Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wal-Mart, Target, or Kmart?

Wal-Mart, Target, or Kmart?

I work for a national brand name underwear company, and there are always conversations around here picking apart the customer demographics of the 'Big 3' retailers. Sometimes I get amused by how much scrutiny goes into determining what type of person shops where based on income, age, race, geography, etc.

Personally, I do shop at all three and I don't believe it is all that scientific. I do prefer Target for items such as clothing and home essentials (bedding, towels, decor, ectc). Our Target store is also cleaner and easier to access than our WalMart. However, I do all of my grocery shopping at Walmart and tend to go there for basic things such as toiletries and medications. I do despise going there because of the hassle of the traffic and waiting in the long checkout lines, but the lower prices outweigh the hassle at times. I would have to say that I shop at Kmart the least amount of all. I go in there when I am in a hurry (it is closer to my work and home than the other two) and only need a few things. I can also find good deals on baby items there at times.

I guess the point I'm trying to make it that so much emphasis is put on trying to categorize people and create profiles of consumers. But, sometimes I think it has more to do with specific circumstances and not how much money you make or what race you are, etc. Where do you shop?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wal-Mart, Target, or Kmart?

I have both a Wal Mart and a target in my neighborhood. The Target is farther away from the Wal Mart but I usually try to shop at Target when I can. I'm not a big Wal Mart fan. And, as the Babbit brothers said in Rainman, K Mart sucks.

That said I saw yesterday where Wal Mart is really cutting prices now when back to school shopping is beginning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

There's no Kmart here, but I have a Super Target, Target and a WalMart Supercenter within in easy drive of my house. There are a few grocery items that the Targets carry which I can't find at WalMart and vice-versa, so I find I shop at both of them. Costco is also a regular shopping haunt for me, since it's next to the WalMart Supercenter.

Nonetheless, I tend to be streaky with my shopping. I make more trips to Target in some months and WalMart in others. Costco is the most likely to get fewer visits when I'm busy, because it requires the most time and planning for a trip.

We also do not have a KMart in the area. It closed 5 years ago or so and no others popped up in the area.

I prefer shopping at Target for: kids clothes, household goods, kids games, electronics (audio, video games), bikes for kids, lawn and garden, and Slushies.

Really the only time I'll go to a Wal-Mart is if I need audio/video accessories, or some cheap electronics for the kids. Otherwise, I don't buy anything there.

Usually, I'll go to a "specialty" store if I can and I buy all of my groceries at a grocery store. I don't buy groceries at Super Wal-Mart. So, I'll go to Best Buy, Circuit City, etc to buy computers, electronics, etc for myself. Target and Wal-Mart are more for my kids, who don't need top of the line stuff because they'll either abuse it, or out grow it.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I haven't been in a KMart for years basically due to traumatic experiences combined with unfamiliarity. I avoid WalMart like the plague because of the people who shop there (no offense). Target's not a bad place to walk around in, but I'm never tempted to buy anything there.

Wal-Mart gets the bulk of my shopping for toiletries, canned/boxed groceries, baby items, and cheap knickknacks. I buy all my meat at local grocery stores -- the quality is much better there than at Wal-Mart.

I go to Target occasionally, but never for groceries.

K-Mart is bottom-rung.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Piqua has not been Targetted, so that is out. K-Mart is across town - and really does not impress me.
    Wally World, on the other hand, is next to where I work, so I do grab the essentials from there. Fortunately, I work overnights, so I am able to shop and get out quickly before the rest of the town wakes up. The essentials include food, health and beauty, and work cloths.
    The local grocery is out. It really is not the cleanest place - and, unfortunately, the selection comes nowhere near close to Wal-Mart.

I'll use whichever has what I want and is most convenient. For me that is Target. Our KMARTs uphere are either closing or just plain not up to the stocking and organizational standards of the other 2. However, besides the true commodity items (either consumables or other stuff that is the same no matter where you buy it such as staplers, cameras, vacuums), I despise getting the home decor type stuff from any of these places. Then you can walk into your friend's house and see the exact same thing.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

I'll shop at Target, but I refuse to enter Wal-Mart. My wife goes there (and will buy odds-and-ends...honestly, a lot of their household items are much cheaper than other stores) but it's just one of those things for me. I can't bring myself to give a buck to that place.

We recently had a Wal-Mart built in our area and it is precisely because of the strong-arm zoning tactics they used, we don't shop there any more.

Costco gets more of our business these days in place of Wal-Mart. I like Costco.

My wife and daughters go to Target for some clothes. Also shampoo, conditioner, makeup, and other assorted female stuff. But we mostly clothes shop at Kohl's.

There is a KMart in Blue Ash but I haven't been there is years. I have no idea what they sell any more.

Grocery shop at Kroger, Biggs, and Wild Oats. Biggs probably gets less of our business because they've tried to upscale their stores which (IMO) took them away from their sweetspot of low costs. Wild Oats because my daughter works there and we get a 20% discount which brings it down to regular grocery store prices.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

For commodity items, I don't mind dropping in on Wal-Mart if it's on the way, since the prices are usually a little better. Otherwise, it's Target. Better items, better selection, better store layout, better looking females working and shopping there (oops, did I say that out loud?), it's just better. As for Kmart, it's pretty much dead around here.

I don't shop at any of the three for food, rare exceptions aside. We usually stick to Kroger, with an occasional venture to Publix.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Target is our first choice because of their product selection and overall look of the store. A new Super Walmart opened near us and we'll go there for certain things (groceries, toiletries) because of the price.

None of the above.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I'll shop at Target from time to time and as Roy mentioned, Costco as well. I won't shop at Walmart and Kmart has really fallen in qulaity in the last 15 years so I'd say no to that too but for different reasons than Walmart.
    School's out. What did you expect?

We live in a rural area.There is a Wal-Mart in Wayne which we shop at frequently, and I'm okay with it, since it is only of medium size, is fairly easy to get around in, and employs some people I know---although I still prefer our local independent supermarket for most grocery items. Otherwise, I'm not that fond of Wal-Marts. The Wal-Marts in Huntington are too big, too hard to get around it, and, other than electronics/DVDs/CDs, sell little that I am interested in.
    I've never cared for Target, period. The few things that I would cosider purchasing at Target are usually available, for less money, at Wal-Mart. I've found the assertions that Target offers better quality, or is a "better" corporation, than Wal-Mart to be laughable.
    As much as I dislike Wal-Mart and Target, either is better than K-Mart---although in fairness it has been years since I was in a K-Mart.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?