Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Walt Jocketty and Tony Larussa for 2008?

Re: Walk Jocketty and Tony Larussa for 2008?

Quote Originally Posted by mound_patrol View Post
    Buster Olney had this to say in his latest blog.

By the way: There continues to be a lot of under-the-radar chatter in baseball about La Russa and St. Louis GM Walt Jocketty moving on to Cincinnati together after this season.

I know this has been brought up before, but I find it interesting that this is still being discussed.

I don't know how I'd feel about this. I'd like to have Jocketty running the show, but I've grown to hate Larussa from his days as a Cardinals manager. Larussa has had great success in his years as a manager, but there also seems to be more disagreements lately in the Cardinals clubhouse.
    Is there a link to this? Id like to show it to a friend.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    Is there a link to this? Id like to show it to a friend.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...e=olney_buster

it's about a 5th of the way down the page in his blog, after the Bush interview.

Not sure if you have to be an ESPN insider to read his blog though.
    Last edited by mound_patrol; 07-17-2007 at 12:55 PM.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

LaRussa is one of the most overhyped managers in baseball right now. His time with the A's they got to 3 World Series where they were heavy favorites and if not for an earthquake letting him pitch Stewart 3 times that series they might have lost that one too. St. Louis same deal, he's always had the talent to be among the top teams but he usually chokes when someone turns up the heat.

Dave Duncan and Walt??? Bring em in!!!

Paul O'Neill or Barry Larkin for hitting coach/bench coaches?

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    St. Louis same deal, he's always had the talent to be among the top teams but he usually chokes when someone turns up the heat.
    He won a World Series last year with what many would call an average talented team. It's hard to argue his ability as a manager based on his numbers. Agreed, he has managed for some successful organizations, but St. Louis has never been considered an organization that compared to others like New York, Boston, etc. who are always loaded with talent.

The fact is that he knows how to win and that's exactly the mentality that needs to be infused into the Reds clubhouse.

Paul O'Neill or Barry Larkin for hitting coach/bench coaches?

I always see on this board people mentioning O'Neill and Larkin as potential coaches or managers, but I have never heard from either of these two individuals that they are interested at all in getting in to coaching let alone being a coach for the Reds.

If we are only hoping and speculating a former Red wants to be a coach then lets go for broke and speculate Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan and Tony Perez are coming back to coach next year!!!

"Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    He won a World Series last year with what many would call an average talented team. It's hard to argue his ability as a manager based on his numbers. Agreed, he has managed for some successful organizations, but St. Louis has never been considered an organization that compared to others like New York, Boston, etc. who are always loaded with talent.

The fact is that he knows how to win and that's exactly the mentality that needs to be infused into the Reds clubhouse.
    Thank Dave Duncan's projects for that. Payroll that usually bordered in the 90-100 mil range I think but that may not be in the Mets range but its up there.

http://stlouis.bizjournals.com/stlou...4/daily60.html $92.1 mil in 05 and...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...bargains_x.htm

Doesnt say exact amount but probably in the mid-$90s million ballpark.

so i have one person's reasoning on why that trade wasn't awful at the time. Yet no comments on why the cardinals have one of the worst minor league systems in baseball, or why the Cardinals are only marginaly better than the Reds with 20-30 million more in payroll, and featuring one of the best players in the game?

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    so i have one person's reasoning on why that trade wasn't awful at the time. Yet no comments on why the cardinals have one of the worst minor league systems in baseball, or why the Cardinals are only marginaly better than the Reds with 20-30 million more in payroll, and featuring one of the best players in the game?
    Do you disagree with the reasoning for the trade? As for the system how much does the GM do? I know he hires the assistant that does the draft but he isnt pulling the trigger. He could just as easily leave our guy in place to run the draft, I think its Buckley??? And they've had a couple guys pan out from their minors...Pujols.

If your opinion is that Krivsky deserves more time or has been great here in Cincinnati that's your opinion. My opinion of Krivsky isn't a good one.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

part of BBN

Re: From Lance's blog

Quote Originally Posted by ED44 View Post
    If this is the case, will we see the Reds sit tight on the roster (big names anyway...Dunn/Jr)? I can't imagine Bob giving WK free reign if he isn't going to be back next year. What happens to the roster come the end of the month, could give us a hint whether this will happen in the offseason or not.
    I was thinking this same thing.

uoduck1017

Re: Walt Jocketty and Tony Larussa for 2008?

Hopefully the Reds don't completely stand pat because they definately have some good trading chips (Weathers, Hatteberg...etc.)

something will happen as far as trades...but i doubt its one of our big guys

part of BBN

I dont get to listen to a whole lot of reds games but when I do,the 2nd inning guest usually gets asked the same type questions like tonight on EG' s return or someone else's status.
    Has Marty ever addressed Hal, C, John about this ?
    If so, what was the response concerning Jocketty and friends ?

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    perhaps they are unable to sustain success without performance enhancers.

Quote Originally Posted by rocko View Post
    I dont get to listen to a whole lot of reds games but when I do,the 2nd inning guest usually gets asked the same type questions like tonight on EG' s return or someone else's status.
    Has Marty ever addressed Hal, C, John about this ?
    If so, what was the response concerning Jocketty and friends ?
    They probably won't ever put their 2 cents on it in. Because that could be seen as tampering and would/could bring a fine from the league among other punishment as long as Jocketty is under contract for another team.

part of BBN

They probably won't ever put their 2 cents on it in. Because that could be seen as tampering and would/could bring a fine from the league among other punishment as long as Jocketty is under contract for another team.

Turn Off Ads?