Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Braves interested in Arroyo

Braves interested in Arroyo

I don't have access to ESPN Insider and Buster Olney's blog but on redreporter and Trent's blog posters have said that Olney said the Braves are interested in Bronson and that the Reds would probably demand Saltamacchia in a trade. Can anyone with Insider access give us the scoop?
    From the ORG...

Would anyone do this trade? I really don't know if I would or not. Salty could be the Reds future catcher. But we need Arroyo in the rotation regardless of the year he's having.
    Most Vottomatic Player

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Braves interested in Arroyo

There probably isn't a player on the Reds (witht he exception of Harang) that I wouldn't trade for Salty. Anytime you can get a quality catcher with a quality bat, you have to do it. It's great value.

I think it would take more than Arroyo to get Salty from the Braves. they've been pretty adamant in their refusal to trade him. Maybe package a B-level prospect (LeCure?) along with Arroyo to get Salty and a PTBNL. I think that would be realistic and I would do it in a heartbeat given Arroyo's inconsistencies.

Tough one indeed. Would love an upgrade at catcher, which Salty is from what I read/hear, but Ross isnt that bad, decent catcher, not consistent hitter, but has a lil pop. I am from the old school of catching though, defense def comes first, any good hitting is a bonus. So, Ross is among the least of our problems (at least from what I can tell, I dont know if any of his calls or somethign he is doing isn't working with the bullpen, but I think he's doing alright. Arroyo is an important key to this team right now, even with not the year we were hoping for so far from him (not all his fault either). I dont know if I would make it, have to see all teh pieces of the trade to decide which road to go on this one.

The question you have to consider is when should the Reds aim to be a serious contender again? If they aim for next year they should stand pat on Dunn and possibly Griffey as well as Arroyo and look to rebuild the bullpen in the offseason and hope Bailey develops into a star next year. Realistically they are 2 to likely 3 years away from contention. At that point Bruce, Bailey and Votto should all be key, inexpensive contributors and Salty would fit well in that plan. You could use the money saved from trading Arroyo to extend and/or pay for arbitration raises for some of our current young contributors (BP, EE, Hamilton) and fill the holes in the bullpen and back end of the rotation.

i think it would be a bad move to trade arroyo personally, they are finally starting to have a decent starting rotation, and i think thats more important than a catcher that hits above average. i can live with ross as long as he plays great defense.

I'm on the fence on this one. I'm just really reluctant to trade a pitcher like Arroyo. As I mentioned in the thread about his extension being a mistake, he is an innings eater and puts up numbers that will be hard to replace. With as much trouble as this organization has had trying to find pitchers like Arroyo, the deal would have to bring a bit more than Salty in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    i think it would be a bad move to trade arroyo personally, they are finally starting to have a decent starting rotation, and i think thats more important than a catcher that hits above average. i can live with ross as long as he plays great defense.
    EXACTLY. Bronson Arroyo is a VERY CHEAP No. 2 starter in the current market. David Ross is a solid catcher. People who want an upgrade at the catcher position don't realize that a hitting catcher is going to cost $$$ while a good defensive catcher won't cost nearly as much. Ross might not hit, but he drives in runs, hits homers, and saves us runs on the defensive end. We don't need Salty at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post
    saves us runs on the defensive end
    Is Ross really that good defensively? He seems to do a poor job of blocking the plate and seems to have a hard time holding onto the ball in these situations. I will admit that he is good at throwing out runners.

I understand the argument that a good defensive catcher is a cheap alternative to a catcher with the whole package but I wonder if we'd be saying that if we knew what it was like to have a catcher who wasn't a black hole offensively. Its been a long time since Bench filled that role for us.

uoduck1017

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    The question you have to consider is when should the Reds aim to be a serious contender again? If they aim for next year they should stand pat on Dunn and possibly Griffey as well as Arroyo and look to rebuild the bullpen in the offseason and hope Bailey develops into a star next year. Realistically they are 2 to likely 3 years away from contention. At that point Bruce, Bailey and Votto should all be key, inexpensive contributors and Salty would fit well in that plan. You could use the money saved from trading Arroyo to extend and/or pay for arbitration raises for some of our current young contributors (BP, EE, Hamilton) and fill the holes in the bullpen and back end of the rotation.
    Great post. I think that is the thing a lot of Reds fans are missing. While we would like to believe the Reds are close to conteding, let's be honest...they're not. Arroyo has been a great pitcher for us, but let's face it, we could be this bad without him. Although Salty is definately unproven, do we know exactly what Arroyo will give us in the next couple of years?

Four million next year for Arroyo is a steal.This team needs any and all kinds of pitching,and with the limited financial resources it only makes sense to keep him.But then there's the infamous ''if'' which has become so common place over the year's with this team,if we could free up money,if we could get this or that player.
    And you don't build a good,long term starting rotation by trading away solid pitchers who eat a lot of inning's at GABP.

Quote Originally Posted by uoduck1017 View Post
    Great post. I think that is the thing a lot of Reds fans are missing. While we would like to believe the Reds are close to conteding, let's be honest...they're not. Arroyo has been a great pitcher for us, but let's face it, we could be this bad without him. Although Salty is definately unproven, do we know exactly what Arroyo will give us in the next couple of years?
    arroyo is not the reason we're losing though. you don't trade part of the answer because you can lose without someone. losing shouldn't be the ultimate goal. if this bullpen were fixed this team would be right in the thick of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Insider
    Heard an interesting rumor -- and that's may be all it is, a rumor -- that makes sense, to a certain degree: The Braves are interested in Cincinnati right-hander Bronson Arroyo. But I cannot imagine the Reds making that deal without getting Jarrod Saltalamacchia in return; so far, Cincinnati GM Wayne Krivsky has been asking for big-time return in his trade proposals. Arroyo had one of his best games of the season, by the way, and it may be that Saltalamacchia is about to become an everyday player.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    if this bullpen were fixed this team would be right in the thick of things.
    If this is the plan then I agree with you. If we plan on trading Dunn and/or Griffey, Hatte, Weathers, and Lohse then we might as well trade Arroyo too because we will be a few years from contention.

uoduck1017

I don't think fixing the bullpen would help as much as people think. The offense is inconsistent, and we have only really had 2 quality starters. Fixing the bullpen might have added some W's, but just how many?

Turn Off Ads?