Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saarloos trade completed

Saarloos trade completed

The leftover bits of the Kirk Saarloos deal have been finished today, according to the team press notes. The Reds receive reliever Dan Denham, a 24 year old righty. He'll go to Sarasota. Oakland gets Julio Manon, a 34 year old AAA righty.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Saarloos trade completed

Organizational filler for future organizational filler. Good stuff.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

If that doesn't say bust right there, then I don't know what does. A 34 year old AAA player. Ha.

Denham is a former 1st-round pick and was a top Indians prospect for awhile. Could be interesting, if his arm is sound.

At least we got younger

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    At least we got younger

Yeah. But we lost all of that experience in the clubhouse.

Rem

Pay attention to the open sky

A 34 year old AAA righty whose name doesn't even remotely ring a bell...hmmm. That is a rare bird and an odd return for a former member of the A's rotation and a 24 year old former first rounder.

Could there be more going on here? This may be the prelude to a bigger deal...maybe.
    Last edited by Spitball; 07-13-2007 at 01:20 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    A 34 year old AAA righty whose name doesn't even remotely ring a bell...hmmm. That is a rare bird and an odd return for a former member of the A's rotation and a 24 year old former first rounder.

Could there be more going on here? This may be the prelude to a bigger deal...maybe.
    Don't forget that David Shaffer was sent to the A's originally too. I always thought that the "two players to be named later", with us both swapping each other an additional player, was a bit odd - but this wasn't Saarloos and Denham for Manon only.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Don't forget that David Shaffer was sent to the A's originally too. I always thought that the "two players to be named later", with us both swapping each other an additional player, was a bit odd - but this wasn't Saarloos and Denham for Manon only.
    No one ever said it was. The coments were vis a vie the two minor leaguers. However, I will say that this will build Krivskey's rep as a great trader by getting a former #1 pick for someone that Reds fans never heard of before.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    No one ever said it was. The coments were vis a vie the two minor leaguers. However, I will say that this will build Krivskey's rep as a great trader by getting a former #1 pick for someone that Reds fans never heard of before.

Rem
    Actually I was responding to Spitball who wrote, "an odd return for a former member of the A's rotation and a 24 year old former first rounder", but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I hope it's a nice pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Actually I was responding to Spitball who wrote, "an odd return for a former member of the A's rotation and a 24 year old former first rounder", but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I hope it's a nice pick up.

Thanks, Redsmetz, I had forgotten about Shaffer.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Denham has been backpedaling something serious. He was a HS draft pick in 2001 and made it to AAA in 2005... but ever since there have been problems. He walked a bunch of people in 2006 in AA, struggled a second time in AAA and was let go as a 6YR FA. Now, this year, he's made only 16 appearances, all in relief after starting exclusively for all of his career (except for '06), and struggled some more.

And now he's back in High-A. Hopefully the Reds made sure the guy was healthy first, because the stats show he might not be.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Yeah. But we lost all of that experience in the clubhouse.

Rem

Well, seems to me that if it is still in the clubhouse somewhere we ought to be able to find it.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Denham has been backpedaling something serious. He was a HS draft pick in 2001 and made it to AAA in 2005... but ever since there have been problems. He walked a bunch of people in 2006 in AA, struggled a second time in AAA and was let go as a 6YR FA. Now, this year, he's made only 16 appearances, all in relief after starting exclusively for all of his career (except for '06), and struggled some more.

And now he's back in High-A. Hopefully the Reds made sure the guy was healthy first, because the stats show he might not be.
    I'm just curious, and maybe this sounds crazy, but is it possible we've taken him knowing there might be such issues, but feel as if his ceiling might be high enough to work through? Or maybe we're just taking a flyer? It doesn't seem like we gave up much for him.

Turn Off Ads?