Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Prospect Profile: Drew Stubbs

Re: Prospect Profile: Drew Stubbs

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    With all do respect, this discussion has really happened a million times here. It was a bad pick. Lincecum was the choice. 90% of Redszone said so at the time.

I was hoping this thread could be more about Drew Stubbs' progress rather than guys the Reds should have had instead of Drew Stubbs. But I definitely do agree that Stubbs is not where he needs to be. He has a very long road to go as a hitter.
    Redszone is like talk radio. I would say more but apparently only certain people are allowed to rip on other certain people on this board.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think the reason people are very dubious is that last year, before the draft, the various publicly available scouting reports about Stubbs said he was a great athlete with a questionable bat.

Having read that before the draft, I think folks have concerns about his actual hitting performance in Rookie ball and Low A.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think the reason people are very dubious is that last year, before the draft, the various publicly available scouting reports about Stubbs said he was a great athlete with a questionable bat.

Having read that before the draft, I think folks have concerns about his actual hitting performance in Rookie ball and Low A.
    Exactly. It was pretty much widespread that a team would be making a foolish decision by drafting him in the first round. Then we take him with the No. 8 overall pick with an obvious pitcher sitting right there and I wanted to vomit.

It would be one thing if he was this great college player who just couldn't make the jump. But the guy simply was never that good. It has nothing to do with a toe injury or getting used to the wooden bat. He is not good and it was a horrible pick.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Exactly. It was pretty much widespread that a team would be making a foolish decision by drafting him in the first round. Then we take him with the No. 8 overall pick with an obvious pitcher sitting right there and I wanted to vomit.

It would be one thing if he was this great college player who just couldn't make the jump. But the guy simply was never that good. It has nothing to do with a toe injury or getting used to the wooden bat. He is not good and it was a horrible pick.
    So you hated the pick from day 1 and won't take the time to look at any of the good he has done? You also say its not like he was never good and couldn't make the jump? The jump to what? In college he was a STUD.
    As for having an injury and it having no bearing on whether he is good or not.... I am sorry, but thats fairly laughable. Sure there was hardly anyone who didn't question his bat coming out of the draft, but that has nothing to do with him being hurt and not playing at 100% right now. Still, outside of 1 horrible month, the guy has an OPS of .850 the rest of the season and you have already labeled him as a bust at the age of 22.

I like Stubbs. Though he is old, he has plenty of time to develop. I just hope we don't have another Chris Dickerson on our hands. I think he has plenty of power, and that might be enough to make him an everyday player. If so, his defense would anchor an outfield.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I like Stubbs. Though he is old, he has plenty of time to develop. I just hope we don't have another Chris Dickerson on our hands. I think he has plenty of power, and that might be enough to make him an everyday player. If so, his defense would anchor an outfield.
    22 is not old. If he is 27 and still at A level, then we have cause to worry.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Exactly. It was pretty much widespread that a team would be making a foolish decision by drafting him in the first round.

I don't recall seeing any publications that suggested that it would be foolish making him a first round pick, much less that it was widespeed.

My recollection was that he was rated, more or less, where he was picked by the Reds.

Sources?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I don't recall seeing any publications that suggested that it would be foolish making him a first round pick, much less that it was widespeed.

My recollection was that he was rated, more or less, where he was picked by the Reds.

Sources?
    Exactly. He was the 2nd rated college position player in the draft according to nearly every source outside of this board behind Evan Longoria. If the Reds would have passedon him there were several other teams that were interested in taking him before he even got to the 15th pick.

Last 10 games:

Code:
    Date    OPP    AVG  AB  R  H  2B  3B  HR  RBI  BB  SO  SB  CS 

Aug 06  BEL   .000   3  1  0   0   0   0   0    0   0   0   0 
    Aug 07  @QC   .000   3  0  0   0   0   0   0    0   2   0   0 
    Aug 09  @QC   .750   4  2  3   0   0   1   1    0   0   1   0 
    Aug 10  @QC   .500   4  1  2   0   0   0   0    1   0   0   0 
    Aug 11  @BUR  .500   4  1  2   1   0   0   1    0   0   0   0 
    Aug 12  @BUR  .500   4  0  2   0   1   0   1    0   0   0   0 
    Aug 13  @BUR  .000   4  1  0   0   0   0   0    0   0   0   0 
    Aug 14  @BUR  .800   5  2  4   1   0   0   1    0   0   0   0 
    Aug 16  @GLL  .333   3  1  1   0   0   1   2    0   0   0   0 
    Aug 17  @GLL  .667   6  3  4   0   0   1   1    1   2   0   1 

Totals        .450  40 12 18   2   1   3   7    2   4   1   1

Season Stats to date:

Code:
    Team  League  AVG   G   AB   R   H   2B  3B  HR  RBI   TB  BB  SO  SB  CS  OBP  SLG  OPS 

DAY    MID   .269  113 438  82  118  25   4  11   35  184  61 128  22  15 .366 .420 .786
    Since moving out of the lead-off spot, Stubb's plate approach seems to be drastically different. His strikeouts and walks are way down, and his power and hits are way up. it will be interesting if this new appraoch continues to be the difference with Stubbs and if he continues improving.

He's been great the last month, and if his power continues to blossom here at the end, Stubbs' at one point lost season has been overall okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post

He's been great the last month, and if his power continues to blossom here at the end, Stubbs' at one point lost season has been overall okay.
    June was the only time in the season where Drew was really struggling.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    June was the only time in the season where Drew was really struggling.
    I'm just saying it wasn't that long ago his OPS was in the the low .700 range. Since then, he has been on fire.

Drew can thank his coaching staff for making him choke up. He has been raking ever since. Sometimes the adjustments are just that simple. Drew is starting to become the player the Reds thought he would be when they made him their #1 pick.

What team should Stubbs start with next year? I would think he should be at Sarasota or Chatanooga.

Chattanooga. Stubbs will be 23 years old in October, no need to to start him at Sarasota next season.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Chattanooga. Stubbs will be 23 years old in October, no need to to start him at Sarasota next season.

Whoa. Let's step back a minute.

I don't think a hot streak in the last month of the A ball season proves anything, except that Stubbs is capable of a hot streak. That's fine but it is the end of the season, presumably some younger pitchers are up, some teams are out of it, and it's hard to evaluate whether Stubbs has really turned a corner.

With all, Stubbs is still OPSing .786. And while Doug is always noting his injury and his good months, his overall offensive minor league record still, well, raises questions.

The last thing I would do with this kid is skip a level. No way, no how. Let him start next year at High A ball. We all hope he rakes at that level. If so, there is plenty of time for Double A.

Stubbs needs to start next year off hot, not to be struggling to master AA. So let's be happy for his recent success, but take things slowly.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-18-2007 at 06:25 PM.

Turn Off Ads?