Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds and Twins dealing again???

Re: Reds and Twins dealing again???

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    The more I think about it, the Twins would probably love to have Freel. He could play third base this season and provide an option for center field next season.
    That's not bad and I think that the Reds are showcasing Freel. Personally I'd be happy to get out from under his contract and would be pretty happy with any number of guys for him. Morlan would be a good deal IMO.

This article suggested EdE though and I'd want Slowey or Garza. The Twins wouldn't be taking a big salary so more talent back would be required.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Exactly. I think a lot of people overlook that.
    Only because it's unfathomable. Should that option not be picked up, the Reds would still have to offer arbitration to Dunn to be eligible for compensation picks. Should Dunn accept arbitration, the Reds would be in a situation of possibly paying him even more than his option calls for. Don't offer him arbitration and you get nothing.

With a year of control left with cost certainty, neither are acceptable options. Should Dunn's option not be picked up, Krivsky needs to file that at the top of his resume under "Really Dumb Things I Did".
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch thatís over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.Ē
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Only because it's unfathomable. Should that option not be picked up, the Reds would still have to offer arbitration to Dunn to be eligible for compensation picks. Should Dunn accept arbitration, the Reds would be in a situation of possibly paying him even more than his option calls for. Don't offer him arbitration and you get nothing.

With a year of control left with cost certainty, neither are acceptable options. Should Dunn's option not be picked up, Krivsky needs to file that at the top of his resume under "Really Dumb Things I Did".

There's no way IMO that the Reds would juts let Dunn walk with nothing to show for it. People can say what they want about Wayne but I'm pretty sure he's not that stupid.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by osuceltic View Post
    Not if they have no intention of picking up that option. And I'm not sure they do.
    If they don't pick up his option (barring no trade of course), then they are idiots and deserve to lose.

If it's Dunn, I'm not settling for anything less than Slowey and Liriano. I might add in a BJ Symanski or a Drew Stubbs to get it done as well. If Ryan is still hesitant, pull out all the stops and add in Freel as a 3B. However, the Twinkies would have to include Baker as well. That would make Baker and Slowey solid pitchers for now, while Liriano becomes, hopefully, the ace to stand beside Harang and ahead of Bailey, Baker, and Slowey next season.

(Obviously, Arroyo would then be dealt as well, though I don't think he's overpaid by any means. Still, dealing chips like Arroyo are solid gold and likely to produce really nice prospects. I wouldn't be shocked, for example, if Arroyo and Weathers wouldn't produce a Hughes and Tabata value as the trading deadline approaches.

And that, sports fans, would make for an interesting arms race in 09.)

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Liriano is not going to be traded. Injury and all.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    There's no way IMO that the Reds would juts let Dunn walk with nothing to show for it. People can say what they want about Wayne but I'm pretty sure he's not that stupid.
    If the return is crummy it might be better to take a draft pick
    Go Gators!

I honestly can't see the Reds tossing EE out at this point, who is going to play 3rd? Freel? he's brutally awful there, and I thought the plan was Defense. Keppinger? would be nice to see him actually play if that's the plan
    Go Gators!

If Krivsky deals Encarnacion then I would hope he has a deal lined up for another third baseman like Chase Headley from the Padres or Brandon Wood from the Angels.

I could see the Reds trading EE.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

One thing if you lose in arbitration, IIRC, it's money only and thnere is no no-trade clause. It might make it easier to move him if you so choose.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Dealing Edwin opens up a trade of Dunn to San Diego.
    ???

They have traded for Bradley and everything I have seen says they are not trading Headley
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    One thing if you lose in arbitration, IIRC, it's money only and thnere is no no-trade clause. It might make it easier to move him if you so choose.
    That's an interesting point.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I honestly don't believe that EE is in any significant disfavor.

Its been documented that Narrons double standard in dealing with EE had an adverse effect on the clubhouse. I wonder now that Narron is gone and we are still seeing the mysterious bouts of EE bench riding that maybe it was coming from a bit higher?

Hopefully not and they are showcasing Freel and his versatility(hoping that no one notices his many glaring weaknesses). I really do feel giving up on EE at this point would be premature, not to mention potentially selling at a low point for him.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post

The odds of Dunn accepting arbitration rather then entering the market would be somewhere under 10% IMHO.

I don't view his production for next year as much of a risk so I tend to agree that his option should be picked up and they could part ways after '08 and still at worst get two comp picks after enjoying a standard year of Dunn's bat at a fair price.

That said, the FO might be envisioning Bruce in GABP next year in which case there are 3 spots for 4 outfielders. They may feel it a priority to get rid of one of their expensive outfielders. If the market is soft for both Jr and Dunn (i.e. just because we fans think the Twins would be lucky to get Dunn for no less than Liriano and Slowey doesn't mean that's the reality Krisky is dealing with), Dunn is the easiest to cut ties with and they are essentially guaranteed no worse than two compensatory picks (which are really pretty valuable). It's possible the only reason Dunn is still a Red is because so far two compensatory picks beats the best offer Krivsky has had.

It's true that depending upon who the Reds draft, they may end up with zilch. But they may also get guys like these comp picks (taken from a list on USSM of 38 comp picks received from letting rent a players walk between 2000 and 2006): David Wright, Nick Swisher, Huston Street, Joe Blanton, Mark Teahen, David Aardsma, Aaron Heilman, Philip Hughes, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Adam Miller, and JoJo Reyes.

Guess I'm suggesting that I can envision a scenario where giving Dunn away is better than if they traded him in the long run. Maybe Bruce is the wildcard in this scenario that may be largely getting ignored because his explosive rise this season might be taking alot of reds fans by surprise.
    Last edited by jojo; 07-15-2007 at 09:22 PM.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?