Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Which prospects will truly help Reds in '08 or '09?

Which prospects will truly help Reds in '08 or '09?

Focusing on the high minors, which prospects are there who you can envision truly helping the Reds in the next couple of seasons? I'm not talking A ball guys who could possibly help, and I'm also excluding guys who may get a "cup of coffee" or help marginally.

Bailey
    Bruce
    Votto
    Cueto

then, possibly

Dumatrait
    Pelland
    Roenicke

That's all I can think of.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Which prospects will truly help Reds in '08 or '09?

The big 4 obviously. Although I would be willing to wager that a nice combo of these guys get some time with the Reds that are more than a cup of coffee over the next two years that you didn't mention.

Marcus McBeth
    Calvin Medlock
    Rick Asadoorian
    Richie Gardner
    Carlos Fisher

Hitting wise.... its a little more difficult. The Reds seem pretty well off on that side of the ball, so barring injuries odds are we won't see an infielder or outfielder break into the starting line up with guys like Bruce, Hamilton and one of either Griffey or Dunn for at least 2008, Phillips, Edwin, Votto and Gonzo. I just don't see the same type of opening for positional players that I do for pitchers of any kind.

Agree on Asadoorian. Probably McBeth will get another shot, hopefully better than the last time.

Not sure Reds will give Medlock the shot, have advanced him slowly.

As for Fisher and Gardner, I hope you are right. Only 5 starting spots though, and they seem to be starters. Unsure how things will pan out with them.

Bruce, Bailey, Cueto and Votto should all obviously be serious contributors to the Reds over the next two years. Gardner, Fisher and Dumatrait seem more of spot starters in the Livingston/Ramirez mold than anything. Salmon, Medlock, Roenicke, and McBeth should all get a chance to be bullpen regulars. Guevara and Pelland will most likely get cups of coffee during that time as well.

If I had to rate them based off of impact on the major league team over the next two years, it would looks something like this:

1. Bruce
    2. Votto
    3. Bailey
    4. Cueto
    5. McBeth
    6. Salmon
    7. Dumatrait
    8. Gardner
    9. Fisher
    10. Roenicke
    (tie) Medlock
    Last edited by Benihana; 07-17-2007 at 02:49 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

I guess my point here is that there are essentially 4 guys in AA and AAA who fans can expect to really help in the next two years. (Personally, I think Roenicke has a very strong chance as well, but not everyone ranks him so high.)

Beyond that, I don't think Reds fans can expect anyone to help materially. Some will undoubtedly get shots, some will surprise perhaps, but which ones can we expect to help? I think it's 4.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-17-2007 at 04:11 PM.

Is that good or bad that they have four guys who should have a huge impact on the big league club. Those four guys are ranked in the Top 40 in all of baseball on most lists. Only the Tampa Bay Devil Rays orginization can say the same thing.

I hope that they give Guevara a call-up in September this year as I think he really could be a usefull arm out of the pen.

You also have to factor in the number of young players on the Reds right now...
    Hamilton, Encarnacion, Phillips, Dunn(though he probably won't be around.) Even Ross is younger than 30.
    As far as pitchers you have Coffee, Coutlangus, Livingston, Burton, Belisle, and others i'm forgetting. So if Bruce, Votto, Bailey and Cueto all live up to what is expected, you have the basis for a pretty good team that you can fill in holes with veterans.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

In addition to the big 4, I think the bullpen is the open question. There are a lot of candidates in the high minors. You could see a few making good at Cincy. Other than guys actually on the Reds roster now, I'm sure the following will get attention:

McBeth
    Roenicke
    Pelland
    Guevera
    Salmon
    Medlock

I think Pelland and Roenicke are the hard throwing type the Reds are now looking for. Certainly none on this list is a sureshot. But hopefully one or two will work out. They all should be ready very soon or within the next year.

Dumatrait, Gardner, and Fisher are names that could be added to this list; not sure they will be starters for the Reds, but could be middle relievers.

Senor Votto

2009 I think the Reds will make a run for the divison. I'm thinking the team will look like this or some what like it.

Catcher- Ross?
    1st- Votto
    2nd- Phillips
    SS- ?
    3rd- EE
    LF- Dunn
    CF- Bruce
    RF- Hamilton

Starting Ro
    1- Harang
    2- Arroyo
    3- Bailey
    4- Cueto?
    5- Livingston

A sample size of the Bullpen:
    McBeth
    Medlock
    Burton?
    Coffey
    Salmon
    Dumatrait?
    Closer- Bill Bray

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    2009 I think the Reds will make a run for the divison. I'm thinking the team will look like this or some what like it.

Catcher- Ross?
    1st- Votto
    2nd- Phillips
    SS- ?
    3rd- EE
    LF- Dunn
    CF- Bruce
    RF- Hamilton

Starting Ro
    1- Harang
    2- Arroyo
    3- Bailey
    4- Cueto?
    5- Livingston

A sample size of the Bullpen:
    McBeth
    Medlock
    Burton?
    Coffey
    Salmon
    Dumatrait?
    Closer- Bill Bray
    maybe Todd Freazier at SS... too soon who knows

I don't really see them as long-term starters, but since not many have mentioned position players (and since you included 2009) I'll add Rosales, Dickerson and Tatum as three who could help add bench depth.

thorn

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I don't really see them as long-term starters, but since not many have mentioned position players (and since you included 2009) I'll add Rosales, Dickerson and Tatum as three who could help add bench depth.
    Add Hanigan to the list, but I agree with the 3 above.

I would guess we would see Janish by 08 or 09 as a september call up. I am also going to venture out and say we may see a guy like Valakia, Fraizer, Soto, or Stubbs make a push for a september call up in 09.

Whoever we get for Dunn and/or Griffey for sure.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Turn Off Ads?