Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prospect Profile: Todd Frazier

Re: Prospect Profile: Todd Frazier

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    That's quite an endorsement. I've been slow to jump on the Frazier bandwagon, but this goosed me good.
    Might I ask why you have been slow to get behind Frazier?

2. Turn Off Ads?

It wasn't that I didn't like him; I just didn't like him as much as everybody else seemed to. First, he doesn't really have a position. As an infielder, I prefer Francisco's power, Valaika's contact, Waring's glove, Soto's potential. Doesn't have a lot of speed. Nothing jumped out at me. But now, with this report on his character, that jumps out. That makes everything else look a little better.

I believe it was Tom Archdeacon of the Dayton Daily News who first used the term "natural born leader" to describe Frazier. He is a vocal leader with a lot of charisma. I first noticed at spring training that Frazier was the guy in the dugout encouraging everyone. On the field, I liked his instincts. He has decent speed, but he would be the guy that would take an extra base on an outfielder because he was always on the lookout for a chance to go from first to third and if there was the slightest hesitation, he was on his way. He is the type of guy who is always going to be better than his numbers indicate because he understands the game. Example, someone else might steal 25 bases, but Frazier would be the guy would might steal third with one out in a tie game in the ninth because he noticed that the pitcher wasn't paying attention, and then score the winning run on a fly ball. In the box score, it was just a stolen base, but in reality, it won you a game. That's Frazier. That's what separates him from most players.

You had me at "natural born leader" . . .

Actually, after doing a quick google, it was Donnie Scott who coined that phrase to describe Frazier in an article written by Archdeacon. If you have not seen the article, it is well worth reading. It describes the Frazier we saw in Dayton quite well. Here's the link:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...808sparch.html

Good grief, the guy even won the national Punt, Pass & Kick contest. Next, we'll find out that he was the first Little League champ to edit the Harvard Law Review.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Actually, after doing a quick google, it was Donnie Scott who coined that phrase to describe Frazier in an article written by Archdeacon. If you have not seen the article, it is well worth reading. It describes the Frazier we saw in Dayton quite well. Here's the link:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...808sparch.html
    Good read here it is, I figure I might as well add this to the profile. Between him and the rest of the competitive and talented young players we have Votto, Alonso, Bruce, BP, Cueto we have one strong core in store.

Tom Archdeacon: Dragons' Frazier is this season's hit
    By Tom Archdeacon

Staff Writer

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

DAYTON — As the first home game now gives way to the first month of baseball, then the first half of the season and right on through an entire summer of Dayton Dragons baseball, you'll forget those Opening Day skydivers, the F-16 flyovers, that little girl with the big pipes who belted out the national anthem, the postgame fireworks, even the evening's perfect 72-degree weather.

You probably won't even remember the Dragons edged Fort Wayne 3-2 at Fifth Third Field on Monday night, April 7.

But one thing you won't forget as the season goes on, manager Donnie Scott promised, is Dragons shortstop Todd Frazier.

"This guy is pretty legit," he said of the Cincinnati Reds No. 1 pick in the supplemental draft last year. "There's something special with his bat — the way the ball jumps off it. There's a different sound to it. A major-league sound. For people around the game for a while, you can tell the difference. ... And believe me that's what he's here for — to hit."

And so far this season — at least when he gets a chance to swing — he's hitting .385 and has one home run. He doubled and scored a run Monday, but was walked twice — giving him eight in Dayton's first five games — by pitchers who know his reputation.

Just as important as his lumber is his leadership, Scott said: "I know there's been a knock in Cincinnati years back that there really weren't any leaders in the clubhouse. Well, this guy's gonna be that guy, no ifs, ands or buts about it.

"This guy's makeup is off the charts. Common sense, a sense of humor, extremely competitive, tough — he's a natural born leader."

Phew! That's a lot to dump on one guy, but Frazier — a 6-foot-3 22-year-old from Toms River, N.J. — appears able to handle it.

He's got the genes. His dad, Charles, a 6-foot-8 prep star in Toms River, set several records playing basketball and baseball at Morehead State in Kentucky. His mom, Joan, was an Olympic-caliber freestyle swimmer at Trenton State.

His oldest brother, Charlie, played 6 years in the Marlins organization, and brother, Jeff, is with the Detroit Tigers Class AA team in Erie, Pa.

Yet no branch on the family tree is quite like Todd's, both in soaring accomplishment and grounded attitude.

As a first-round pick, he got an $875,000 signing bonus, yet he drives a 1998 Toyota Camry with 100,000 miles on it. He's a home run hitter and yet his favorite player wasn't a swing-for-the-fences big-leaguer, but instead Pete Rose.

As for being a top draft pick, that's not even his most celebrated achievement. As a 9-year-old, he won the national Punt, Pass and Kick competition in Kansas City.

Three years later, he led his Toms River team to the Little League World Series title, going 4-for-4 and hitting a home run in the championship game against Japan.

"Playing in front of a packed house — 42,000 — was an unbelievable feeling," he said. "And when we got home, the whole town just shut down. They took us all over Toms River on a fire truck. People still talk about it. It's something folks back there said they'll never forget."

When it comes to Todd Frazier, that's the way it still is.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 12-04-2008 at 04:50 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I question Frazier. It really all boils down to position for me.

If he's a SS, he's a top ten prospect in baseball.

If he's a 2B or a 3B, he's Top 50 or so. Perhaps Top 40.

If he's an OF, he's Danny Dorn with a better publicist.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I question Frazier. It really all boils down to position for me.

If he's a SS, he's a top ten prospect in baseball.

If he's a 2B or a 3B, he's Top 50 or so. Perhaps Top 40.

If he's an OF, he's Danny Dorn with a better publicist.
    Frazier's bat is good enough for any position on the diamond, and while I'm a big Dorn fan, comparing Frazier to him isn't a fair comparison IMO. Unlike Dorn, Frazier doesn't have any drastic platoon splits.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Dorn is so caught under this "can't hit lefty's label" He's older than Frazier, but his numbers were definitely better. As long as he keeps mashing righties, is it that big of a deal?

It sounds like Frazier the fundamentals to play short, but not the range. It there a possibility that he could stick at second? As long as he's at least average at second, a DP combo of Phillips and Frazier would be pretty impressive.

Frazier is a corner infielder. If there is no opening there, he becomes a corner outfielder. I don't think the "doesn't have a position" label is exactly fair since they have not really given him a chance anywhere but shortstop. The fact that they bounced him around everywhere last year is not his fault. He played well wherever they played him. They need to settle on a position for him and let him learn to play that position. If Frazier is assigned to a team in April and is that team's opening night shortstop, we are still running in place here.

Here is the way I see, and someone else can chime in if they see it differently. At Carolina, you have three players to play two positions in Frazier, Alonso, and Francisco. All three are among your top prospects. Two of those three really only play one position. That means the third guy, who can play another position, probably moves. That would leave Alonso at first, Francisco at third, and Frazier in left field.

Making it a little more complicated is that you basically have three positions at the big league level that you think are set for years. Those three positions are first base, second base, and right field. Your number one pick last year can only play one position and it is one of the three I just mentioned. If you have to move the guy who's playing first base in the big leagues, who was the best position player you had last season, the only place he can go is the spot where I just said I thought they would move Frazier.

They have some tough decisions to make.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Those wide stances are sometimes to remedy a long strider. A long stride can really,really slow down the bat. Spread it out and there is nowhere to stride; just a pick up of the foot and back down slightly, then get the hips and hands through faster. That long stride stuff is worse than a hitch a lot of times.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    Those wide stances are sometimes to remedy a long strider. A long stride can really,really slow down the bat. Spread it out and there is nowhere to stride; just a pick up of the foot and back down slightly, then get the hips and hands through faster. That long stride stuff is worse than a hitch a lot of times.
    And the stride can cause more head movement which can directly affect squaring up the ball. I feel like the less movement the better generally speaking. But it's more about what makes you feel comfortable and as long as it makes you feel comfortable and you make it work just fine then no biggie. With Todd so far so good but we'll see more later.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Here is the way I see, and someone else can chime in if they see it differently. At Carolina, you have three players to play two positions in Frazier, Alonso, and Francisco. All three are among your top prospects. Two of those three really only play one position. That means the third guy, who can play another position, probably moves. That would leave Alonso at first, Francisco at third, and Frazier in left field.

Making it a little more complicated is that you basically have three positions at the big league level that you think are set for years. Those three positions are first base, second base, and right field. Your number one pick last year can only play one position and it is one of the three I just mentioned. If you have to move the guy who's playing first base in the big leagues, who was the best position player you had last season, the only place he can go is the spot where I just said I thought they would move Frazier.

They have some tough decisions to make.
    And you know what they aren't really all that tough frankly. There is at least 2-3 reasonable reasons for holding Francisco back for the start of the season. There are no good reasons for doing the same to Frazier.

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?