Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brantley on Encarnacion

Brantley on Encarnacion

During Wednesday afternoon's Reds broadcast, Jeff Brantley said he just couldn't see Edwin Encarnacion being the Reds third baseman of the future. I am inclined to agree with the Cowboy. I'd rather see more of Keppinger and less of Eddie.
    Last edited by Redlegs; 07-18-2007 at 06:22 PM.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brantley on Encarnacion

Keppinger?

lol

What impresses you about Keppinger? 27 (Edwin is 24), and Keppinger has had 190 ABs in his career.

Keppinger is better then Edwin?

At what?

Cowboy has been drinking.

Does Keppinger have much experience at third base?

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Does Keppinger have much experience at third base?
    Does it matter?

He's 27 and on his 4th team.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    What impresses you about Keppinger?
    I guess the fact that he makes contact at the plate on a somewhat regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs View Post
    I guess the fact that he makes contact at the plate on a somewhat regular basis.
    That's done him a whole lot of good so far.

This reminds me of Marty saying Hopper is better then Dunn.

Is something in the water in the Reds radio booth?

Jeff Brantley also said White Sox fans would be crying in their beer before the 2005 season, and that if he could choose anybody in baseball to start a franchise, he would choose Jonathan Papelbon.

Consider the source.

Geez. One good game and people are ready to crown Keppinger 3B of future? Keppinger is a good backup infielder, but there's a reason he's with his 4th orgainization. Jeff Brantley just says really dumb things. A lot.

0-6 Today
    Most Vottomatic Player

Quote Originally Posted by kyred14 View Post
    Geez. One good game and people are ready to crown Keppinger 3B of future? Keppinger is a good backup infielder, but there's a reason he's with his 4th orgainization. Jeff Brantley just says really dumb things. A lot.
    Let me be clear here. Brantley didn't say anything about Keppinger being the 3rd baseman. I threw that in. Brantley simply stated he couldn't see Eddie being the 3rd baseman of the Reds future. I agree with that. As a Reds fan, I'd love to see Eddie prove me wrong. I just don't care for him.

Let me be clear here. Brantley didn't say anything about Keppinger being the 3rd baseman. I threw that in. Brantley simply stated he couldn't see Eddie being the 3rd baseman of the Reds future. I agree with that. As a Reds fan, I'd love to see Eddie prove me wrong. I just don't care for him.
    Care to explain why? And why Keppinger does "do it for you"?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Does it matter?

He's 27 and on his 4th team.

Brendan Harris is on his 5th team and is 27 yet people criticized WK for trading him. . . .and I'm sure you're probably one of those guys.

The Reds need to give EE constant ABs the rest of the year. No way should Freel play over him at 3B. Edwin has struggled a bit this year, but he is way too young with too much potential to give up on now. Especially in a lost year anyway.

uoduck1017

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post
    The Reds need to give EE constant ABs the rest of the year. No way should Freel play over him at 3B. Edwin has struggled a bit this year, but he is way too young with too much potential to give up on now. Especially in a lost year anyway.
    Bingo. There is no reason why Edwin can't be an average or above-average 3rd basemen for the next couple of years. I think he has the talent to be a very good player, but that talent is wasting away on the bench.

Encarnacion just hasnt seemed to make any adjustments this year. The scouting report is out and opposing pitchers are poudning him down and away. He needs to take some balls opposite field otherwise he is just going to be a mistake pitch hitter. Which is fine, but that is only going to get EE to be an average 3B which is what he is right now, average. He is 17th in OPS for everyday 3B (.715) and has the 16th best fielding percentage (tied for the 4th most errors with 9).

Overall EE can be an everyday average player but unless he makes some adjustments, improves his slugging percentage and starts hitting lefthanded pitching better he will not be end up being a star or being a middle of the lineup bat, which some people projected and expected him to be.

I think Brantley sees him making a position change. I would like to see EE learn to play either outfield or first base. I think he could be a pretty good left fielder. EE is an adaquate hitter but while his defense has improved it still leaves alot to be desired.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Turn Off Ads?