Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Krivsky should wait until Jermaine Dye is traded before he trades Dunn

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Krivsky should wait until Jermaine Dye is traded before he trades Dunn

If Dye brings alot back in return to the White Sox we might be able to get more than we expect for Dunn.
    Last edited by macro; 07-17-2007 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Clarification of thread title

Re: Krivsky should wait until Jermaine Dye is traded before he trades Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    If Dye brings alot back in return to the White Sox we might be able to get more than we expect for Dunn.
    I'm not a big fan of trading Dunn at all. Getting a player back like Scott Baker would help persuade my thinking, but I have a hard time trading Dunn when we have an aging vet in Jr in rightfield. I also understand that something is going to have to be done with Bruce knocking on the door for the 2008 campaign. I propose that Bob C get the Reds to change leagues so we can play all 4 of our outfielders at once.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by mound_patrol View Post
    I'm not a big fan of trading Dunn at all. Getting a player back like Scott Baker would help persuade my thinking, but I have a hard time trading Dunn when we have an aging vet in Jr in rightfield. I also understand that something is going to have to be done with Bruce knocking on the door for the 2008 campaign. I propose that Bob C get the Reds to change leagues so we can play all 4 of our outfielders at once.
    I personally don't think Bruce will start 2008 in the bigs. In my opinion he'll be starting in Triple A. He could get a call up midseason but I really can't see him in the bigs at the start of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    I personally don't think Bruce will start 2008 in the bigs. In my opinion he'll be starting in Triple A. He could get a call up midseason but I really can't see him in the bigs at the start of the season.
    Yeah, that's my thinking as well. However, if Bruce hits in AAA like he has in every other level he's played at, along with a very good Spring Training, he might force the Reds' hand to break camp with the big league team. That's a tall order for sure, but if any player in the Reds' system can do it, it's The Boss.

According to Fay, it doesn't even look like Bruce will be staying in AAA for very long this season before he goes back to AA. If he does go back to AA, I think it would be a longshot to consider him for the major leagues next season. At least to start off the season.

Jay Bruce, a 20-year-old top outfield prospect, was hitting .231 after four games for Triple-A Louisville.

"(But) he looks right at home," player development director Terry Reynolds said. "He's made adjustments. It's been pretty seamless."

The plan still is to send Bruce back to Double-A Chattanooga when Dewayne Wise (hamstring) comes off the disabled list.

"We're hoping sooner than later," Reynolds said. "Of course, his attitude is: I'll show them I belong."
    - John Fay

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Yeah, that's my thinking as well. However, if Bruce hits in AAA like he has in every other level he's played at, along with a very good Spring Training, he might force the Reds' hand to break camp with the big league team. That's a tall order for sure, but if any player in the Reds' system can do it, it's The Boss.
    I agree with you and degenerate about Bruce probably starting next year in AAA, but baring a setback the odds are very good that he'll be ready for the major leagues at some point next year.
    If I was running the Reds and I don't get blown away by an offer for Dunn or Jr then I'll wait and see where the Boss and the Reds are at the end of the season. If my front office thought that Boss would need more time in AAA in 2008 then I'd probably plan on breaking camp with Dunn, Hamilton, and Jr running the outfield. As the season would wear on you could again try trading Jr or maybe an injury will change the situation.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I want to see Bruce with the Reds as much as the next guy but I don't want him rushed. They should take their time with him and wait till something happens being a trade or injury or what have you. Personally in 2008 I want to see Dunn, Hamilton, and Griffey. I'm not sold on Hamilton's health yet or Griffey's for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mound_patrol View Post
    I'm not a big fan of trading Dunn at all. ....
    Why are so many people eager to trade Dunn? They have this notion that losing Dunn and adding some mysterious pitcher will help the Reds. Sure, if we get some guy like Jake Peavy, but you know that's not gonna happen. We're gonna get another Aaron Harang, who will be mediocre for a couple of years, and then maybe develop into a decent pitcher in year 3 or 4.

I say keep the big Texan in a Cincy uni for as many years as we can lock him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez View Post
    We're gonna get another Aaron Harang, who will be mediocre for a couple of years, and then maybe develop into a decent pitcher in year 3 or 4.
    Sign me up, I will take an Aaron Harang for Adam Dunn anyday, and Harang isn't just mediocre he is a solid top of the rotation guy and would be an exceptional #2, he is one of the most underrated pitchers in the majors. He may not have the flash you desire, but I would take a Harang for a Dunn anytime you offered.

Only problem with this theory is that there would be one less potential buyer for Dunn. Depending on how many buyers are in play it may be better to go first.

I think Bruce may get a Sept call up to see what he can do...if he tears it up in ST they have no choice but to put him on the 25 man roster to start 08

Dunn will make more money as FA then the Reds can afford to pay...its simple economics

Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Town Red View Post
    Dunn will make more money as FA then the Reds can afford to pay...its simple economics
    You could easily sign Dunn to a 4 year 60 million deal. With today's free agency market I dont see how you could replace Dunn's production over 4 years with that extra 15 million.

An outfield of Dunn, Hamilton, and Bruce looks pretty good for many years to come.

Turn Off Ads?