Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Prospect Profile: Todd Frazier

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Re: Prospect Profile: Todd Frazier

I'm not too worried about the logjam between Alonso, Frazier, and Francisco; just stick them at 1B, 3B, and LF, respectively. The player who gets really shafted by this, though, is Logan Parker. He made a lot of progress last year and could turn into a solid first baseman. I'd hate to see him held back in Sarasota. Based on his age and performance, he deserves an opportunity in AA.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Dorn: 5.87 RC/27 A+ (2007)
    Frazier: 5.89 RC/27 A+ (2008)

Dorn was six months older at the same level.

Just sayin'.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2...rolina_to.html

From Toms River to Carolina, former Rutgers star Todd Frazier continues to swing for the fences

by M.A. Mehta/The Star-Ledger
    Sunday July 12, 2009, 12:21 AM

Along the main drag on the eastern side of Billings, Mont., the Beer Batter delivered.

Raised on a steady diet of Wendy's, chicken parm and pizza, he stepped up to the plate for the first time and sent hundreds of thirsty strangers into a discount-induced frenzy with one unconventional swing.

Organized chaos swept across the crumbling old ballpark. A horn sounded. A special light was lit.

The Beer Batter's first hit as a professional - an RBI single - was pretty cool, but an event of much greater significance had taken place for fans of the Billings Mustangs of the rookie Pioneer League that summer night in 2007: Dollar Beers for everyone for the rest of the inning!

Todd Frazier, designated the Beer Batter as part of a popular in-game promotion, was just happy to give the folks some cheap Yellowstone Grizzly Wulff.

Less than three years into a pro career that began with fans sprinting for some suds, the former Rutgers All-America is climbing the ranks in the Cincinnati Reds farm system. Frazier, currently playing for the Double-A Carolina Mudcats, will be the starting left fielder for the North Division in the Southern League All-Star Game Monday in Birmingham, Ala.

"It's been a crazy road," the Toms River native said. "Who knows where I'll be next?"

From Big Sky country to Dayton, Ohio, to Sarasota, Fla., to Hawaii to Zebulon, N.C., Frazier - the second-rated prospect in the organization, according to Baseball America - has inched closer to the ultimate destination.

"He has the 'IT' factor," said Carolina hitting coach Ryan Jackson. "There's no question in my mind that he's going to be a major league ballplayer. The pure determination and character of this guy is going to get him to the big leagues."

Frazier hasn't surprised anyone. After all, he was born to play the game.

BASEBALL FAMILY

In many ways, 23-year-old Todd Frazier is the same freckle-faced kid with a mouthful of braces, who stole the show in Williamsport, Pa., in 1998.

He was 12 (and 110 pounds soaking wet) when Toms River East stunned the Little League universe by beating Japan to become unlikely champions. The Japanese team shouted, "Hello, Mr. Home Run hitter!" when they passed the skinny boy in the cafeteria after a grand slam earlier in the tournament. Frazier, who recorded the final out on the mound, hit .600 with four home runs during the magical run 11 years ago. Then, he hit the beach for some well-deserved R&R.

While Frazier doesn't spend his free time crashing into waves at the Jersey shore anymore, the memories are fresh in his mind.

"If I don't hear something about Jersey every day, it's out of the ordinary," Jackson laughed. "I would think something was wrong."

Frazier's pedigree, of course, helped shape his success.

His oldest brother, Charlie, was drafted out of Toms River South by the Florida Marlins in 1999. His brother, Jeff, the Star-Ledger's Player of the Year in 2001, starred at Rutgers before the Detroit Tigers selected him in the third-round in 2004. He's currently playing at Triple-A in Toledo.

"Baseball was the family's love," said Rutgers coach Fred Hill. "His dad was also baseball player. You got baseball talk all the time. That pushed him forward."

Frazier, the 2007 Big East Player of the Year, landed an $850,000 signing bonus for being the 34th overall selection in the 2007 draft. He's taken pieces of advice from his father and brothers through the years.

Charlie emphasized pitch selection. Jeff urged fun. His father, Charlie, Sr., preached selective amnesia: Good or bad day, the sun will surely rise the next morning.

"All great advice," Frazier said. "You got to be positive in this game no matter what happens. You just got to know you're going to succeed."

MAKING ADJUSTMENTS

Frazier rattled off the dizzying number of position changes with speed and accuracy.

"Played shortstop all season in Montana," he said. "Shortstop in Dayton. The last four or five days, I played a little left field, first base and third base. In Sarasota, they bounced me around a couple games in left, a couple games at third, a couple games at short, a couple games at first. This year, mainly left field. A little bit of first. And only a couple games at third. No games at shortstop anymore."

Frazier may have been an All-America college shortstop, but the Reds decided his size (6-3, 220 pounds) and limited range were enough to move him. Frazier, hardly a complainer, accepted his fate, bent on perfecting the position du jour.

"It's crazy," Frazier said. "You don't know what's going to happen. I'm having fun in left field now, but if they want to move me somewhere else, I'll start from scratch. Whatever they say goes. I understand that fully and know it's all for the best."

The organization has maintained that Frazier's versatility will only bolster his credentials at the next level.

"He's going to do anything and everything he can to get to where he wants to get," said Reds minor league hitting coordinator Ronnie Ortegon. "He's so strong mentally. It also gives him another bit of ammunition."

The defensive migrations haven't affected the right-handed hitting Frazier's offensive production. Frazier, the Scarlet Knights' all-time leader in home runs, has excelled at the plate despite a "high maintenance swing with some funkiness to it," according to Ortegon.

Or, as Hill put it, "I don't think you like most hitters to do that. On the other hand, he can hit."
    Despite Frazier's tendency to straighten his left arm on his swing, he's produced at every stop. He leads the Southern League in doubles (31) and ranks in the Top 6 in batting average (.314), slugging percentage (.498), hits (102) and total bases (162).

Frazier, who will participate in the Home Run Derby Sunday as part of the All-Star festivities, has focused on timing rather than dwelling on unconventional swing mechanics.

"He makes adjustments from one at-bat to the next," Jackson said. "That's the sign of a major league hitter. It becomes more of a mind game as you move up the ladder."

BIG LEAGUE BOUND

When his mind presses the fast forward button, Frazier quickly puts on the brakes.
    He'd love to be a September call-up when major league rosters expand to 40 players. But…
    "When the time is right," he said. "I'll get my opportunity. Maybe it'll happen. Maybe it won't. I just have to keep producing."

It's a philosophy preached throughout the organization. Growing numbers of top-flight prospects may be making the leap from Double-A to the majors, but the Reds have taken a more conservative approach.

"Anything is possible," Jackson said of Frazier reaching the big leagues this season. "He wants to get there as soon as he can. But I just want to make sure that when the time comes -¬ boom! - he's there to stay."

The Reds have made little secret that they want to Frazier to hit the ground running when he reaches the majors.

"I think he'll determine that on how he continues to progress," Ortegon said. "You do what you're supposed to be doing and you'll force the issue. You'll make us have to make a decision. He's well aware of that."

So, Frazier continues to impress, learning every day and even tweaking his dietary staple of fast food that served him well for so long.

"You can't get used to that any more," Frazier said. "Your body's just going to fail. You got to get some healthy food in there now."

A long pause.

"But," he said, breaking into a laugh, "some chicken parm and buffalo wings can't hurt you every once in a while, you know what I mean?"

M.A. Mehta may be reached at mmehta@starledger.com. For more Rutgers and baseball news, follow him on his twitter page.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Time for an update.

PHP Code:
    Basic Statistics 
    Year Age Lvl Tm         PA  AB  R  H   2B 3B HR RBI HBP BB SO SB AVG  OBP  SLG OPS 
    2007 21  Rk  Billings   186 160 29 51  6  5  5  25  7   18 22 3 .319 .409 .513 922 
    2007 21   A  Dayton     24  22  4  7   3  0  2  5   0   2  4  0 .318 .375 .727 1.102 
    2008 21 Wnt  Waikiki    17  15  1  5   3  0  0  4   0   0  2  0 .333 .294 .533 827 
    2008 22   A  Dayton     124 109 25 36  10 0  7  20  0   15 26 4 .330 .411 .615 1.026 
    2008 22  A
    +  Sarasota   414 366 62 103 20 3  12 54  4   41 84 8 .281 .357 .451 808 
    2009 23  AA  Carolina   500 451 59 131 40 2  14 68  2   42 67 7 .290 .350 .481 831 
    2009 23 AAA  Louisville 69  63  9  19  5  0  2  9   0   6  12 2 .302 .362 .476 838 
    PHP Code:
    Extended Statistics 
    Year Age Lvl Team       PA  AB  ISOP BB
    %   K%   BABIP GBLD%   wOBA 
    2007 21  Rk  Billings   186 160 .194 9.7
    %  11.8.346 3924%   .402 
    2007 21   A  Dayton     24  22  .409 8.3
    %  16.7.313 3112%   .453 
    2008 21 Wnt  Waikiki    17  15  .200 0.0
    %  11.8.385 2727%   .325 
    2008 22   A  Dayton     124 109 .285 12.1
    21.0.382 4113%   .435 
    2008 22  A
    +  Sarasota   414 366 .170 9.9%  20.3.337 3226%   .349 
    2009 23  AA  Carolina   500 451 .191 8.4
    %  13.4.316 3324%   .357 
    2009 23 AAA  Louisville 69  63  .174 8.7
    %  17.4.347 3522%   .366 
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Man, the model of consistency. It's hard not to see him doing the same anywhere he goes. At 24 in 2010, it's finally time to see Frazier in Cincinnati, although it may not be until late in the year. June at the earliest if he really breaks out in AAA and the need is there in Cincinnati.

More Kevin Goldstein from Baseball Prospectus:

"Mario66 (Toronto): Any word on what position Todd Frazier will ultimately play? Also, are Klaw's concerns about his arm bar swing shared by others or can he be a #5/6 hitter in a decent lineup despite an unorthodox approach (a la Hunter Pence perhaps)?

Kevin Goldstein: I think he might finally have found a home at second. I like your Pence analogy in the sense that it's more than a bit funky, but I think he's proven it works for him."

Prospect Profile Todd Frazier

Julio Teheran was named the #1 prospect in the Appy League, not bad considering Bentacourt was #1 in the GCL and Heyward will be #1 in the Southern League.

Way late for much interest (2010 piece) for us but I'd like to add it for future reference and try to do some catching up on this profile. But the guy makes some astute points, for more click the link.

Link

Prospect Report: Todd Frazier

He has seen time all across the diamond, playing 1B, 3B, SS and OF during his two plus years in the Reds system. While its great to view him as a potential utility option, his bat has the potential to be so much more than that.

He hit .292 with 16 HR and 77 RBI in 534 AB between Double & Triple-A last season, so Im sure many people are questioning things. Those are pedestrian numbers, looking more like a role player than anything else. Taking that stance would be a drastic miscalculation.

First off all, he hit 45 doubles last season to go along with a flyball rate of 45.2%. While the flyball rate may drop, at least a little bit, the fact that he was able to generate that many doubles (as well as two triples) is a great sign for fantasy owners for two reasons.

First of all, at 23-years old it is very easy to believe that his power has not yet reached its full potential. At the time he was drafted, mlb.coms scouting report for Frazier said that he has plus raw power and projects to have above-average gap power as a pro.

Additionally, Baseball America, who ranked him as the Reds second best prospect prior to the 2009 season (and 60th overall), said Frazier has above-average raw power and translates it well into games. While he has an unconventional swing, he clearly understands it and knows how to make adjustments. Since turning pro, he has learned to quicken his stride, enabling him to get his left foot down quicker and handle fastballs that previously gave him trouble.

--Woody Hayes

12/16/10

MLB.com Link

Aided by Louisville manager Rick Sweet and hitting coach Smoky Garrett, Frazier worked his way out of the hole, too. He batted .258 for the season with 17 home runs and 66 RBIs in 130 games.

"I thought he did a great job," said Bill Bavasi, the Reds' vice president of scouting and player development. "The idea of him getting off to a real bad start is not a bad thing for me. I think these guys need to battle adversity in the Minor Leagues. It's a tragedy if the first adversity they ever face is in the big leagues. The idea to get the opportunity to fight through something at the Minor League level is perfect. It's the silver lining."

--Woody Hayes

CBSSports.com

Frazier puts in the work in offseason: MLB.com reports Reds OF/INF prospect Todd Frazier has been working hard this offseason in Florida. "I feel strong and a lot quicker, too," he said. "It's going to be a big year coming into spring training and getting a good start early to open up some eyes and hopefully see what happens." Frazier has been training at an academy in the Tampa Bay area that also hosts the likes of Derek Jeter, Ryan Howard, Carlos Quentin and Jed Lowrie. "It's been fun," Frazier said. "It's a great atmosphere pumping some iron and hitting some balls. You talk to them about certain situations and stuff. They are very articulate about it."
    (Updated 01/30/2011)

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?