Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Defensive metric that has Dunn as the fifth-best left fielder in the NL?

Defensive metric that has Dunn as the fifth-best left fielder in the NL?

I believe I read here the other day that a defensive metric had Dunn as the fifth best left fielder in the NL. I can't put my finger on that or maybe I made it up. Anyone know what the reference is?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: quick Dunn question

I'd love to see this stat that says Dunn as the 5th best OF in the NL. I really would. I'm laughing as I type this suggesting someone uses "STATS" to suggest someone is a good OF. You don't have to look at "STATS" to anyone to say Dunn is an abortion in LF.

Re: Defensive metric that has Dunn as the fifth-best left fielder in the NL?

Maybe it's a stat that figures in Runs, RBIs or HR to offset errors and range.

Re: quick Dunn question

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    I'd love to see this stat that says Dunn as the 5th best OF in the NL. I really would. I'm laughing as I type this suggesting someone uses "STATS" to suggest someone is a good OF. You don't have to look at "STATS" to anyone to say Dunn is an abortion in LF.
    You are missing the entire point. Nobody is claiming that these stats show he is a good left fielder, but only how he compares to his peers. Dunn isn't a very good outfielder, but is average when compared to the rest of the league. There just aren't very many good left fielders in the game today.

Based on Dunn's Zone Rating, which is defined as "The percentage of balls fielded by a player in his typical defensive "zone," as measured by STATS, Inc.," he currently ranks 6th in the NL and 11th in the majors. He ranks ahead of such players as Matsui, Bay, Willingham, Bonds, Burrell, Lee, Ibanez, and Manny.

I'm not a real big fan of these "stats" because they are subjective, but it's at least something to go on when trying to judge a player's defense. I do remember someone posting just recently (I think in ORG) that Dunn ranked 5th, but he may have dropped a spot since that post.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/st...7&seasonType=2

How many errors does Dunn have this season? 4?
    Most Vottomatic Player

I think if you actually watch all the games you begin to realize that Dunn is an average or better left-fielder. I've caught about 85% of the innings on tv and you see how much better he's doing this year than the last three. He seems to just have better step instincts, especially going back on balls, than ever before. I think it has a lot to do with him being in better shape and having more confidence in the field, which probably all goes back to his efforts in the offseason and spring training to bring more to his defensive game.

Adam is having such a great all-around season doing a lot of little things (not flubbing balls, taking good angles, being smart on the basepaths) and some big things, it's so unfortunate that a majority of the public must focus on his few imperfections. I've had to vocally defend Adam at the games I've attended, to the point where I've shouted "I love you Adam" everytime he bats just to contrast the filthy stuff coming out of people's mouths. He deserves better.

I must be watching the other 15 percent of those games.

I see bad routes. I see terrible "wall awareness." I see poor throws to the infield. And just last week I was reminded that simple little grounders can sometimes jump over his glove.

Any metric that says Dunn is an above average left fielder leads me to reason that defensive metrics have a long way to go.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Quote Originally Posted by I(heart)Freel View Post
    Any metric that says Dunn is an above average left fielder leads me to reason that defensive metrics have a long way to go.
    Again, average only when compared to his peers.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Again, average only when compared to his peers.
    Who should he be compared to then?

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Who should he be compared to then?
    Other starting left fielders in the majors, hence his peers.

1st pick 2022 B.B. draft George Foster's Avatar

I see bad routes. I see terrible "wall awareness." I see poor throws to the infield. And just last week I was reminded that simple little grounders can sometimes jump over his glove.

"metrics assume that a hit to left would be a hit no matter who was playing left. How many times has Dunn had a bad route, or a late jump that was ruled a "hit" that should of been cought? It's bogus.
    Not this year...maybe a Wild Card

guess theres no just no way to prove to some that dunn is a great hitter and decent fielder......its pretty sad

if it makes you feel better, i watch all the games, and i have seen what you did in those 15% for most of the season, lol.

Dunn looks awkward out in left, he's definitely lost a step. His arm has mysteriously gotten weaker. He takes bad routes. He gets "Wily Mo Pena'd", i.e. the slice of the ball throws him causing a misplay.

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    "metrics assume that a hit to left would be a hit no matter who was playing left. How many times has Dunn had a bad route, or a late jump that was ruled a "hit" that should of been cought? It's bogus.
    That's why they've now come up with a stat called zone rating, tracking how well a player gets to balls in his zones, i.e., balls he should catch. In 2007, Adam Dunn has gotten to 86.2% (.862) of balls hit in his zones - good for 8th best of all LFers, and 4th best in the NL.

While Zone Rating has its flaws (what stat doesn't?), it's a pretty good indicator of how well a player gets to the balls he should, and despite popular belief AD does get to them as well as - or better than - most LFers.

Turn Off Ads?