Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #46 prospect?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • RHP Tyler Cline

2 6.45%
  • RHP Justin Freeman

1 3.23%
  • RHP Jerry Gil

8 25.81%
  • UT Brodie Greene

1 3.23%
  • RHP Evan Hildenbrandt

0 0%
  • 1B/OF Jaren Matthews

2 6.45%
  • RHP Wes Mugarian

0 0%
  • OF Kurt Muller

0 0%
  • RHP Brian Pearl

1 3.23%
  • RHP Carlos Ramos

1 3.23%
  • RHP Josh Ravin

7 22.58%
  • SS Miguel Rojas

0 0%
  • OF Juan Silva

4 12.90%
  • LHP Mace Thurman

3 9.68%
  • RHP Chase Ware

1 3.23%

Thread: Who is Redszone's #46 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #46 prospect?

Prospect #1 - Aroldis Chapman, LHP
    Prospect #2 - Devin Mesoraco, C
    Prospect #3 - Yorman Rodriguez, CF
    Prospect #4 - Yonder Alonso, 1B
    Prospect #5 - Billy Hamilton, SS
    Prospect #6 - Yasmani Grandal, C
    Prospect #7 - Todd Frazier, IF/OF
    Prospect #8 - Juan Francisco, 3B
    Prospect #9 - Zack Cozart, SS
    Prospect #10 - David Sappelt, CF
    Prospect #11 - Donnie Joseph, LHP
    Prospect #12 - Ismael Guillon, LHP
    Prospect #13 - Brad Boxberger, RHP
    Prospect #14 - Chris Valaika, IF
    Prospect #15 - Kyle Lotzkar, RHP
    Prospect #16 - Ryan LaMarre, OF
    Prospect #17 - Juan Duran, OF
    Prospect #18 - Junior Arias, SS
    Prospect #19 - Sam Lecure, RHP
    Prospect #20 - Ronald Torreyes, IF
    Prospect #21 - Neftali Soto, IF
    Prospect #22 - Jonathan Correa, RHP
    Prospect #23 - Danny Dorn, 1B/OF
    Prospect #24 - Henry Rodriguez, IF
    Prospect #25 - Kris Negron, IF
    Prospect #26 - Daryl Thompson, RHP
    Prospect #27 - Didi Gregorius, SS
    Prospect #28 - Drew Cisco, RHP
    Prospect #29 - Cody Puckett, IF/OF
    Prospect #30 - Dan Corcino, RHP
    Prospect #31 - Phil Valiquette, LHP
    Prospect #32 - Felix Perez, OF
    Prospect #33 - Jake Johnson, RHP
    Prospect #34 - Mark Fleury, C
    Prospect #35 - Tucker Barnhart, C
    Prospect #36 - Jeremy Horst, LHP
    Prospect #37 - Kyle Waldrop, OF
    Prospect #38 - Humberto Valor, SS
    Prospect #39 - Jordan Hotchkiss, RHP
    Prospect #40 - Scott Carroll, RHP
    Prospect #41 - Matt Klinker, RHP
    Prospect #42 - Dan Tuttle, RHP
    Prospect #43 - Matt Fairel, LHP
    Prospect #44 - Tanner Robles, LHP
    Prospect #45 - JC Sulbaran, RHP

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #46 prospect?

Seven straight starting pitchers. Of course, there's nothing wrong with that. Just an interesting commentary on where we think the starting pitching ranks in the organization, and how difficult it is to separate one from the next.

If I were to go with another starter this time, it would be Mugarian, although I can certainly understand a Ravin vote. But I'm sticking with relief: Mace Thurman.

That said, several relievers listed here--Thurman, Justin Freeman, Chase Ware, Carlos Ramos, even Jerry Gil--are top-50 material, in my view. And all sleepers.
    Last edited by mace; 03-15-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Josh Ravin. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Josh Ravin. Again.
    Hey Doug how about an update, the Ravin I know has a very long history of command/control issues. I think at this juncture alot of folks have given up on him so perhaps some kind of state of the player address might help garner him some votes.

I'll hold off on my vote for awhile to see your response.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I went with Freeman. I liked what I saw last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Hey Doug how about an update, the Ravin I know has a very long history of command/control issues. I think at this juncture alot of folks have given up on him so perhaps some kind of state of the player address might help garner him some votes.

I'll hold off on my vote for awhile to see your response.
    His fastball is slightly above average at this point, but can still run it up to 94. Love his curveball. Change up is solid. Control isn't great, but its not poor either. Could use some work, but again, we are talking about the #46 prospect in the system here.

Here is some video I took of him in August.

YouTube - Josh Ravin pitching for the Lynchburg Hillcats

Terrific curveball. I voted for him at 45 and will do so again.

Nice easy delivery too.

Wow, look at Jerry Gil. I don't have a problem with it, but I do find it somewhat surprising, given his performance since he was switched to pitching. Could somebody who voted for him elaborate a bit as to why? kc? cinreds? will? klw? Somebody?

Gil did get my attention in his appearance on TV against the Cubs. I expected him to just be using that good arm to blow guys away (and walking them instead, as often as not), but he was actually pitching. Just wondering if he'd made some substantial progress that I hadn't heard about.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Wow, look at Jerry Gil. I don't have a problem with it, but I do find it somewhat surprising, given his performance since he was switched to pitching. Could somebody who voted for him elaborate a bit as to why? kc? cinreds? will? klw? Somebody?

Gil did get my attention in his appearance on TV against the Cubs. I expected him to just be using that good arm to blow guys away (and walking them instead, as often as not), but he was actually pitching. Just wondering if he'd made some substantial progress that I hadn't heard about.
    Gil was making some good impressions in camp, and his numbers so far this spring have been very good (3 IP, 2 H, 0 RA, 0 BB, 3 SO).

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Gil was making some good impressions in camp, and his numbers so far this spring have been very good (3 IP, 2 H, 0 RA, 0 BB, 3 SO).
    Is any amount of spring training innings worth placing over last season, much less THREE innings? Really, he isn't showing anything in spring that he didn't show last year over plenty of three inning stretches. I guess the difference is that some people have now seen him who had no clue about him before.

Is any amount of spring training innings worth placing over last season, much less THREE innings? Really, he isn't showing anything in spring that he didn't show last year over plenty of three inning stretches. I guess the difference is that some people have now seen him who had no clue about him before.
    And he looks good to boot. I have to admit I have seen 2 of his outings this spring and I was overly impressed considering he's what a year or 2 away from switching from SS. He seemed to work in the zone pretty well, throws fairly hard and seemed to have pretty good secondary stuff. He did have a pitch or 2 get a little wild but it seemed every other pitch he threw was a strike.

The argument I think can be made pretty easy for him in this spot. As a matter of fact when I look at it I really can't see why anyone would vote Ravin over him here. Not trying to be argumentative but I just really don't see it. It seems to me the Reds are saying we might have something here.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I went with Gil as it seems he is getting a shot from the team, has been at high levels of the minor leagues, and has a very live arm. This would seem like he may get a shot as a bullpen role at some point which at 46 seems to be enough to separate him out. Unfortunately I don't know enough about these guys at this point in the process to have a clear order of how they will play out especially for the guys at the lowere levels. As Gil is in the upper tier of levels, has upside and is getting a shot that was enough for my vote at 46.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    And he looks good to boot. I have to admit I have seen 2 of his outings this spring and I was overly impressed considering he's what a year or 2 away from switching from SS. He seemed to work in the zone pretty well, throws fairly hard and seemed to have pretty good secondary stuff. He did have a pitch or 2 get a little wild but it seemed every other pitch he threw was a strike.

The argument I think can be made pretty easy for him in this spot. As a matter of fact when I look at it I really can't see why anyone would vote Ravin over him here. Not trying to be argumentative but I just really don't see it. It seems to me the Reds are saying we might have something here.
    Ravin vs Gil is an easy one for me. Gil is 28 and a reliever. Ravin is 22 and a starter, and if he was put in the bullpen I would take his fastball/curveball over Gil's fastball and slider without thinking twice about it.

Ravin vs Gil is an easy one for me. Gil is 28 and a reliever. Ravin is 22 and a starter, and if he was put in the bullpen I would take his fastball/curveball over Gil's fastball and slider without thinking twice about it.
    Interesting, well I know one thing Josh better get it together this season, he should be rule V eligible after this year, right?

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?