Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bobby L taking Homer's spot in the rotation?

Bobby L taking Homer's spot in the rotation?

Apparently Bobby L is getting Homer's next two starts for the Reds.

Thoughts?
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bobby L taking Homer's spot in the rotation?

Good. I didn't want him up at all this year anyway, especially not with the solid yet somewhat underwhelming numbers he was putting up in AAA.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

I find it weird that this is happening after arguably Bailey's best major league start.

Not that I'm against it since I never wanted him in the majors in the 1st place. Just odd timing.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Good. I didn't want him up at all this year anyway, especially not with the solid yet somewhat underwhelming numbers he was putting up in AAA.
    Yeah.

Trying to trade Bobby L might be a component in the decision.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

No big deal to me; keep him pitching, get him used to pitching longer into the season while keeping his innings per outing at a reasonable level, and get him ready for a full year with the Reds in 2008.

I would not be surprised to see Homer spend the next 6 weeks in AAA, and then September with the Reds. And that's OK. I'd love to see what Livingston and Dumatrait can do up here as well.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I was a proponent for keeping him down, so it's fine by me, as long as they're making him focus on things like secondary pitches rather than having him down there to just continue blowing fastballs by AAA hitters. And if that's what they intend on doing, I wouldn't mind if he stayed there until around September.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

1) The organization is sending Bailey a message after his last AAA start which was atrocious. They want to make sure he understands that whether he's starting in the big leagues or in the minors, he needs to keep his head in the game....he obviously was lacking something a few days ago.

2) They want to keep Bailey on his 5 day rotation, and with the way the rotations are set up currently, there's no spot for him up here, so they'll keep him down in AAA for now, unless he doesn't show progress.

3) The most popular answer I'm guessing...Krivsky is an idiot and doesn't know what he's doing with young pitchers.

I lean more with 1 and 2 right now. Either way, he got his feet wet and got a taste of the big show. That's not a bad thing.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 07-15-2007 at 10:51 AM.

This whole thing just doesn't sit well with me, especially after his last start with the Reds. I have a feeling we're not getting the whole story.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Homer's not eligible to come up Monday anyway, it would only be day 8 of the 10 day minimum.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

Another reason you probably won't see Homer up here soon is the Reds are not on his regular days of rest when Livingston's spot comes up. The Reds don't have another off day until July 30th. So unless you are going to change around another pitcher's rotation days I don't see Homer up here for a while. Which is not really a bad thing. He can definetly use more time at AAA.

I have to wonder if Homer being up was a final nod to Narron. Narron lobbied for him all last year and Krivsky said no. Maybe as management started to think about canning Narron they thought they would give him a shot with Homer. It seems reasonable that Narron would have the excuse of "I didn't have a chance with the best players because Homer was left in AAA" (not a real quote) or something along those lines. Maybe Krivsky thought he'd give Narron his way to see if he could turn it around before canning him. Now that Narron is gone, Homer is back down.

Just a theory. It also could have nothing to do with any of that.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Bailey needs to be refining his game. While he clearly will be a major league pitcher, there's a fine line between struggling and getting killed. He can't exactly work on his game if he's scared to throw strikes at all.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

The more I think about this whole thing, the more irritated I become. I am so tired of this organization not knowing how to handle their pitching prospects. Has this news become official yet? If so I'm assuming that the Reds offered no explanation for the decision? Good Lord, either leave him up or leave him down...quit screwing with the kids head.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Agreed.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?