Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 07-15 Minor League updates

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: 07-15 Minor League updates

Denis Phipps is on fire lately. Absolutely crushing the baseball.

2. Turn Off Ads?

A clutch 9th inning performer?

Bring him up now for Moeller, let him hit in the 9th inning only.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed07 View Post
    Mr. Phipps does it again. 3 run walk off bomb. Dragons win 3-2!!!!!!!
    Daggonnit!!!! I was at the game, got there a tad late (missed the 1st inning). My brother was driving and he wanted to leave early so when the lights went out (top 8) we went ahead and left, the Dragons hadn't done much of anything all night (sans Stubbs and the pitching and Def) and I told him we would regret it. Man that stinks!! Next time I'm driving!

Anyhow Smit looked solid, but was only hitting 87 max on the stadium radar (Again, I did miss the 1st).

Stubbsy was hitting the ball hard all night, and man that kid is big. The LH they were opposing Zach Phillips was in a groove all 7 IP giving up only 4 hits. He also had a nice pick off move and the baserunners were fooled completely all night (as was I, sitting down the 1st base line in perfect position to see it) again sans Drew Stubbs he seemed to p/u his move to 1st pretty quick but not enough to get a great jump. I finally p/u it up (I think) about the 5th inning (head movement) and I saw all of his moves so take that FWIW.

Marcos Mateo was throwing about the hardest right around 91 (I think I saw one at 93) and down to around 74.

All in all it was relatively uneventful, and of course as I knew it would be until the lights went out in Dayton and I left.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Anyhow Smit looked solid, but was only hitting 87 max on the stadium radar (Again, I did miss the 1st).
    Thanks for the report! Somebody was speculating on another thread that Smit's poor numbers this season may be due to injury - this seems like more evidence for that theory. The articles I read about him had his fastball in the 92-94 range.

I will be following Smit closely to see if he could get back to the way he was when he was a top prospect. He throws left handed and is still young so he has a shot.

I thought Smit was hurt. I just can't see how his numbers would go that far south by just moving up 1 league. It's not that big of a jump for the numbers to take that far of a tumble. I have nothing but the numbers to base it on. Maybe the kid is fine.

Turn Off Ads?