Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 07-17-2007 Minor League Updates

High five!

Re: 07-17-2007 Minor League Updates

Bray Ks the only guy he faces. 6-1 Durham, with the Louisville coming to bat in the bottom of the 6th.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Actually, I think his problem now is that he fades after about five innings. I saw it with the Reds -- even in his good games, Bailey weakened later on in the games. He hasn't had a lot of longer outings in his brief career -- another sign that he needs more seasoning.

I doubt that his confidence is shot. He seems like a competitive, confident young pitcher. But he is too young to be a successful major league pitcher right now, needs some work, and should get it at AAA.
    I don't agree. Homer had a tendency to get stronger as the game goes on. He is melting when the oppo gets a break, like the error. The dude is shellshocked.

Stubbs is 1-for-1 with a double and his organizational leading 53rd walk.

Homer only gave up 2 earned runs. Machado's error didn't help.

High five!

He didn't look dominating at all. He had a couple of brilliant pitches but seemed very erratic. He threw one away on a pickoff move and the defense muffed an easy play which kind of lead to his undoing in the 6th.

On the bright side, I think he improved on his last AAA start!

Parker just hit his 2nd 3 run homer of the inning. Dragons 11-3. That is their 4th homer in the inning.

Votto then turns around and walks for the 53rd time, tieing him with Stubbs.

If Bailey's confidence is shot b/c he hit a rough stretch in his first trip to the majors (which I don't think is true) then he was never going to be any good in the majors anyway. It's ridiculous IMO to assert that the Reds mishandling him ruined him mentally. It is, however, quite possible that his arm may have been hurt and if so I believe that would be fair to blame on the Reds.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    If Bailey's confidence is shot b/c he hit a rough stretch in his first trip to the majors (which I don't think is true) then he was never going to be any good in the majors anyway. It's ridiculous IMO to assert that the Reds mishandling him ruined him mentally. It is, however, quite possible that his arm may have been hurt and if so I believe that would be fair to blame on the Reds.
    It is more than that. He wasn't nearly ready. Yet, they still called him up. As been mentioned, I don't see a injury. Just a exposed green pitcher in AAA that needs confidence in his stuff. He didn't have nearly enough. If he did, he would be beating these guys up.

So your saying because he had 3 out of 6 bad starts in the majors and he's had 2 less than stellar starts in AAA he's going to be a bigger dissapointment than Stubbs and his confidence is shot? He's 21, as soon as he can throw his curve and change for strikes he will be fine. He can't do that consistanly yet, most successful pitchers couldn't do that at age 21 either.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Homer's final line:

5.2 IP / 4 H / 5 R / 2 ER / 3 BB / 4 SO / 1 HR
    what to make of that???

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Town Red View Post
    what to make of that???
    Well, I thought he looked inconsistent. It _did_ seem like he was working on a lot of breaking pitches and he had a few curveballs that were total knee-benders. He also had some nice-looking breaking pitches that had bad location. Then he had some that were in the dirt.

The only velocity reading I heard all night was 94.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Well, I thought he looked inconsistent. It _did_ seem like he was working on a lot of breaking pitches and he had a few curveballs that were total knee-benders. He also had some nice-looking breaking pitches that had bad location. Then he had some that were in the dirt.

The only velocity reading I heard all night was 94.
    So were the reports of 98 and 97 last year just exaggerations or has Homer lost 3-4 MPH on his fastball?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Thank you. People love to give prospect built in excuses. Homer needs to buck up and listen to his coaches instead of always having to do things his own way. He did it in Dayton and he tried to do it with the Reds when he had a bad outing and then later said "he" had found a small mechanical flaw. Homer has great talent but until he learns how to pitch he will be just a 5 inning pitcher and then runs out of gas because he had thrown to many pitches.

Stubbs is 2-3, with 2 doubles, and a walk.

The hot streak continues. Nice to see some extra base hits coming in.

Turn Off Ads?