Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Re: TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

We played outside because:

1) We didn't have air conditioning so inside/outside didn't matter
    2) We didn't have video games, so inside/outside didn't matter
    3) Our parents didn't have 24 Hour news stations on the tube to scare the bejesus out of them and force all the kids inside.
    4) in 1970ish if you got into a bit of trouble it was "Boys being boys", in 2000ish we have zero tolerance for anything.

GL

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post

Used to walk across train trestles.
    One of my oldest buddies brother died when he was electrocuted at age 12 whilst playing on the switch box near the tracks in Terrace Park. His photo still hangs on the wall at his moms house, forever 12.

Concerning hitchhiking, I also know a guy whose brother died in a car wreck whilst hitching a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Used to walk across train trestles.
    I almost fell into the Little Miami in the dead of winter when the river was almost frozen over while I was walking across the train bridge between Mariemont and Newtown. Slipped and slid under the railing and caught myself at the last minute.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I know a kid who died in his sleep in english class... let's ban reading!!
    I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing the cause of death wasn't reading.

I fell off a cliff and broke my hip, shoulder, and wrist when I was in 9th grade.

The best thing about back then was now commercials about Cell Phones or ED.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The best thing about back then was now commercials about Cell Phones or ED.

<hot button>
    I agree, nothing like turning on the 7PM Reds game with my 5 year old daughter by my side, and the first thing blaring out of the bloody TV was some guy seemingly shouting about "erections lasting longer than 4 hours" and "risk of decrease in semen production". I mean, for God's sake can I not at least watch at least the early part of a baseball game without these commercials?!?!? I mean, my daughter has been picking up on everything for about 2 years now - this stuff does not go unquestioned and it is a pain in the butt to come up with answers for all this stuff when you just wanted to finally sit down and watch a freakin' baseball game after working 12 hours. It's not like I wanted to watch Howard Stern with her or anything!!!! This is also why I privately applaud Grande's stance on not saying the complete title in the Best Sports Show. It's not a horrid word or anything, and my daughter may hear it occasionally by accident around home anyway. BUT it would be nice to not have it basically yelled at her (as they down with the Best Darn TOugh Man " add ) during an innocent baseball game. It's certainly all in my control and responsibility to guide what she watches or at least equip het to handle it, but it seems as though I should be able to simply just watch a baseball game with her without that unnecessary stuff.
    <hot button off>
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

Thanks for reminding me why I'm not a Democrat.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Thanks for reminding me why I'm not a Democrat.
    what's that got to do with anything?

Great! Now this thread is gettin' closed.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    When I was around seven I lived in a neighborhood in Detroit and there were (I'm not kidding) between 28-40 kids within a single block. My mom would let us out the door and to get us back she would ring a cowbell. We would play in the woods or any of the numerous homes being built. There was never *nothing* to do, ever....
    Same here - our street was called "Incubator Court" because most homes had at least 3 kids - I just added them up...38 kids. My Dad and another Dad were police officers and would get barricades to put at the top of the court. We'd have block parties in the summer - someone would bring out a hi-fi with the 45s, older kids would dance, younger kids would play tag or hide 'n seek. There was Kool-aid and cookies (no pop!). Every house had a porch and parents would sit around and talk.

You could walk at night in the summer in the subdivision and hear Al & Joe/Marty & Joe on the radio - or Sunday nights hear Ed Sullivan.

The school system in Hamilton sponsored playground camps that would keep kids busy with crafts, games and trips to the community pool.

Didn't wear a seat belts growing up. Going to Kentucky each summer my little sister was seated in-between Mom and Dad (no individual seats in the old cars). Older kids would be in the back. My second oldest sister always wanted to sleep - so we'd put pillows and an air mattress on the floor. Me and my other sister would then put our feet on her. My Dad would go over 80mph after Crittenden on I-75 and then before the parkway was built into SE KY he would take the curvy mountain roads at high rate of speed - we were jostled around like the crew on Star Trek!
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I had this bike.

Note the placement of the gear shift.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Same here - our street was called "Incubator Court" because most homes had at least 3 kids - I just added them up...38 kids.

Even though the internet and video games get the rap, I think a lot of the changes to kids behavior, like less outside play, can be traced to sparser kid densities.

Who remembers ripping off their pop-top and dropping it into the can?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Even though the internet and video games get the rap, I think a lot of the changes to kids behavior, like less outside play, can be traced to sparser kid densities.
    perhaps. in the south the change in adult's lifestyle has often been attributed to air conditioning and garage door openers. living myself in an area where very few folks have a/c, I know it leads to many more people being outside in the evenings and makes for a much more lively neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post

Who remembers ripping off their pop-top and dropping it into the can?
    I do.

I think there's a distinct difference between some of these things. I bemoan the loss of kids playing outside, but I'm pretty happy they no longer pile into cars without seatbelts and are forced to wear "dorky" helmets. I'd be all for parents forcing their kids to go without air conditioning or DVD players for a summer to show them they don't really need it, but I don't see the problem with taking the precaution of a childproof medicine bottle. My mother smoked two packs a day the entire time she was pregnant with me and I'm right as rain, but it's not a risk I'd take if I were pregnant, and if my doctor suggested I get tested for diabetes, I'd see no reason to scoff at the advice.

I'm for nostalgia within reason, I guess, but I think sometimes it interferes with people's common sense.

(This is mostly referring to the original post, by the way.)
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?