Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Efrain Contreras

Efrain Contreras

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=447757
    I haven't really seen his name mentioned this year, but Efrain Contreras (who plays in the VSL) is having a monster year. He is currently hitting .306 -.411-.544 for a .956 OPS. He leads the VSL in HRs(10), 2Bs(12), and OPS. He also is 5th in the league in SBs(17) and he has excellent plate discipline(22 BBs and 29 SOs in 180 PAs). Did I mention that he is a CF. Obviously none of us know how good of a defender he is, but with his speed and power on offense, I bet he has a good throwing arm and plenty of range. I don't like using this term, but he is a definite 5-tool prospect.
    He is 20 years old right now, and the only thing I know about him is his stats, but IMO he is an excellent prospect. So we should all keep an eye on him. Hopefully, he's the starting CF in Dayton next year.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Efrain Contreras

He is 'old' for that level. I have not yet seen a guy come from the VSL or DSL and go straight to Dayton outside of two relief pitchers. I have no idea what his prospect status actually is, but I would venture to say he would have a hard time making the Reds top 50 right now because well, he is not in the country playing and the Reds have plenty of his teammates from last year over here that are younger than he is playing.

Everytime I check the VSL boxscore he seems to be doing something.

I have no idea what type of competition he is facing.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He is 'old' for that level. I have not yet seen a guy come from the VSL or DSL and go straight to Dayton outside of two relief pitchers. I have no idea what his prospect status actually is, but I would venture to say he would have a hard time making the Reds top 50 right now because well, he is not in the country playing and the Reds have plenty of his teammates from last year over here that are younger than he is playing.
    You have to wonder if he has some visa issues. Why else would he be stuck in Venezuela putting up the numbers he has so far, in addition to his "old" age?

With Chavez running things in Venezuela don't be suprised if he turns their baseball industry into another Cuba.

Word on the street is that teams are a little edgy about investing any money in winter ball facilities due to the political climate.

Keeping player from leaving the country would be his logical next step.
    Heck, if he can nationalize international oil companies assets--------

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Right, and those relievers- Pedro Viola and Ramon Geronimo- are both several years older. I believe Viola is now 24.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Yeah, both started the year at 23 years old in Dayton. Both have performed very well, but with that said they are both old for the levels they are both at. Of course the age level for relievers is a little different for the most part but still.

Turn Off Ads?