Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rotoworld Top 150 MidSeason Prospects...

Rotoworld Top 150 MidSeason Prospects...

Nothing to earth shattering but figured I'd post the Reds roundup.

2. Jay Bruce - OF Reds - DOB: 04/03/87 - ETA: 2009
    Previous rankings: 2006 #130, mid-2006 #23, 2007 #8

.325/.379/.586, 11 HR, 49 RBI, 67/24 K/BB, 4 SB in 268 AB for Single-A Sarasota
    .333/.405/.652, 4 HR, 15 RBI, 20/8 K/BB, 2 SB in 66 AB for Double-A Chattanooga

Bruce doesn't have quite as much defensive value as Cameron Maybin or Andrew McCutchen, but his power potential gets him rated the highest of the three high school outfielders taken consecutively in the 2005 draft. Bruce projects as a 35-homer guy from the left side of the plate. While it likely will be a couple of years before he's ready to hold his own versus left-handers, he should hit for average against righties. Bruce is still getting most of his time now in center field, but he figures to settle in as an above average defender in right in the majors. He could be a candidate to join the Cincinnati outfield before the end of next year, depending on what happens with Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr. Growing pains are likely, but he should be an All-Star in time.

20. Joey Votto - 1B Reds - DOB: 09/10/83 - ETA: July 2007
    Previous rankings: mid-2004 #144, 2005 #105, mid-2005 #130, 2006 ---, mid-2006 #63, 2007 #48

.315/.412/.482, 11 HR, 50 RBI, 66/50 K/BB, 10 SB in 305 AB for Triple-A Louisville

Since both Adam Dunn and Scott Hatteberg are candidates to be traded, Votto, who was drafted out of Canada in the second round five years ago, should be making his last appearance in the rankings. Votto offers 25-homer potential from the left side of the plate. Southpaws give him problems, so he could spend his first couple of years in the majors as a platoon player. He's capable of hitting .270-.280 with a quality OBP against right-handers right now. Votto is a natural first baseman, but he's been playing some left field this season just in case he's needed there. Ideally, he'd get to play first base right away after his promotion. His proximity to the majors and short-term upside make him a top fantasy prospect.

33. Johnny Cueto - RHP Reds - DOB: 02/15/86 - ETA: June 2008
    Previous rankings: none

4-5, 3.33 ERA, 72 H, 72/21 K/BB in 78 1/3 IP for Single-A Sarasota
    2-0, 0.47 ERA, 11 H, 27/4 K/BB in 19 IP for Double-A Chattanooga
    1-0, 3.60 ERA, 5 H, 6/0 K/BB in 5 IP for Triple-A Louisville

Cueto didn't make the preseason Top 150, though as the Reds' No. 6 prospect, he was one of the top five cuts. It was the likelihood of injury that hurt him then and still costs him a few spots now. Cueto can throw in the mid-90s and sits comfortably at 93 mph. His slider is a top-notch No. 2 pitch, and he's made a lot of progress with his changeup on his way to striking out more than a batter an inning this year. Because he stands just 5-foot-10, there's some thought that he might end up in the pen. However, that's only going to happen if arm problems strike. He's showing No. 2-starter upside.

#84 - Drew Stubbs

#133 - Travis Wood

Talk amongst yourselves.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rotoworld Top 150 MidSeason Prospects...

Drew Stubbs at 84 kind of questions the credibility of the list, otherwise I have no problems with those rankings. I actually think they're pretty spot on.

I had Bruce at #2, Votto at #14, and Cueto at #29 in my rankings. I would also put Wood and Watson in the 130-150 range.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-12-2007 at 10:27 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Drew Stubbs at 84 kind of questions the credibility of the list, otherwise I have no problems with those rankings. I actually think they're pretty spot on.
    Stubbs remains a top prospect because of his obvious skills. All he needs to do is learn to make better contact and he's a major leaguer of some sort. The majors are full of players who got off to very slow starts in the minors.

It remains to be seen if Stubbs is one of those.

It just seems kind of lazy to me- the guy puts up the awful numbers he's put up this year in a league he's too old for, and yet he moves UP 27 spots on the list from the preseason?
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

It just seems kind of lazy to me- the guy puts up the awful numbers he's put up this year in a league he's too old for, and yet he moves UP 27 spots on the list from the preseason?
    While I certainly don't agree with where Stubbs was ranked he plays a premiere defensive position where you dont have to hit a whole lot to be of value. His on base percentage suggests that if he ever hits at all, he will be quite valuable.

I have trouble seeing him as a top 100 guy right now, but he's certainly top 150.

Yes he has struggled, but with his plate patience he still has a shot at reaching his potential. The raw power just needs to start coming in. There is still a lot of talent there.

Could it be that a lot of scouts view Stubbs more highly than most people on this board?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Could it be that a lot of scouts view Stubbs more highly than most people on this board?
    Could be.

Definitely. It was the scouts that made him a top pick.

Stubbs was never a guy adored by stat analysis. Most scouts even predicted that Stubbs would be a major work in process and that his hitting wasn't going to be fast to develop.

Well then lets trade him for some value to whatever team employs such scouts.

Hatteberg, Weathers and Stubbs to the Yanks for Joba Chamberlain and Alan Thorne?
    Lohse and Stubbs to the Phils for Carlos Carrasco?
    Conine and Stubbs to the Braves for Matt Harrison?

I think you get the idea.
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-12-2007 at 01:50 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Isnt there a time period where you cant trade recently drafted prospects?
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Isnt there a time period where you cant trade recently drafted prospects?
    yep, its 1 year, and that time has passed with Stubbs
    Go BLUE!!!

Well then lets trade him for some value to whatever team employs such scouts.
    While I have always been a skeptic when it comes to Stubbs, there is no reason to make him a throwin on a trade. At this point he can't have much trade value. If not including him was a dealbreaker then by all means, include him. Otherwise, they should hang on to him.

Stubbs signing bonus is a sunk cost, he now costs the same as the rest of guys.
    Last edited by flyer85; 07-12-2007 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Stubbs remains a top prospect because of his obvious skills. All he needs to do is learn to make better contact and he's a major leaguer of some sort. The majors are full of players who got off to very slow starts in the minors.

It remains to be seen if Stubbs is one of those.
    The majors are not full of guys out of college programs who got off to starts anywhere near as bad as what Stubbs is doing. I've looked. I can't find anybody even close.

If Stubbs becomes a productive major leaguer after getting off to this bad a start then he's going to be a fairly unique animal. There is nothing normal about what he's going through (at least nothing that qualifies as normal for good players).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The majors are not full of guys out of college programs who got off to starts anywhere near as bad as what Stubbs is doing. I've looked. I can't find anybody even close.

If Stubbs becomes a productive major leaguer after getting off to this bad a start then he's going to be a fairly unique animal. There is nothing normal about what he's going through (at least nothing that qualifies as normal for good players).
    Honest question though, and I doubt you really can find an answer becuase of how these things are, but does anyone jump out that was just hurt their first two seasons in the minors in those cases who seemingly underperformed (not even to Stubbs extent, but still not what was expected) and then once healthy kind of blew up?

Turn Off Ads?