Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bringing Up AA Players

Bringing Up AA Players

Reds' TV announcers mentioned several times that the Braves do not hesitate to bring up their best prospects to the majors straight from AA. The Braves have employed this strategy successfully for years. I don't think it's hurt too many players. The Reds philosophy is the polar opposite. What do you think?

I for one think the Reds should not hesitate to bring up a Jay Bruce or a Calvin Medlock from AA if that's what the big club needs. I'd like to see them bring up more guys from AA and do not think it should be some sort of taboo.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bringing Up AA Players

FYI, in case you may or may not have known, Bruce and Medlock are both in AAA
    Last edited by 11larkin11; 07-19-2007 at 12:04 AM.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Bruce is in AAA....and not exactly lighting it up

Hes fine. Hes hitting the ball hard, just right at people. Its called a slump, soon the ball will start falling
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Reds' TV announcers mentioned several times that the Braves do not hesitate to bring up their best prospects to the majors straight from AA. The Braves have employed this strategy successfully for years. I don't think it's hurt too many players. The Reds philosophy is the polar opposite. What do you think?

I for one think the Reds should not hesitate to bring up a Jay Bruce or a Calvin Medlock from AA if that's what the big club needs. I'd like to see them bring up more guys from AA and do not think it should be some sort of taboo.
    Just a cursory glance, but some have made the jump, but most have gone through AAA for the Braves.

I think we're better served letting our players develop at each level, even if it's just a short stint at one lower level, then moving up. For many years, Bowden was notorious for bringing folks from AA and AAA was basically a lot of retreads, fillers. Few of our prospects were going through Triple A. That has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    FYI, in case you may or may not have known, Bruce and Medlock are both in AA.
    He is saying to bring them up FROM AA to the majors. Bruce and Medlock are in AAA though. Maybe you just missed another A which I think is what happened.

I personally like what they are doing with Votto, but I think Bruce will be ready by ST of next year. He's a different breed than Votto and other prospects we've had.
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 07-18-2007 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Town Red View Post
    He's had 21 AB's, has a triple, and a HR. He was in High A about a month ago. What do you expect him to be doing?

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    He's had 21 AB's, has a triple, and a HR. He was in High A about a month ago. What do you expect him to be doing?
    excuse me.. but i am one of the biggest Jay Bruce fans on this board...i was trying to make a point that Jay is not ready to jump up to the Reds just yet, as the thread indicated...he is not ready...that's what i mean by he was not lighting it up..the thread starter didn't even know he was in AAA

excuse me.. but i am one of the biggest Jay Bruce fans on this board...i was trying to make a point that Jay is not ready to jump up to the Reds just yet, as the thread indicated...he is not ready...that's what i mean by he was not lighting it up..the thread starter didn't even know he was in AAA
    Ok, my b. Sounded like you were bashing him for not tearing it up. Kind of hard to catch on to the tone of messages on the internet. Especially because some can be so critical.

..the thread starter didn't even know he was in AAA

I am well aware that Medlock and Bruce are currently in AAA and that makes my point. The Reds feel they have to go through AAA before coming to the majors whereas the Braves, in certain situations, bring them straight from AA. My guess is if the Braves needed an outfielder they'd reach for Jay Bruce rather than Dwayne Wise.

You are wrong in thinking I didn't know those two were currently in AAA and do not think that I'm advocating bringing them up right now. The team is rolling with what they've got. Hypothetically speaking, if a need arises, I would not be opposed to the Reds calling up guys like them or Cueto or whoever even if they have none or almost no AAA experience.

Yeah, well I think the difference is that Atlanta is usually competitive year in and year out. They are bringing those players up from AA rather than going out and dealing away their prospects for proven "overpriced" major league players. The Reds, eh, not so much. What's the point of the Reds bringing a kid up straight from AA to a team that's 5 to 15 games under .500?
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Yeah, well I think the difference is that Atlanta is usually competitive year in and year out. They are bringing those players up from AA rather than going out and dealing away their prospects for proven "overpriced" major league players. The Reds, eh, not so much. What's the point of the Reds bringing a kid up straight from AA to a team that's 5 to 15 games under .500?
    But since his tenure began, Krivsky has not traded an significant prospect for anybody. A number of us have noted that as folks have had their shorts in a bunch over WK's trades. He's hung on to our big name prospects thus far.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

He hasn't even been there a week, has he?

Give him time.

Turn Off Ads?