseason. Had they not, other teams could have taken Smit in the Rule V Draft.

“They called me up on Holland, actually,” Smit said of learning he had made the 40-man roster. “I was pretty happy. It was a good feeling to be on there.”

Invited to big-league spring training for the first time, Smit gave up two hits and one run in one appearance.

“He signed so young,” said Fort Myers resident Bert Blyleven, who was born in Holland and raised in California.

Blyleven compiled 3,701 strikeouts over 22 seasons with the Minnesota Twins and three other teams. He has taken an interest in Smit over the past few spring trainings.

“With him coming to major league camp, you feel like he’s progressing,” Blyleven said. “He’s a hard worker.”

Said Smit of Blyleven: “He’s a real good guy. He knows so much about baseball.”

Smit hopes to someday know the experience of playing in the big leagues, like his fellow countryman.

“I love America,” Smith said, “and I love baseball.”

5-29-07
    OFF DISABLED LIST

By David Dorsey
    Fort Myers News Press

Left-handed pitcher Alexander Smit has returned from the disabled list, but lost his spot in the starting rotation. Smit, who has an 0-2 record and a 5.62 ERA in six starts this season, will throw out of the bullpen. Ryan Mullins, Oswaldo Sosa, Zach Ward, Jay Rainville and Yohan Pino comprise the rotation for now.

Dianna

And this is his website! Which if you go to the site and highlight his monthbook he tells of his injury (sprained ankle & Tennis Elbow??) which for whatever reason I could not copy and paste.

http://http://www.alexandersmit.com/
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 07-12-2007 at 07:11 PM.

--Woody Hayes

not a bad pickup...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Love this move. I have actually been following him for about 3 years now since a friend of mine told me to watch out for him.

Senor Votto

Wayne and those Twins

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Wayne and those Twins
    Yes, but this is much better than picking up Castro.

It's kind of weird to see Wayne take a Smit.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yes, but this is much better than picking up Castro.
    Wouldn't anyone be better than Castro?

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Wouldn't anyone be better than Castro?
    Not Mark Mallory.

Turn Off Ads?