Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Prospect Profile: CF Justin Reed

Prospect Profile: CF Justin Reed

Justin J. Reed - GCL Reds

Position: CF
    Born: November 29, 1987
    Height: 5-11 Weight: 179 Bats: L Throws: R High School: Hillcrest Christian (Jackson,MS)
    Drafted: 2006 4th Rd (114th overall)
    2006 - 2nd Team High School All-American OF

2007 Stats (as of 7-28-07)

Considered a very good athlete coming out of high school, Justin had originally committed to playing baseball at the University of Mississippi. He now roams CF for the GCL Reds and is having a much improved 2007 season over his debut 2006 season. Definitely a prospect to watch over the next few years as he has the "tools" to play in the majors.

2006 Stats

Scout.com interview

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Prospect Profile: CF Justin Reed

Reed had a football scholarship to play at Ole Miss as well, but he said if anyone drafted him in the first 4 rounds of the baseball draft he would play baseball. The Reds did just that. Hope you dont mind that I added that in there.

Not at all Doug...I thought that was the case but I couldn't find in anywhere on the interwebs.

Bravo HBP for picking up Justin I covered him last year but due to new commitments have no time to follow closely anymore.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Reed seems to have turned the corner. I don't think he's long for the GCL.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Reed seems to have turned the corner. I don't think he's long for the GCL.
    I agree. I think something may have clicked for him. The difference between this year and last year is incredible.... as far as the numbers show anyways.

KeyMastur

reed didn't even start playing baseball til his junior or senior year of high school.... just a little 411 for ya...

Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur View Post
    reed didn't even start playing baseball til his junior or senior year of high school.... just a little 411 for ya...

Not true. He played baseball (and football) his first 3 years of high school at Callaway HS (Jackson, MS public school) and then transferred to Hillcrest Christian (private school) for his Senior year.

Chris

Uh-oh. KeyMastur was wrong. It looks like this is the beginning of the end. Shape up or ship out, KeyMastur.

KeyMastur

Quote Originally Posted by Stokes View Post
    Not true. He played baseball (and football) his first 3 years of high school at Callaway HS (Jackson, MS public school) and then transferred to Hillcrest Christian (private school) for his Senior year.

Chris
    ah..that's what it was. wasn't til high school....i knew he hadn't played before high school, just couldn't remember when he started.

Interestingly enough, his first 3 years at Jackson Callaway, Justin played catcher. When he transfered to Hillcrest he began playing CF. How is that for switching positions?

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Interestingly enough, his first 3 years at Jackson Callaway, Justin played catcher. When he transfered to Hillcrest he began playing CF. How is that for switching positions?
    The only commonality I can see between the two positions is the benefit of a rocket arm. With him being "toolsy", I wonder if they moved him to center to take advantage of his speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    The only commonality I can see between the two positions is the benefit of a rocket arm. With him being "toolsy", I wonder if they moved him to center to take advantage of his speed.
    The answer to that is "yes".....coupled with the fact that he probably shouldn't have been playing catcher in the first place at Callaway, but his coach at the time didn't think he had anyone else that could play catcher and it was important enough to put Justin there.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Stokes View Post
    The answer to that is "yes".....coupled with the fact that he probably shouldn't have been playing catcher in the first place at Callaway, but his coach at the time didn't think he had anyone else that could play catcher and it was important enough to put Justin there.

Chris
    Thanks for the information.

Justin Reed was promoted to Billings where he hit a PH 2-run HR tonight in his only atbat.

Turn Off Ads?