Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: 7/12 Minors Updates: Homer on the mound, Bruce in CF, Janish at SS

Re: 7/12 Minors Updates: Homer on the mound, Bruce in CF, Janish at SS

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Hmm, spotty control, lack of movement, loss of velocity -- those are the sorts of things that happen when a pitcher gets injured.

For all this talk about Homer's attitude, I'm a lot more worried his elbow's about to pop or that his shoulder's about to fray.
    That's my feeling too, unfortunately.

Not that there wasn't a big enough question mark hanging over the Reds for how they handled him with his promotion last month, but now that same question mark looms even larger. Nobody knows for certain if we'd be seeing the same signs of injury had the Reds kept Bailey down in Louisville all along, but all they did was heighten the risk by bringing him up and letting Narron get his hands on him, and now he's coincidentally appearing to be injured. Sadly, much of what the Reds have done with this kid over the last five weeks has been nothing less than totally irresponsible, and now it already looks like the team may be paying the ultimate price for some of those mistakes.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

2. Turn Off Ads?

Josh Roenicke looks like he is on as fast of a track is anyone. It was never about stuff but command.

High A 27.2IP 23H 10ER 1HR 15BB 41K
    AA 9IP 6H 2ER 0HR 2BB 12K

Is it not Lost Velocity = Elbow and Loss of control = Shoulder.

Generally that is.

Recognizing Pitching Arm Fatigue

Besides the loss of control (command of his pitches), and some loss of velocity, a pitcher will often change his throwing motion to compensate for the loss of arm strength and hand speed, or he will change to protect his arm from further stress and pain. Be alert for:

1. The pitcher rushes his motion trying to generate more power with the body and reduce the stress on his arm. This action actually causes more stress because the arm drags behind the normal throwing rhythm. The pitcher will have a greater loss of hand and pitch speed.
    2. The pitcher may shorten his arm deceleration path and follow-through. He will lose his normal arm extension during the release and deceleration phases.
    3. The pitcher takes more time between pitches, walks around the mound, etc.
    4. The pitcher stretches, shakes, or swings his arm or shoulder more between pitches.
    5. The pitcher may not get his hand and elbow up to the normal height in the cocked position. It will appear that he has lowered his elbow during his motion and is accelerating in more of an upward plane.
    6. The pitcher grimaces (flinches) during the release and deceleration phases.
    7. Between innings, the pitcher may massage his elbow (lower biceps) or top of the shoulder (biceps tendon) area. With arm fatigue, a pitcher’s hand often trembles.
    8. Between pitching assignments, the pitcher is reluctant to throw, or throw properly during defensive drill (PFP) work. He is protecting a stiff or sore arm that needs more recovery time.
    9. Many pitchers will not admit to their coach that they are overly sore or have a minor injury. They will see the trainer or team physician if they believe the medical person will not tell the coach. There needs to be a good open communication, in confidence, between medical personnel and coaches.
    10. At higher levels of baseball, your opponent’s hitters will show you that your pitcher has fatigued and lost some command and velocity. They will take better swings and hit the ball harder more frequently.
    http://www.baseballtips.com/armfatigue.html

His fall apart last night appeared mental to me, though I'm clearly no expert, and it could be triggered by the fact that he does not feel right physically. He looked disinterested, and the Yankees' baserunners took advantage of him on several occasions (helping induce a balk from HB as well).

Wow WOY, that looks to have a lot of irony to it. Maybe us fans should be writing like crazy to Fay, Rosecrans and the like. This possibility needs addressed and pronto!!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Sadly, much of what the Reds have done with this kid over the last five weeks has been nothing less than totally irresponsible, and now it already looks like the team may be paying the ultimate price for some of those mistakes.
    I'm not particularly worried about an injury -- though of course it's possible -- because his fastball has looked very good to me. But I agree that the handling of Bailey has been questionable. Ballyhooed promotion (following promises that once he was up they wanted him to stay up), then semi-cryptic demotion after a nice 5-inning, 2-hit start. We'll see how this plays out, but while I can accept that Homer's introduction to the big leagues can serve as a kind of finishing school, I question what looks like a more strenuous attempt to overhaul the kid (windup adjustments from Pole and AAA refresher, at least, so far). My dread comes from the suspicion that the organization is confused about how to handle him and that this will end up screwing up his development.

Could this be why Bailey was pulle after 87 pitches in his last Major League start?

Pete said in an interview I heard, he believes in taking someone out who has been struggling so they can leave with that special taste in their mouth so they will want to come back out and dominate the next time.

I am sure it was discussed with Homer about being sent down for some work so he was not sitting up here doing nothing for 8 days.

I would venture to say his so called struggles is from the adjustments he was working on via/Poole working with him, which is another reason to send him down so he can work on it during game situations. If it was his first time working on it, I would rather it be against AAA than in the BIGS.

I like the 5 innings in his last start and then not pitching a ton of innings last night. We need him to be fresh when he comes back. Why would he have to pitch 9 innings last night when we need him on the BIG League show.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

It would be nice if "The Next Tom Seaver" could keep his WHIP under 2.0 more often...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    It would be nice if "The Next Tom Seaver" could keep his WHIP under 2.0 more often...

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    who ever called him the next Tom Seaver?

I think it was Chris Gruler.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Johnny Bench said that about Chris Gruler. I don't remember hearing anyone call Bailey the next Seaver though.

Bailey's supposed to be the next Roger Clemens or Nolan Ryan. In other words, pretty much no matter what he does, he will be a disappointment.

I'm not concerned about Bailey and injury at this point. I speculate that he was requested to work on his control and off-speed stuff. He was probably throwing his two-seamer a lot more than his four-seamer. Besides, radar guns aren't all that accurate--the wind could have made a difference, I think. In fact, last night, at the Reds game, there was a consistent discrepancy between Fox's radar gun and the stadium's radar gun.

I think what we are seeing with Homer Bailey is a basic part of the game , learning how to adjust when you experience failure for the first time in your baseball career. Bailey has the stuff and the make up to be a top pitcher in the majors.

Now its a matter of Homer learning how to make adjustments , Steve Phillips on the futures game broadcast said ideally you want a prospect to struggle before he reaches the major league level. His thought was if you'd struggled somewhere in the past you had a referrence point to go back to because you'd over come it before.

If Homer, now realizes he's not going to totally dominate at the major league level , and will listen to coaches and make adjustment he will be fine. At this point his ego has been hurt and now comes the reality check ok I need to make some adjustments.

We will see him make them and he will realize his great potential ( thinking positive ) this is just a road block on the way to success for Homer Bailey.

Quote Originally Posted by indy_dave00 View Post
    I think what we are seeing with Homer Bailey is a basic part of the game , learning how to adjust when you experience failure for the first time in your baseball career. Bailey has the stuff and the make up to be a top pitcher in the majors.

Now its a matter of Homer learning how to make adjustments , Steve Phillips on the futures game broadcast said ideally you want a prospect to struggle before he reaches the major league level. His thought was if you'd struggled somewhere in the past you had a referrence point to go back to because you'd over come it before.

If Homer, now realizes he's not going to totally dominate at the major league level , and will listen to coaches and make adjustment he will be fine. At this point his ego has been hurt and now comes the reality check ok I need to make some adjustments.

We will see him make them and he will realize his great potential ( thinking positive ) this is just a road block on the way to success for Homer Bailey.
    I heard it say that myself and I don't completely discount that even though it came from Phillips who I regard about as much as I regard Bob Boone's opinion.

Hopefully he does realize his potential and it's only a roadblock that he will pass. However if it is indeed an injury then we will have a major problem on our hands from a host of different perpsectives if it's not caught before it does irreparable harm.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?