Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Defensive metric that has Dunn as the fifth-best left fielder in the NL?

Re: Defensive metric that has Dunn as the fifth-best left fielder in the NL?

Quote Originally Posted by Lockdwn11 View Post
    I'm not out to put words in your mouth. Just answer me this, do you think Dunn is a above average defensive LFer?
    Nope, IMO he's about an average LFer, which is to say, he's equally bad as most LFers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Nope, IMO he's about an average LFer, which is to say, he's equally bad as most LFers.
    Ok then we will agree to disagree because I don't take into account how bad other players are when evaluating a player and I see him as a below-average OFer.

Ok then we will agree to disagree because I don't take into account how bad other players are when evaluating a player and I see him as a below-average OFer.
    If you don't take other players into account, how do you determine what "average" is?

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    If you don't take other players into account, how do you determine what "average" is?
    By watching the games,Watching the player I'm evaluating,watching him run, catch and throw maybe you should try it sometime it's alot of fun but on the other hand maybe you can just look at the box scores i mean the numbers tell you everything that happened and why right?
    Last edited by Lockdwn11; 07-15-2007 at 01:15 PM.

So you determine what "average" is by watching one player, that makes all the sense in the world.

So you determine what "average" is by watching one player, that makes all the sense in the world.
    So are you saying that when a pro scout go out to evaluate player A he goes ok I have seen enough of player A now let me go watch player B so I know how good of a player player A is ? Interesting,I mean that you have to know what another players arm or speed is like to tell if another player has a good arm or can run.WOW!!!
    Last edited by Lockdwn11; 07-15-2007 at 01:22 PM.

Yes, that's basically how it works. If you want to know if a player is above or below average, you need to know how good all of the other players at his position are. I'm sure if you just watched a bunch of LFs play you would think wow, these guys all suck at defense. But only 15 of them can be below average, the other 15 are above average. And because I don't have the time to watch every single baseball game of every team in MLB, the best way for me to establish the "average" LF is to use defensive metrics. Some metrics say Dunn is a bad LF (like UZR i believe) and some say he is an above average LF (like Zone Rating). That's why I think he is an average defensive LF in relation to the other LFs in MLB.

Yes, that's basically how it works. If you want to know if a player is above or below average, you need to know how good all of the other players at his position are. I'm sure if you just watched a bunch of LFs play you would think wow, these guys all suck at defense. But only 15 of them can be below average, the other 15 are above average. And because I don't have the time to watch every single baseball game of every team in MLB, the best way for me to establish the "average" LF is to use defensive metrics. Some metrics say Dunn is a bad LF (like UZR i believe) and some say he is an above average LF (like Zone Rating). That's why I think he is an average defensive LF in relation to the other LFs in MLB.
    Let me get this right,so you (yourself) need to see another guy run to be able to tell that Jose Reyes is fast or another guy hit to see that Adam Dunn has great power at the plate because I don't and I don't think most people would.
    Last edited by Lockdwn11; 07-15-2007 at 01:33 PM.

High five!

LF and 1B are places you stick guys that don't field so well. So its entirely possible that compared to all the other LF'ers in the league, Dunn is 5th best. Its faint praise at best.

I don't think he's very good out there but his offense outweighs that...to me.

Very well put SM. I think this is spot on, and I agree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Very well put SM. I think this is spot on, and I agree completely.
    I myself don't need to see another player play to tell if Adam Dunn sucks in the OF. I guess we are different in that way.

How do you measure yourself with other golfers?

When scouts evaluate these guys, the don't say "He's good." or "He's bad." They rate their tools on a 20-80 scale where 60 (I think) is major league average. They're compared against major league players.

This "just my opinion" stuff is bogus. The guy is only as good or bad a defender as he is, and that doesn't change based on who is watching. Its not a subjective matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post

When scouts evaluate these guys, the don't say "He's good." or "He's bad." They rate their tools on a 20-80 scale where 60 (I think) is major league average. They're compared against major league players.

This "just my opinion" stuff is bogus. The guy is only as good or bad a defender as he is, and that doesn't change based on who is watching. Its not a subjective matter.
    Believe it or not I know how things work and I know that scouts use the scale but what I am trying to say is if the guy has a GUN for a right or left arm he has a GUN no matter how good the next guys arm is if a guy can really pick it in the field he has a good glove no matter what the next guy does.I could care less who other teams have playing LF it doesn't make Dunn a better player.I see what you guys are saying but I just disagree I don't think you can say well all LFers suck Dunn sucks the least so that makes him a good LFer.I guess we are talking about two different things maybe you are saying Dunn is average compaired to the rest of the LFers, ok I will give you that but that doesn't make him a good LFer if your saying most LFers suck..
    Last edited by Lockdwn11; 07-15-2007 at 03:25 PM.

Believe it or not I know how things work and I know that scouts use the scale but what I am trying to say is if the guy has a GUN for a right or left arm he has a GUN no matter how good the next guys arm is if a guy can really pick it in the field he has a good glove no matter what the next guy does.I could care less who other teams have playing LF it doesn't make Dunn a better player.
    But, the next guy might have a better arm than the first, making the first guy's arm "not as good". Keep moving down the line through all 30 MLB teams, and you can rank the guy's arm among major leaguers. If he's around the middle, he doesn't really have a gun. He's just average.

Turn Off Ads?