Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BA Midseason Organizational Reports are out...

Re: BA Midseason Organizational Reports are out...

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    I'm not saying that he should have those problem areas fixed by now, but I find it disspointing that he has not taken a positive stride in either area. He is still basically the exact same putcher he was last season.
    I agree with you to an extent, but I saw Bailey really improving in his last few start at AAA before his promotion. His BBs started dropping and he was striking 'em out at a very nice rate, while keeping his anemic ERA low. The problem is, he now has to make his improvements against the toughest level of competition. Just like any golfer will tell you it's a heckuva lot easier going from a 30 handicap to a 25 than from 5 handicap to scratch, it's tougher for Bailey to make that final leap now that he's facing MLB hitters. It may be disappointing for some, but I see it as normal progression for a still very young pitcher.

2. Turn Off Ads?

uncalled for comments removed
    Last edited by Joseph; 07-14-2007 at 02:45 PM.

The biggest disappointment has to be Drew Stubbs. Here is a guy who is older than both Bailey and Bruce (O'briens two first round picks) and is struggling at low a ball. This was a lousy pick. (Could have been Lincecrum) If Krivsky would read moneyball he would realize, that guys who can't make contact in college don't magically start making contact in the pros. Look on the dayton team and look at all the guys who are younger and less touted than stubbs who are out producing him. Bailey put up outstanding numbers in AAA and has had several good and a couple of bad starts in the majors. Some people just expect too much too soon from Bailey. It will take Bailey time in the Majors just like it took almost every pitcher who has ever put on a uniform. For a college guy to struggle this poorly in low A as a first round pick is without a doubt the biggest disappointment to this organization.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

In defense of Stubbs, the guy has been hurt almost since day 1 in the Reds organization. The Reds and some of their fans have been spoiled by the likes of Jay Bruce and Homer Bailey. Not all first round picks, heck hardly any first round picks turn out to be what they are/were in the minors. Sure, Stubbs hasnt performed as I would say anyone has liked, but the guy has been hurt, especially this year enough that since day 1 of the season its been a 'he needs surgery after the season' thing.

Kevin Goldstein of BP picked Josh Roenicke as the biggest positive surprise over Gardner; they're both pretty good choices.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    In defense of Stubbs, the guy has been hurt almost since day 1 in the Reds organization. The Reds and some of their fans have been spoiled by the likes of Jay Bruce and Homer Bailey. Not all first round picks, heck hardly any first round picks turn out to be what they are/were in the minors. Sure, Stubbs hasnt performed as I would say anyone has liked, but the guy has been hurt, especially this year enough that since day 1 of the season its been a 'he needs surgery after the season' thing.
    Doug, I realize you are trying to look at things on the bright side but are you aware of any college top 10 picks who struggled this badly in Low A and still had a productive major league career? I understand that he is a little banged up, but it doesn't seem to be enough to make him into this.

I know that the question is a tough one, but just curious more than anything.

Are you talking about the turf toe thing Doug? How exactly would that effect him at the plate?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Are you talking about the turf toe thing Doug? How exactly would that effect him at the plate?
    Im going to go with balance, transfer of weight, turning your hips.... it all starts in your feet and legs.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Doug, I realize you are trying to look at things on the bright side but are you aware of any college top 10 picks who struggled this badly in Low A and still had a productive major league career? I understand that he is a little banged up, but it doesn't seem to be enough to make him into this.

I know that the question is a tough one, but just curious more than anything.
    I had a conversation with M2 about it the other day and he couldnt find anyone, but I also posed the question of 'does anyone else fit into the cotegory of being hurt like Stubbs has been' and neither of us could tink of anyone either.

Regardless of the reason, he is the biggest disappointment. No one else comes close to him. I'm not saying that they should get rid of the guy, but he is clearly the biggest dissapintment in the organization for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    A quick google search on 'turf toe' found this:
    "Turf Toe is a sprain of the metatarsophalangeal (MTP) joint of the first toe. That is, the joint of the toe to the foot is sprained. The injury usually results from a hyperflexion mechanism; the toe is bent to far upward. This can result from a hard push off on a rigid surface, having the toe forcibly flexed while being tackled, or by stopping short allowing the toe to jam in the toe box of the shoe. These mechanisms cause damage to the ligaments of the joint and the joint capsule."

"The immediate treatment for all grades of sprains is the same, Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. This is the standard for acute care of any athletic injury."

This info is from THIS WEB SITE.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Turn Off Ads?