Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Are you looking forward to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I can't wait! I'll be there at midnight for the first copy!

9 12.68%
  • Yes, I'm going to read it.

16 22.54%
  • Harry Potter? Who Cares?

24 33.80%
  • When does football season start?

22 30.99%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pottermania: Day 1

Re: Pottermania: Day 1

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I do want to read it eventually. But first, I need to read the first six.
    Just started reading the first one. It is an easy read and I don't know what all the fuss about it is. Read 150 pages in two nights so it flows pretty good.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Just started reading the first one. It is an easy read and I don't know what all the fuss about it is. Read 150 pages in two nights so it flows pretty good.
    They get significantly better as you get further into the series. More complex, less child-like.

The author has an incredible descriptive sense. Reminds me (almost) of Tolkien!
    I've done each of the series as an audio book. The reader is excellent - really entertaining in the car on long drives!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    It isn't until The Prisoner of Azkaban (Book 3) that Rowling really gets her sea legs as a writer. Up until that point the books are all very clever (and very much inspired from a lot of different sources -- various folklore, some Tolkien and a dash of Roald Dahl w/ the Dursleys) but mostly light and entertaining reading. The names are cute, the characters are young, the plots aren't overly complex.

Book 3 marks a real change in the tone of the stories -- the characters start to get a lot more weight to them, the plots start to tighten up and she starts to show a real gift for creating suspense and emotion through the writings. The characters become more important than the amazing world they inhabit. Once that shift gets made, they become really impossible to put down, IMO.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

In the words of Marty Brennaman--"I would rather get hit in the head with a brick".

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

FYI - the New York Times Book Reviewer already has read a copy of the book- and there are spoliers galore in the in the link below

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/19/bo...in&oref=slogin

Gah! No spoilers in the thread please!!
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I am one going to a Midnight Madness party! But im not getting the book, i have it preordered from Amazon
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Waiting in line with my wife for about 90 minutes tonight - she was besides herself about the last book. Picked up her ticket at Barnes & Noble - then went next door and did baby shopping for about 2 1/2 hours, and then went back to wait in line. Lots of happy people, and considering this was my first Potter wait - the crowd was much older than I expected.

All in all, an interesting cultural phenomenon.

i hate harry potter.

It's an absolutely fantastic book as it turns out. Hugely satisfying.

And, yes, I am 37-year-old who has been enthralled with this series.

Rowling is a genius.

My wife and two of my kids went to the midnight pickup at JosephBeth's. My oldest daughter was in Pittsburgh for a wedding and she and some of her college buds went to Borders to pick up some copies. My son finished the book today and my younger daughter's nearly finished with it.

My wife and I both have other books we need to finish first. I'll probably let her read it first and then I'll read it last.

My son said the ending was satisfying and left it at that.

Definitely impressed me.

I finished just a little bit ago. I bawled. It is really a beautiful, beautiful book. There is paragraph near the end that I had to stop and read over about twelve times because it was just so plain affecting and, I dunno, life-encompassing.

I'll have to read it again at some point to pick up on everything...I know there are a ton of references in it I didn't get, a ton of nuances -- but I had to get through it this way once because these books are, above all else, just dang good suspenseful page-turners.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

My eldest daughter read this in about 5 hours. My younger one (who takes her time) now has it.

I might be able to get my hands on it by the weekend, but I'm thinking of getting the Audio CDs. I've listened to several of those and they're great for long plane/train or road trips.

The guy who does the voices (Jim Dale) is excellent.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?