Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Jay Bruce the next Ken Griffey, Jr?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Is Jay Bruce the next Ken Griffey, Jr?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Is Jay Bruce the next Ken Griffey, Jr?

No, he isnt. There probably won't ever be another Ken Griffey Jr.

Im sure Rick Sweet thinks very highly of Jay Bruce, but Griffey was on another planet in terms of a prospect compared to just about anyone not named Alex Rodriguez.

No.

I didn't bother to read the article, but no.

Rick Sweet had better go into hiding before Reds fans gun him down for talking positive about a Reds prospect.

Do I think Bruce is the next Griffey Jr.? No, but I do think he is going to be a very, very special player for a long time.

Is Jay Bruce the next Ken Griffey Jr.?
    Sweet has high hopes for new Bat

By C.L. Brown
    cbrown@courier-journal.com
    The Courier-Journal

Rick Sweet's career as a manager launched the same time Ken Griffey Jr. made his minor league debut.

Sweet managed Griffey at the Seattle Mariners' Single-A affiliate in Bellingham, Wash. Griffey was fresh out of high school in 1987 and didn't turn 18 until after Bellingham completed its season.

Now Sweet, in his third season with the Louisville Bats, believes he saw a Griffey clone when Jay Bruce was promoted from Double-A Chattanooga on Thursday.

Sweet first spent time with Bruce during spring training when he was just 19. Bruce turned 20 in April and has been turning heads as the Cincinnati Reds' top outfield prospect.

"The only young player at 18-19 that I've seen that I would consider maybe a better player than Jay Bruce is Ken Griffey Jr.," Sweet said. "I had Junior also at the same age. Jay Bruce is close to that category, if not at that category. Time will tell."

Bruce joined Bats first baseman Joey Votto in the Major League Baseball Futures Game, which features the best minor league talent, held over the All-Star break in San Francisco.

Bruce started the season with Class-A Sarasota, where he hit .325 with 11 homers, 27 doubles and 49 RBIs. He spent 16 games with Chattanooga, hitting .333 with four homers and 15 RBIs before being sent to Louisville.

"Sometimes I've got to pinch myself a little bit," Bruce said. "It's happening so quickly and everything. The bottom line is they obviously think that I can perform at the levels that they put me at, so that gives me confidence.

"It's kind of weird right now, but it's a good weird. I like it."

Bruce's tenure with Louisville isn't guaranteed to be a long one. He could get sent back to Chattanooga when several Reds, including Josh Hamilton and Juan Castro, come off the disabled list and force roster moves.

Then again, the way Bruce has rocketed to Triple-A this season, by then he could solidify himself in the lineup. Bruce's first game with the Bats showed why he's been so highly touted.

He hit a towering solo homer off Scranton/Wilkes-Barre pitcher Chase Wright. He also gunned down Angel Chavez at home with a throw Bruce thought he was late making.

"I try to look at every opportunity as a step closer to the big leagues and trying to get to the big leagues," Bruce said. "I'm going to make the best out of it and learn from guys here. It's going to be a great experience for me."
    Bats and Big Blue

The Bats will welcome a few of "Rupp's Runts" to their game against Durham on Thursday. Former University of Kentucky basketball players Louie Dampier, Tommy Kron and Thad Jaracz will be present as part of Big Blue night at Louisville Slugger Field.

The Bats, along with the Greater Louisville chapter of the UK Alumni Association, will have a designated Wildcat section, and tickets are $6. Those seats must be ordered in advanced by calling Matt Andrews at (502) 212-2287, ext. 618.

The UK dance team will make a special appearance. A $1 draft beer special at the Overlook Grill will run from 5:30-7 p.m. Dampier, Kron and Jaracz will autograph team pictures for $1 for those in the Wildcat section or a $5 donation to the UK Alumni Association Scholarship Fund for all others.

C.L. Brown can be reached at (502) 582-4044.

I'll be happy if he's the Larry Walker he was originally compared to, no one is Junior but Junior.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

He may not be the next Junior, but when someone with any kind of baseball credibility at all puts Bruce in a similar category with one of the best hitters ever, it makes me a little more optimistic.

I just got to see the minor league all star game this morning and the ball Bruce hit for a triple. It was ridiculous. The outfielders were admiring the rocket shot. The CFer looked like he was ducking from the ricochet. When it came off the bat the first thing in my mind was, "is he using an aluminum bat?" The pitch was up around his eyes, Im like man dudes got it.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Jay Bruce is an absolute stud of a prospect, no doubt about it. He kills the baseball, probably unlike anyone in the minor leagues (which is probably why he leads the minors in XBH).

600 lifetime homeruns...10 straight gold gloves...if he accomplishes a little more than half that i would be happy

I've heard the Larry Walker comparisons and from what I've seen out of Bruce, that's not a bad comp.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

im thinking more like Todd Helton

Is Jay Bruce the next Ken Griffey Jr.?

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    He may not be the next Junior, but when someone with any kind of baseball credibility at all puts Bruce in a similar category with one of the best hitters ever, it makes me a little more optimistic.
    That's what I was thinking, too. Makes me feel all warm and gooey inside.

The part that excites me about Jay Bruce as a hitter is the way it sounds off the bat when he makes solid contact it virtually jumps off the bat. He uses all the fields , not just a pull hitter the Reds have something very special in young Mr. Bruce.

He seems to make adjustments as he goes along, is not a bad hitter vs lefties, seems to have a high baseball iq. I believe all Rick Sweet to be a pretty good judge of talent , Griffey may indeed be a reach , but nice to hear Bruce even mentioned in that class.

Senor Votto

There can be only one....

Ken Griffey Jr.

Turn Off Ads?