Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Brandon Phillips--Sometimes Walks Don't Matter?

Brandon Phillips--Sometimes Walks Don't Matter?

.280/.326.

Not a great line. On the surface you look at that and say wow, that guy is an "outs machine" and he really needs to work on draw walks. Part of your statement is correct.

Then consider the fact he is slugging just south of .500, has 19 homers, 54 RBIs, and 16 stolen bases. Did I mention he is barely 26, is a 2nd baseman, and was acquired (by Krivsky) for a PTBNL?

Phillips is on pace for:
    .280 BA
    .326 OBP
    .487 SLG
    .823 OPS
    33 HRs
    98 RBIs
    110 runs
    (208 runs created)
    28 SBs

Not bad eh? Every once in awhile you can find that rare player who can hit sub .300 and get away with not walking a ton. Brandon Phillips may be that player. He plays a position that isn't a great offensive position, he posses all the tools, and he still hasn't reached his peak.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brandon Phillips--Sometimes Walks Don't Matter?

walks are overrated in a way in my opinion, because when teams need outs they pitch to you, thats why dunns avg. is so low with RISP. phillips is a guy that makes things happen. he's a superstar in the making. good post though.

Re: Brandon Phillips--Sometimes Walks Don't Matter?

I think you hit on it by mentioning that he plays 2B, a generally subpar offensive position. That makes his .280/.326/.497 look absolutely fantastic, and it's pretty easy to overlook the lack of walks when you are slugging almost .500 as a second baseman. I do think that BP developing some plate discipline is the final step in him going from a good player to a star.

Turn Off Ads?