Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mackanin should be fired already

Mackanin should be fired already

Forget whether or not this organization is committed to Edwin Encarnacion. By benching him two out of the first three games out of the all star break, the Reds have effectively sent any trade value he had garnered with a strong recent performance to the recycle bin. Nobody is going to ante up to his true value in a deal when the Reds are broadcasting to the world so clearly that they have lost faith in him. Not to mention, he is one of the top 2-3 most valuable players in the organization right now and should be getting ab's every day in the middle of the order without even a passing thought about trading him in the first place. I am just pointing out that there doesn't seem to be a defensable argument to benching him no matter what the pov is about his future.

The guy has hit since his demotion and has played good defense. A few more homers would be nice, but come on. I certainly understand driving up Freel's value. But with Hamilton out there is absolutely no excuse for not stationing Freel (and Farney) in the leadoff spot as the Reds center fielder and leaving the third base situation alone. If one of these gm's who reportedly love his "hustle" decide to overpay for a utility man with suicidal tendancies, let's indulge him.

I am dumbfounded at how the Reds manage to stumble their way into situations that hurt themselves with every move. Does the human element in baseball really create these factions between wisdom and prudence? Does Edwin eat lunch in his car and refuse to associate with his teammates, or something? Using Reganomics, the trickle down theory still fails when you substitute sunk cost like Norris Hopper for an asset like Encarnacion.

Ownership should be on top of this and intervening if the new substitute teacher is having so much trouble with his times tables. The Reds are desperately in need of the new math, and a professor who knows how to teach it.
    Last edited by Phhhl; 07-15-2007 at 03:20 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mackanin should be fired already

The dislike for EE(as a player) and the manlove for the likes of Freel and Hopper really defies description. Not playing EE yesterday was stupidity of the ighest order.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    The dislike for EE(as a player) and the manlove for the likes of Freel and Hopper really defies description. Not playing EE yesterday was stupidity of the ighest order.
    Why would you qualify his not playing these two games as dislike? Isn't that being unfair toward Mackanin?

I don't advocate playing the likes of Freel at 3B over EE. But I don't know if not playing 2 of the first 3 games coming out of the AS break as a benching. Not sure that qualifies as such. It certainly doesn't justify calling for a firing. Especially when the manager's win-loss record is 6-3, and he's been given orders to experiment.

EE's defense has improved; but I am somewhat disappointed in his offensive production to date. He has been somewhat of an enigma to me.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-15-2007 at 06:46 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

EE has disappointed me with his bat this season. However, his defense has been rock solid (one error since coming back from AAA).

Even with his unexpectedly poor performance this year, he is a better offensive alternative than Freel OR Hopper BY A LONG SHOT.

He is also a better DEFENSIVE option at 3B than Freel.

To top it off, his SB in the 9th inning on Thursday was his fifht this season. He has not been caught stealing. So, he can't bunt, but he CAN run.

It makes no sense to play regularly play Freel or Hopper over EE. Mac is as clueless as Narron was if he can't see that.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I wonder how long it will take for whatever "Superstar Manager" TM the Reds hire before the dogs start nipping at his feet too. You folks are a tough crowd when it comes to the long, long season baseball is.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I wonder how long it will take for whatever "Superstar Manager" TM the Reds hire before the dogs start nipping at his feet too. You folks are a tough crowd when it comes to the long, long season baseball is.
    You got that right!

Maybe they are simply trying to get Freel some playing time/ABs because he has been off so long? And since EE has come out of the gate in July pretty bad, 3B is the place to do that with Freel, and not risk him getting another concussion in CF? Possible?
    Last edited by GAC; 07-15-2007 at 08:54 AM.

I think Freel is being showcased for a trade with the deadline approaching. I think the Reds are trying to establish that he has more uses than as a marginal lead-off CF or a pretty good 4th OF. I think by giving him time in the IF that they are trying to say to the world that he still is useable as a supersub and frankly he has a lot more value to a contender as a supersub than as anything else.

At least I hope that is what is going on.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Its not secret to the world o fbaseball what Freel is. I dont think the Reds are going to fool anyone into thinking he is something different regardless where he plays.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I think Freel is being showcased for a trade with the deadline approaching. I think the Reds are trying to establish that he has more uses than as a marginal lead-off CF or a pretty good 4th OF. I think by giving him time in the IF that they are trying to say to the world that he still is useable as a supersub and frankly he has a lot more value to a contender as a supersub than as anything else.

At least I hope that is what is going on.
    exactly-we're going to see alot of strange things the next couple of weeks.
    Last edited by jojo; 07-15-2007 at 08:56 AM.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    Its not secret to the world o fbaseball what Freel is. I dont think the Reds are going to fool anyone into thinking he is something different regardless where he plays.
    True. But you get your best assessment of an automobile driving it, not sitting on the showroom floor. Having Freel sitting on the bench may send the signal that he still is not right (in the head).

I personally would love to keep Freel on my bench as a super-sub. Our bench is simpy putrid. But I have no problem with them dangling him out there if we can get something in return. Give it a try.

I think it was the other night, during the Mets game, where it was stated that Met's Mgr Randolph brags up Freel's hustle and all-out effort among his players.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I personally would love to keep Freel on my bench as a super-sub. Our bench is simpy putrid.
    I don't think Freel is bad at all as a bench player, but at $3 Million in 2008 and $4 Million in 2009, he's a luxury that the Reds can't afford. Those resources should go toward primary needs (like another top starter and a reliever or 2).
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

This team is going nowhere. EE should play everyday. Sitting him benefits noone. The Reds already know what they have in Freel.

We faced a lefty yesterday and again today. One would think that our right handed batters would be in there and doing well against lefties.

Not so. Both Freel and EE are hitting very poorly against lefties.
    Freel
    vs. lefties .146/.157/.280
    vs. righties .323/.400/.419

EE
    vs. lefties .226/.350/.310
    vs. righties .282/.345/.418

The Reds need to find a way to do better against left handed pitching. We also need to get more from 3rd base. That is supposed to be a power position, and EE has only 6 HRs and a .383 slugging there. And there is nobody close in Louisville or Chatanooga that will do much better.

I still have hope for EE. His defense HAS improved. Now if only he could find his lost power stroke.
    ďThis one was a perfect one. I donít know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. Ö I didnít know he could speak like that.Ē Brayan Pena 5/21/14

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    This team is going nowhere. EE should play everyday. Sitting him benefits noone. The Reds already know what they have in Freel.
    The other teams dont know...they want to see Freel.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    The other teams dont know...they want to see Freel.
    The most we'll get for Freel in a trade is minor league fodder. He's a 32-year-old poor man's Chone Figgins. Most of the time he gives away any of the positives he makes on the field with some boneheaded play in the OF or on the basepaths. He has a flair for the dramatic and is a valuable bench player, but let's not overestimate his value.

The Reds need to get their ship in order, and find out if EE is an answer or not. If you must, play Freel in CF and bench Hopper...who's on his best day is a decent reserve OF and pinch hitter/runner.

Turn Off Ads?