Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keppinger

Keppinger

I know its early but I like what I have seen out of him. He hits the ball and hits the ball hard. He can play multiple infield positions and to be honest I think in the eyes of the reds has made Edwin expendable. I know this is kind of a snap judgement but I think a bat like Keppinger is something that this reds lineup sorely needs. With the exception of Hatty/Conine there isn't a player in the lineup who doesn't strike out at a high rate. For a long time I was hoping the reds would bring in someone who puts the bat on the ball more often than not.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Keppinger

This just reemphasizes the mistake that was the Alex Gonzalez deal...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Not saying the Gonzalez deal was not a mistake, but Kepplinger is no way an every day shortstop. It's too early to tell, but he probably can be a serviceable utility guy - which is more than I can say for Castro.

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    Not saying the Gonzalez deal was not a mistake, but Kepplinger is no way an every day shortstop. It's too early to tell, but he probably can be a serviceable utility guy - which is more than I can say for Castro.
    I think RMR thinks that Keppinger would have been a servicable 2b'er sliding Phillips to SS.

In fact, PeteyMac referenced that he didn't want to "shock" Phillips by tossing him over there, but would not rule out the possibility of him doing that this year sometime. So, obviously, Narron was behind signing Gonzo.

Worse thing Keppinger could be is Ron Oester.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

That's exactly what I'm thinking Heath. Gonzalez's gold glove days are behind him and we're all seeing exactly what his bat looks like.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Let's not forget what Gonzo is going through off the field. He may not be the second coming, but he's got a lot on his plate as well.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    I think RMR thinks that Keppinger would have been a servicable 2b'er sliding Phillips to SS.

In fact, PeteyMac referenced that he didn't want to "shock" Phillips by tossing him over there, but would not rule out the possibility of him doing that this year sometime. So, obviously, Narron was behind signing Gonzo.

Worse thing Keppinger could be is Ron Oester.
    I don't buy it.

If Narron was behind signing Gonzalez then I don't understand the role of the general manager. Gonzalez was signed because the organization as a whole did not believe Phillips was an everyday shortstop, at least not on a team that values defense up the middle. I don't see how Kepp changes that at all. Besides, Mac saying that he wouldn't rule out using Brandon as SS is not anywhere near the same thing as endorsing a position switch.

Keppinger will be lucky to have a career as a utility player. Saying the worst he could be is Oester is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. As far as I can tell Keppinger has never even gotten 500 ABs in any minor league season.

Gonzalez was signed because the organization as a whole did not believe Phillips was an everyday shortstop, at least not on a team that values defense up the middle.
    Yep, and they didn't think Phillips was as good at SS as he is at 2nd... making him the 10 millionth player to be moved off the position in the history of the game, and just because they moved him off it doesn't mean he was a star there nor that the Reds brass has a head full of dirt either.

It means that Brandon Phillips is now a 2nd basemen, and evidently conspiracy theories rule the day.

Per John Fay.

And, yes, Jeff Keppinger will be in the lineup somewhere for the series finale tomorrow.

Keppinger looks like a second baseman, although I know very little about his fielding proficiency. I have always heard that he would hit.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Keppinger looks like a second baseman, although I know very little about his fielding proficiency. I have always heard that he would hit.
    http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

Mackanin was asked if he thought about playing Phillips at short and putting Keppinger at second. Basically he said Phillips has been playing so well at second, he doesn't want to have two guy uncomfortable. But he thought about it and would discuss it.

I think you'd be more likely to see that if Gonzalez were out for any extended period of time.

Also, talked to Kepp, he said he's played some shortstop in Louisville this season, but mostly in late-inning situations after a double switch.

Keppinger seems like a RH Todd Walker to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    That's exactly what I'm thinking Heath. Gonzalez's gold glove days are behind him and we're all seeing exactly what his bat looks like.
    I dunno, its not much different than I expected:

2007: .251/.297/.444/ 87 OPS+
    Career: .246/.292/.396 79 OPS+

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Keppinger seems like a RH Todd Walker to me.
    Or maybe Jeff Blauser lite.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    The majority of his big league games have been at 2nd with few at 3rd and a handful at 1st and in the outfield.

Last night was his first game at SS in the bigs.

Turn Off Ads?