Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brandon and Adam's RBI production.

Brandon and Adam's RBI production.

Adam Dunn has 63 rbi and Brandon Philips has 59 rbi. I have an absolutely wonderful idea. Let's move Keppinger or the other guy to second, and have Brandon Philips play left field.We then trade Adam Dunn for the best prospects we can. This way we keep our rbi production, hit a few less homers, and get some prospects back. Our defense may be an issue, though.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: Brandon and Adam's RBI production.

This website never ceases to amaze me.

Iam just saying that Adam Dunn and Brandon Philipps are producing almost the same number of Rbi. Adam Dunn has a lot more power, and he should have a lot more rbi than Philips. This either means Brandon is having a great year, or Adam Dunn is not producing the amount of Rbi he should in the middle of the order. I am sure it is a little bit of both.

While watching the game Tuesday night (I believe) I thought I heard one of the TV announcers say that the 4-5-6 hitters are the least productive part of the Reds' lineup. Did anyone else catch that and can it be verified?

I can see how 1-2-3 is the most product part considering how Griffey and Phillips are performing. I just have a hard time believing that 7-8-9 are better than the middle of the order.

And I'm sorry, but I can't go along with your original idea.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    While watching the game Tuesday night (I believe) I thought I heard one of the TV announcers say that the 4-5-6 hitters are the least productive part of the Reds' lineup. Did anyone else catch that and can it be verified?

I can see how 1-2-3 is the most product part considering how Griffey and Phillips are performing. I just have a hard time believing that 7-8-9 are better than the middle of the order.

And I'm sorry, but I can't go along with your original idea.
    Our 4-5-6 batters have been the worst in the National League by far going by the stat they showed Tuesday. But, you can't attribute that to certain players because Narron switched the lineup everyday it's hard telling who the 4th, 5th, and 6th batters were.

Think how many RBIs Dunn would have if he were properly used in the lineup. I think his 63 RBIs, good for 10th in the NL, are pretty darn good all things considered.

not really, 63 would be good if you just look at the stats, but all things considered it isn't that good. because his avg. with risp is terrible. and he has very long spells without hitting sac flies.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    not really, 63 would be good if you just look at the stats, but all things considered it isn't that good. because his avg. with risp is terrible. and he has very long spells without hitting sac flies.
    Watching the game today it amazes me that A Jones is having such a bad year, but has 62 RBI. Yet, oh-so-valuable Dunn has 63.

The way people get on Adam Dunn is amazing. The guy is good. RBI is not the only stat. Look at his runs scored OPS, OBP. He is a very under-valued player by Reds fans. Why i have no idea. The guy hits 40 100 100 every year. That is real good in my book.

My original idea was half-intended as a joke. I really am not sure Brandon Philips would do well in left field. However, Brandon Philips has almost the same amount of RBI as Adam Dunn, which I find unbelievable. I really am a supporter of Adam Dunn. I think he and Griffey are the two best players on the Reds. However, I was amazed by that rbi stat.Brandon Philips until recently was never put in the middle of the lineup, and yet he was able to drive enough runs in on a regular basis to approach Dunn in RBI. It could very well be that at the end of the season he is outproducing Dunn in RBI. Adam Dunn is in the middle of the lineup so he is expected to drive runs in, but a second baseman could outproduce him. I just thought it was an interesting bit of information.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    My original idea was half-intended as a joke. I really am not sure Brandon Philips would do well in left field. However, Brandon Philips has almost the same amount of RBI as Adam Dunn, which I find unbelievable. I really am a supporter of Adam Dunn. I think he and Griffey are the two best players on the Reds. However, I was amazed by that rbi stat.Brandon Philips until recently was never put in the middle of the lineup, and yet he was able to drive enough runs in on a regular basis to approach Dunn in RBI. It could very well be that at the end of the season he is outproducing Dunn in RBI. Adam Dunn is in the middle of the lineup so he is expected to drive runs in, but a second baseman could outproduce him. I just thought it was an interesting bit of information.
    In a way, Phillips is still an unknown. He continues to get better and seems to thrive in tough situations. I would love to see the Reds leave him in the 4 hole. EE can't do it, Conine is better lower in the lineup, and Phillips breaks up Junior and Dunn.

And, about Dunn, we know what he is. His numbers don't change much from year to year, game to game, and day to day. You can almost write it in stone that he will hit 40, .250, 100 rbi's, .380 OBP. etc... every year. But, they sky is the limit with Phillips. He is looking more and more like a better defensive version of Alfonso Soriano (with maybe slightly less power.)

In the end, what disappoints me about Dunn is that he doesn't seem to change anything. He built himself a hitting system: take pitches, swing hard. He never changes anything. He never adjusts. At the beginning of every season we hear the same thing. Dunn's going to go the other way with the ball. He's going to take a little off with two strikes. And he follows that regimen, for about a week. Then he starts pulling everything and the strikeouts mount. I feel like he could be a truly great hitter.
    Last edited by improbus; 07-19-2007 at 10:13 AM.

Talkin' Baseball

Adam Dunn has 63 rbi and Brandon Philips has 59 rbi. I have an absolutely wonderful idea. Let's move Keppinger or the other guy to second, and have Brandon Philips play left field.We then trade Adam Dunn for the best prospects we can. This way we keep our rbi production, hit a few less homers, and get some prospects back. Our defense may be an issue, though.
    I know you said this is a half-joke, but why would you want to turn a top 5 2B into a league average OF and replace him with a league average at best 2B?

My point was that with Brandon Philips in left, he could replace Adam's rbi production. He does not have the power, and who ever replaced him at 2b would not be as productive, but we would get prospects back for Adam which might offset any offensive hit we might take. I was just finding an amusing way of showing how similar their RBI numbers are, and how we could use that with the trade deadline approaching.

Talkin' Baseball

My point was that with Brandon Philips in left, he could replace Adam's rbi production. He does not have the power, and who ever replaced him at 2b would not be as productive, but we would get prospects back for Adam which might offset any offensive hit we might take. I was just finding an amusing way of showing how similar their RBI numbers are, and how we could use that with the trade deadline approaching.
    Right, but in that scenario, you are replacing Dunn's RBI production with Keppinger's and not with Phillips'. Besides, RBIs are dependent upon batting order and opportunity. I would look more at a stat like runs created in determining what type of effect such a swap might have on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post
    Think how many RBIs Dunn would have if he were properly used in the lineup. I think his 63 RBIs, good for 10th in the NL, are pretty darn good all things considered.
    For the record, he's hit in the 3-4-5 spots the vast majority of the season, 75 percent to be exact. The other 25 percent of his starts, he's hit in either the 2 or 6 spot.

Other than those 6 starts he hit second, I would say he's been in a prime RBI role.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Turn Off Ads?