Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adam Dunn projected as 5th best free agent for 08.

Adam Dunn projected as 5th best free agent for 08.

Top free agents class of 2008
    Yahoo
    5) Adam Dunn, LF/1B, Cincinnati, 28: When Dunn on this list because he's a free agent if he gets traded, and the Reds would benefit from what he could bring in return reaches 40 home runs, he will become the eighth player to have four consecutive 40-home seasons in his 20s. The others: Ralph Kiner, Duke Snider, Ernie Banks, Harmon Killebrew, Ken Griffey Jr., Alex Rodriguez and Albert Pujols. Seven Hall of Famers. Not to say Dunn will join them in Cooperstown. Just that his power is rare and more than makes up for his contact and defensive deficiencies.
    Projected contract: five years, $75 million

Article here: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Would you do 5 for 75 for Dunn?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Adam Dunn projected as 5th best free agent for 08.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Would you do 5 for 75 for Dunn?
    caveat: I like what Dunn brings to the Reds.

My hesitation is never as much the $$/year as it is the number of years.

I am fine with a 4 year deal(preference would be 3), which would end after his age 31 season. Going beyond that would make me uncomfortable.

BTW, if you look at the ages and the projected contracts in the article, I think it is safe to say that Dunn @ 4 years for $60M would be a bargain by comparison.

I guess one of the most important factors moving forward for the Reds is accurately forecasting the marketplace.
    Last edited by flyer85; 07-17-2007 at 03:23 PM.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

No way would I give that contract to Dunn. Not that I don't like Dunn, I just don't think he is worth that kind of money (of course I also don't think a lot of players making that type of money are worth it either).

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    No way would I give that contract to Dunn. Not that I don't like Dunn, I just don't think he is worth that kind of money (of course I also don't think a lot of players making that type of money are worth it either).
    Thats the thing Doug, compared to what Dunn makes he is worth that kind of money. He sure does have is flaws but his age combined with production can warrant a deal in that range. The scary thing is that ARod is going to be making about twice of what Dunn makes. Heck the Marlins probably could make the playoffs and win a world series at that payroll the way the develop players.

If I'm Krivsky, the absolute most I would offer Dunn is a 4-year $55 million deal. If he takes it great, if he doesn't, I'm working the phones. I think offering him any more money (or any more years) would be something that I'd regret later.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I think offering him any more money (or any more years) would be something that I'd regret later.
    it almost never as much the $$ as the years.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Looking at that list, I wouldn't mind seeing the Reds take a flyer on Kerry Wood for next year, provided he'd come very cheap. It could be look a low-risk high reward move in a similar mold to Phillips and Hamilton- a Krivksy special.
    Go BLUE!!!

Check out A-Rod's projected contract in that article.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Looking at that list, I wouldn't mind seeing the Reds take a flyer on Kerry Wood for next year, provided he'd come very cheap. It could be look a low-risk high reward move in a similar mold to Phillips and Hamilton- a Krivksy special.
    Stick him in the bullpen and see what he can do. What's the worst that could happen? (Don't answer that.)
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I know we dont have the money and attitude may be a problem, but damn I wish we could get Zambrano this offseason. Im sure he would love to stay in the Division he's dominated and get back at the Cubs. DO IT BOB!
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

That list tells me what you see on the Reds this year, we better get used to them.

7 years $140 MM? no thanks
    Go BLUE!!!

Maybe it's because I'm familiar with Dunn (and like him), but I would give him 5 years at $15 million per. No question, I probably rate the Reds players a little higher, just because they are Reds. I would not, for example, want to trade Dunn straight up for Carlos Lee, even if they are very similar production-wise.
    Win some, lose some, some get rained out.

Unless the Reds plan to increase payroll to nearly $100mill they can't afford to pay Dunn $15mill/yr. That's not to say he's not worth it. He's just not worth it to this size market. Peter Gammons said recently that no World Series winner has ever had a player eat up more than 13% of its payroll and I don't think that's a coincidence. With money tied up in Arroyo, Harang and likely Brandon Phillips in the coming years, we can't afford to pay Dunn after next year.

Has anyone ever done a study that averages out how much, say, the average win share (or some such metric that measures player value) costs?

I know it would have to take in to account raises, inflation and whatnot but I'd be interested in seeing a list like that.

BTW, I'd pay Dunn 5/$75mm...it'd be Monopoly money, but I'd do it.

Turn Off Ads?