Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

Re: TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Instead of learning about the birds and bees from ED commercials, we either learned about it by discovering the stash of nudie mags in the nearby woods ....
    In one of many forts or treehouses you built out there!
    Pots and Kettles

2. Turn Off Ads?

I used to hitch-hike all over the place. Went to Legion ball practice 25 miles away every day and never had a problem.

We used to play army with fireworks, whenever someone came back from South Carolina with a load. Shot bottle rockets at one another, threw M-80's like grenades.

Did the same thing as you, TC, with the sled. If you didn't hop off at the end, or hit a tree, into the river you went.

Left the house on a bike with my glove over the handlebar and a bat over my shoulder. Came home for lunch, then back to "the lot" all day to play catch, pickle, pepper, hang out and shoot hoops, whatever. Never bored, always doing something outdoors.

3 channels of TV with terrible reception. No video games, no vcr, no problem. Pick up a book and read. Play chess. Play Monopoly.

Once we saw a soccer match on Wide World of Sports and thought that would be cool to play. So, everyone at "the lot" ran home and came back with their most dangerous shoes. Baseball players came back with spikes. A couple of 30 year old coal miners came back with steel-toe boots. We only had a basketball, so that was what we used.

The game lasted about 20 minutes. Nobody had a clue. Whenever you got the ball, everyone else descended on you and pretty much kicked you until the ball popped out, and another victim got the same treatment. Finally, an older guy got a clean shot on goal, about 15 feet away from the clueless goalie, and nailed him right in the face with a very hard shot. Blood flew from his busted nose and we decided that this game was freakin' dangerous.

That was it for soccer. We went back to rock fights.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I maintain that the single greatest difference between my childhood and the ones even a half-generation back was the advent of the VCR.

When I was little (very little), there were exactly three shows to watch on television every day: Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers and the Electric Company. On Saturday mornings the Smurfs were on for like three or four hours. Sunday night was Silver Spoons and Punky Brewster. Apart from the occasional sports event, that was the absolute maximum -- MAXIMUM -- that I could be in front of the TV all day, of my own volition. The limits put on me were often less. But I myself was not at all interested in being in front of the television more than two hours a day, because there was simply nothing for me to watch.

When the VCR came along, not only did children have hours and hours of potential TV watching at their fingertips, they could do it whenever they wanted. Mid-morning. Mid-afternoon. Bedtime. They all had a huge selection of movies from which to choose, and they didn't have to wait until 4 pm to choose them. I think it has given kids -- many otherwise completely unspoiled -- a entirely different outlook on choices and immediate gratification. I really think it's made a huge difference.

People who roll their eyes at those who say "TV is bad!!!" aren't realizing something, I think: it isn't that TV or its content is bad, it's the way kids have TV these days that affects them. It's whatever and whenever they want. I babysat three siblings who had no television in the house, and they were by no means perfect children, but there was a serious difference in the way they were able to amuse themselves compared to other kids. If they didn't get what they wanted, they'd go find something else instead. Kids with a library of videos, and no limits placed on when they watch them, sometimes don't even develop that ability, I think.

I remember watching Captain Kangaroo when I was little, that was quality TV. It was about the only show I was allowed to watch by myself.

Many of you have mentioned playing ball will all the kids in the neighborhood. One of the things we did in the winter was play hockey on the local river. It seemed like we had to shovel the skating area off every day. We would play all day, go home for supper, and then return after. The older kids would make a fire so everyone could see. That river has probably not been shoveled for 20 years.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    My mom had one made of Bud cans.

Even at age 4, I knew it was utterly ludicrous.
    I totally forgot about those. Ludicrous?!?! Those things rock!

GL

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Just the neighbors picture window
    Been there. Me and another neoghborhood kid were shooting BB guns and knocked out a double pane picture window across the street. My Dad had to pay for the window.... and then I paid with a pound of flesh!
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and No ONE actually died from this.
    We rarely saw pop in our house. Raised on Kool-aid. Pop was a luxury whenever Mom made pizzas.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.
    In the summer, Mom saw us at breakfast, lunch, and then supper (we had better be home for supper when Dad got home).

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
    We, as well as the rest of the neighborhood kids, built some awesome ones. Constructed from all the wood we could gather in our garage (and everyone elses). We didn't need brakes. The hill in front of the house was long enough to coast to a stop. And if a car was coming at you, you turned into the neighbor's front yard.

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.
    Not much as a kid....but alot as an adult.

There was three of us honery boys. I am the oldest. We loved to have dirt clod fights. It's a wonder none of us was maimed badly. We also liked having cow patty fights too at the local farm. Just make sure they were solid enough.

We spent alot of time at the local park playing pickup games of baseball. That is what amazes me about today's youth. They join Little League and really have no concept/grasp of the game going in. We already had the game down by the time we could enter Little League.

And how about them stingray bikes with the banana seat and monkey bars!

Does anyone remember the old Schwinn bikes called Orange Krate and Apple Krate?

The stingray bike was the forerunner to the BMX bikes. I wore mine out. We use to have wheelie contests in the neighborhood to see how far one could ride one. We'd be out there with chalk, marking the distance. I got to the point where I could ride one all the way down the street.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-19-2007 at 09:40 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I remember watching Captain Kangaroo when I was little, that was quality TV. It was about the only show I was allowed to watch by myself.
    The greatest show ever!!!

Does anyone remember the old Schwinn bikes called Orange Krate and Apple Krate?
    I had a Pea Picker, it was green and got stolen... I didn't get a new bike for a year.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    I totally forgot about those. Ludicrous?!?! Those things rock!

[/U]

GL
    Ugh.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hand-MADE-Croche...QQcmdZViewItem
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    We went to the Holiday on the west side of Hamilton (it's still operational). Remember seeing the two movies of 101 Dalmations and Goldfinger... well I remembered Goldfinger up until Bond sees Shirley Eaton painted in gold.
    Theres a drive in still in operation on Ohio Pike toward Amelia or Bethel. Starlight I believe. Took my daughter there to see MIB 2 and something else, so she would at least know what a great piece of Americana the Drive-In moves were.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

We rarely saw pop in our house. Raised on Kool-aid. Pop was a luxury whenever Mom made pizzas.
    We only got pop during these times... going to the grandparents house in town (Coke and Barq's Red Creme) but not when my parents were there; annual family summer picnic at Hueston Woods; and Christmas.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 15-11
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75 View Post
    Theres a drive in still in operation on Ohio Pike toward Amelia or Bethel. Starlight I believe. Took my daughter there to see MIB 2 and something else, so she would at least know what a great piece of Americana the Drive-In moves were.
    http://www.holidayautotheatre.com/
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 15-11
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Pop was an extreme rarity when I was a kid, served only at restaurants - and that was when they didn't have lemonade.
    Candy bars were rare, as well. Once a year, Gold Circle would run a sale: 12 candy bars for a buck. We got our fill then. Oh, and Easter and Trick Or Treat.
    Air conditioning? My parents still don't have that - open windows and fans.
    We finally got a color TV in 1980 - I was 12. We got a VCR in 1982. Cable was something I never saw until I got my own place.

Our toys were also made of metal, not plastic. The big Tonka trucks I had rusted quickly (especially in the sand) - but we played with them. The swingset was a rust set after a year - but we still always used it. Oh, and the chains were not wrapped in plastic.
    We played with Hot Wheels - we didn't collect them in packages.
    We bought our baseball cards because we loved baseball - not because so-and-so's rookie card is worth X amount of dollars.

Who else from the '70s remember sitting in their car for what seemed like hours in a line in the street, waiting for gasoline - and thinking it had been like that forever, and it would be like that forever?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    If we were on a long car trip and my older brother wanted to sleep in the back seat, I was relegated to laying down in the rear window area of the car.

My parents would have been charged with child endangerment many times over.
    Our thing was the "wells" behind our parents seats. My parents had a Monte Carlo in the late 70's. Whenever we went on long road trips my sister would take her 1/2 sized pillow and climb down and sleep in the "well" behind my Mom's seat and I'd take my 1/2 sized pillow and sleep behind my Dad's seat. When we were curled up in a fetal position, it was actually quite comfortable.

Another memorable traveling experience. My Dad had an old '83 Chevy Suburban to tow our boat. He bought it used, just to tow the boat, but drove it in the winter sometimes. The hightlight was sitting in the "way" back (by the tailgate) and looking through the rusted out hole in the back. You could stare straight down and see the street. It was even better if you put your eye right in the hole to look down. We probably did that 10,000 times and neither of us lost an eye, or got hurt driving while not being secured in to a child seat. I think the worst injury was when my sister was thrown into the tailgate when my Dad punched the huge engine in that thing and it sent her backwards. Just a bruise, though.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I guess my family was a rarity -- our fridge was always stocked with Coke and Pepsi in 12 oz. glass bottles.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I guess my family was a rarity -- our fridge was always stocked with Coke and Pepsi in 12 oz. glass bottles.
    IF we were lucky this guy was in our house, my parents don't drink soda.

or this

Turn Off Ads?